Real Expediters Do NOT Use GPS...

ErieBigDawg

Seasoned Expediter
That is not what I think, but what one of the owners I run for thinks.

I am a firm believer of technology. If it is available, I will use it.

This owner and I have had actual verbal fights on the phone about this.

How else would you find one of these small towns we go to that are NOT even on the map?

YES, I can read a map, but with GPS, I only do when actually I NEED to.

My question to the membership is the following: Do you use GPS or only maps and do you think this owner is a jerk?

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter

How else would you find one of these small towns we go to that are NOT even on the map?

My question to the membership is the following: Do you use GPS or only maps and do you think this owner is a jerk?

I think this guy is either an old stubborn dude who refuses the technology, or a real cheap one who doesn't want to invest too much money in his business... I used maps when the GPS wasn't available... since the GPS is on the market, I gave up on buying more and more maps... you won't believe how many maps I've "collected" during those years...

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I think this guy is either an old stubborn dude who refuses the technology, or a real cheap one who doesn't want to invest too much money in his business... I used maps when the GPS wasn't available... since the GPS is on the market, I gave up on buying more and more maps... you won't believe how many maps I've "collected" during those years...

I fully agree, but I have had issues with my Tom Tom telling me I was one place and my destination was somewhere else. It's done that several times to me so I am looking for some other type. That Tom Tom has come close to getting deposited along the road somewhere in the desert.
What I do now is before I leave I print everything out on the computer and take the directions with me.
When sitting in my yard at home the Tom Tom tells me I am a mile away on a dirt road somewhere. Only my X wife would give me those directions.:p

I'm going to get a Garmin and try that.

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
GPS is an invaulable tool to add into ones arsonal. Two weeks ago my GPS went out and i've been using mapquest on my lap-top and just writing the instructions down on a piece of paper and following them. Like if the directions say stay on I-55 for 60 miles, I just set the trip odometer to zero and kind of daze off until it gets close to the 60 miles and then I proceed to follow the next step of directions. From time to time I will break out the map to look at where I am going just to make sure I have not passed an exit or mile marker. I panic if I don't know exactly where i'm at and what my ETA is. I'm amazed I can still use a piece of paper for instructions in an effective manner. But if a company wants you to run without a GPS in your truck, they are going to have to give you step by step instructions on how to reach your destination.

I had a hot airport load to pick up in Nashville the other day. I needed GPS to get me there as fast as possible, I didn't have it. The owner of this one company gave me some quick addresses and said he needed to tend to other calls and that I was holding him up. How would I find the Nashville airport step by step without a GPS or a Netbook with internet access where I looked up the directions on mapquest. This was one of them rush loads where you practically have to run over pedestrians to get there on time and I had no directions to work with. I made it there on time but I had no ETA.

When you are using a GPS unit, it gives you an ETA of when you are going to reach your destination. This has been an invaluable feature to me. Sometimes thw GPS ETA alerts me to the fact that i'm already late for a pick-up before I even leave the parking lot, which means that I can immediately call my carrier and let them know i'm running behind schedule so they can add more time to the pick-up. The GPS ETA also tells me how much time I have to make fuel stops, bathroom stops, and how much time i have for a nap, traffic, etc. In my eyes a GPS unit should be a requirement for all drivers. In fact, some companies won't even sign you on unless you actually have a working GPS unit.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
If you want a GPS buy a GPS and take it with you when you move on.

There are still many die hards who do not see the need for GPS's.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

As all other truckers have done before GPS became available, Diane and I used paper maps to navigate. We now rely on GPS (and Google Maps) but can revert to paper maps when necesssary. We still carry a road atlas and it gets used a few times a month to do checks that can be more quickly or easily done with it than with GPS or Google maps.

Do I think your owner is a jerk? I have no idea since I don't know who he is or if I have met him before. I do think that if you are that quick to imply that someone is a jerk because he won't buy you a GPS unit that you should probably buy yourself, since you like them that much, you are not likely to be happy with the guy under any circumstances.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
If you want a GPS buy a GPS and take it with you when you move on.

There are still many die hards who do not see the need for GPS's.

That makes the most sense of all. But to the owner of that rig your driving, I wonder how many miles and how much money he's thrown away running extra miles being lost???
And again if your paying for the fuel, you should invest in GPS.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
While a GPS will do silly stuff everyonce in awhile, I rely on mine solely. I do have an atlas, but don't remember the last time I used it. I hear drivers on CB all the time condeming GPS, but I see most of them have one on their dash. I have quit worrying whether I am a "real trucker" in someone elses eyes. When I back this truck in my driveway at home, my neighbors think I am one. And that is all that matters. Ha!

I ditto what A-Team said about you and your owner.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
GPS is a must to me, but still check the route out with my paper map, and if in question, use google maps on my droid X.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
I fully agree, but I have had issues with my Tom Tom telling me I was one place and my destination was somewhere else.

I'm going to get a Garmin and try that.

I used to have a Tom Tom... not anymore! Garmin, so far, is the best!

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
A real expediter uses whatever technology he needs to get the job done efficiently, whether it's paper or electronic. I always kept a Rand McNally handy in the vehicle even after I started using a GPS. A lot of times you can take a good quick glance at the map and see your interstate routing plain as day without having to type it all in and then you just need the GPS for the turns to the place once you get off the highway. I always preferred using both.

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
i run with 3 gps's lol and a box full of maps most of the time i can find my way = paid miles but i still depend on good old ranmcnally maps

Monty

Expert Expediter
I have the Rand McNally GPS and DeLorme mapping on the laptop ..... while the GPS is great for enoute calculations, with the DeLorme I can simply click and say, "I want to go this other way", and it compensates, the GPS says, "Nah, I like this way better sucker, you have NO options!" :eek:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I read the original post and I am not sure he is implying that the owner should provide a GPS?
That aside, as a fleet owner, I don't look at that as a function I would perform. I would like to think we only hire professionals.:eek:
In that thinking, I don't care whether they use paper maps, GPS, or pigeons.
Whatever gets the job done.
Hardly something to have an argument over.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I have the Rand McNally GPS and DeLorme mapping on the laptop ..... while the GPS is great for enoute calculations, with the DeLorme I can simply click and say, "I want to go this other way", and it compensates, the GPS says, "Nah, I like this way better sucker, you have NO options!" :eek:

You can play one upmanship on the GPS ..... put in a via point :D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
1st Erie owns his Sprinter, what he said was "but what one of the owners I run for ", meaning one of the people that he hauls freight for that provides his loads....and he also wasn't saying anyone should provide a gps, since he owns hos own van...

Now, that owner would really be "put off" if he got in my truck...Rand McNally GPS on the windshield, Garmin GPS program in te laptop mount on a "ram stand" at eye level against the dash, a GPS in the QC....thats 3 of them..and each will take you a different way 50% of the time...

I also have a Big ole Rand McNally Atlas that I need to replace cause it s a mess I grab it so much...so yea, the technology that is available is to be used and I do daily, but i still look at the atlas to see if I can route myself better....

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

Like some of the others, I won't call him a jerk but expediter or not, a smart BUSINESSMAN should know that in order to succeed, you will use ANY AND ALL tools available to you.