R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I was on compuserve and bbs's before what we now call the internet. Compuserve is now AOL

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Shame on everyone posting here with their "android app" signature. Well I guess without the one we wouldn't have the other :p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I was on compuserve and bbs's before what we now call the internet. Compuserve is now AOL
Ah, the good old days. I was originally involved in Usenet when it was still on ARPANET. Jim Ellis and Tom Truscott were a couple of grad students at Duke who figured out a way to connect their computer at Duke to one at UNC using shell scripts written by Steve Bellovin in 1979. I moved in next door to Steve when he was working at AT&T Research Labs in New Jersey, and he introduced me to Jim and Tom and to the infant Usenet in 1980. In late 1981 I moved to Pittsburgh, where Jim was then working at Carnegie Mellon, where I got to continue my obsession with telecommunications and helping develop Usenet protocols using their computers and a UNIX terminal that I had at home.

In 1984 I got a Commodore 64 in order to be an alpha and beta tester for the PlayNET porting of what would become Quantumlink (A.K.A., Q-Link), but still continued with Usenet with my butt-kicking USR 300 baud modem and university terminal. I was a Q-Guide on Q-Link, and if you were on there and used GEOS, I was in the GEOS Technical Support group as one of the geoReps (I handled geoWrite, geoPublish, geoRAM, and printer drivers). I was then one of the five original beta testers for the Q-Link porting of what would become AOL, where I continued to work for AOL and Berkeley Softworks (GEOS) online.

By 1991 GEOS had faded into the shadow of Windows and AOL was driving me nuts, so I moved on and stuck primarily with Usenet and other online pursuits. Sadly, Jim Ellis died in 2001 at an early age, but I am still in contact with Steve Bellovin, who is a computer sciences professor at Columbia. I still think the Dr Emmett Brown character from Back to the Future was inspired by Steve Bellovin. You have no idea. :D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Ah, the good old days. I was originally involved in Usenet when it was still on ARPANET. Jim Ellis and Tom Truscott were a couple of grad students at Duke who figured out a way to connect their computer at Duke to one at UNC using shell scripts written by Steve Bellovin in 1979. I moved in next door to Steve when he was working at AT&T Research Labs in New Jersey, and he introduced me to Jim and Tom and to the infant Usenet in 1980. In late 1981 I moved to Pittsburgh, where Jim was then working at Carnegie Mellon, where I got to continue my obsession with telecommunications and helping develop Usenet protocols using their computers and a UNIX terminal that I had at home.

In 1984 I got a Commodore 64 in order to be an alpha and beta tester for the PlayNET porting of what would become Quantumlink (A.K.A., Q-Link), but still continued with Usenet with my butt-kicking USR 300 baud modem and university terminal. I was a Q-Guide on Q-Link, and if you were on there and used GEOS, I was in the GEOS Technical Support group as one of the geoReps (I handled geoWrite, geoPublish, geoRAM, and printer drivers). I was then one of the five original beta testers for the Q-Link porting of what would become AOL, where I continued to work for AOL and Berkeley Softworks (GEOS) online.

By 1991 GEOS had faded into the shadow of Windows and AOL was driving me nuts, so I moved on and stuck primarily with Usenet and other online pursuits. Sadly, Jim Ellis died in 2001 at an early age, but I am still in contact with Steve Bellovin, who is a computer sciences professor at Columbia. I still think the Dr Emmett Brown character from Back to the Future was inspired by Steve Bellovin. You have no idea. :D

****, my memory is failing me it was Q-link that I was on, not compuserve.:eek:

I was 14 at the time and remember you had to pay by the minute or hour so I was mowing lots of lawns to support my habit LOL

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
What struck me when I received my AP mobile alert that Steve had passed was how many of us learned of his death on a device that he was instrumental in creating?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
In ancient times those who were expert in the abacus and other mathematical tools, and who were employed by emperors and kings, were given the lofty title of "Computer".

My first was a C=64.

Did you have the color monitor and a 1541 disc drive?
I bought my C 64 at K-Mart on layaway LOL

Oh, I'm sorry Colour monitor for our Canadian speaking friends

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Well I think my point is that the world is not better without him but at the same time, he has impacted our lives as much as others have without the cult type of following that he created for his company and himself - not taking a thing away from it.

I don't know how else to say it.

I would venture to guess that because apple is so closed minded about some parts of their products, mainly the freedom of development and lack of competitiveness of their sales within their retailers, it is reasonable for one to think that they pushed others into doing what they started by those who gave more latitude for things that others wanted to do or see in products sometimes even breaking that envelope. Apple started a trend, picked up by Microsoft and now we see open source and google building on innovations by leaps and bounds but apple has been too conservative and closed to the point no other customers are running around anticipating the next version of something like it was a second coming and being disappointed because of a marketing ploy.

He was a genus for creating all of it.

This article may help you to understand
Why Do We Mourn Celebrities?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I was 14 at the time and remember you had to pay by the minute or hour so I was mowing lots of lawns to support my habit LOL
I know exactly what you mean. Even though my access was free for being a Qguide and for working for Berkeley, when I moved back to Murray from Nashville I lost my "local" dialup number, having to call long distance to connect. That severely cut into my online time, causing withdrawal symptoms. When I informed Berkeley Softworks about my dilemma and that I'd probably have to quit being a geoRep, they paid my LD phone bill to the tune of about $500 a month. That was kewl.

Did you have the color monitor and a 1541 disc drive?
Oh yeah. I had dual 1541s, then dual 1571s (the double-sided, double-density 340K monster gggrrrr that you didn't have to punch a hole in and manually flip to use both sides), then with the C=128 I had dual 5¼" 1581 drives. :)

The only thing I never had was the tape drive, the Datasette or something like that. I used carts for the few games I played, and to get online. The 1541 came out pretty quickly after I got mine, so I went with that.

IIRC, I bought my C=64 at K-Mart, as well.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I remember using a hole punch on the disk so that you could use the other side, I had the tape drive also, because I started with a Vic 20.
Remember Compute's Gazette? I wish I saved some of those. I have a few old computer magazines from the early 80's that are fun to flip through. Things sure have changed LOL

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You betcha. The Compute! Gazette, RUN, Ahoy, Commodore Power Play, Info, Commodore World, Die Hard, lots of them. I really liked it when they started including disks of all the programs in the magazine. Waaaay better than having to type in all those peeks and pokes. :D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
You betcha. The Compute! Gazette, RUN, Ahoy, Commodore Power Play, Info, Commodore World, Die Hard, lots of them. I really liked it when they started including disks of all the programs in the magazine. Waaaay better than having to type in all those peeks and pokes. :D

I remember typing in those programs and was not and still am not a good typist, the machine language was the worst:eek:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nothing like the joy of spending hours and hours typing in pages of numbers only to have the program crash because one number was typed in wrong. :D

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
All you guys using new tech are funny. I remember my cousin taking classes to learn computing with punch cards.Gracie even used a Sinclair for a while.

---
I am here: Google Maps

My first computer was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum. 64 kB of memory, running at 3.5 Mhz. No disk drive, just a regular tape recorder and tapes. Those were the days, but we had fun with them.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All you guys using new tech are funny. I remember my cousin taking classes to learn computing with punch cards.Gracie even used a Sinclair for a while.

---
I am here: Google Maps

Punch cards, then paper punch tapes then metal punch tapes. Before that, we loaded programs with buttons, no keyboard.

First computer I would on was 6 feet high, 30 feet long and 3 feet deep. It had to be keep at around 60 degrees or it crashed. ALL it did was store "stuff" from 20 operators AND put in a date and time hack at the end of every line I type. It was an AG22.

We even got a "special" addition to our MOS. NON AG 22 ops were 05H. Those of us WITH AG22 certifications were 05H20S3. Now, how exciting is that?

I am sorry to hear Mr. Jobs passed. He had a horrible disease. I don't think that I have ever used anything that he produced.

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
You may not have used his products directly. But his ideas are in alot of technology that you use.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App