R.I.P. Steve Jobs

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I got to ask you guys, why is he so important?

It is a sad day that another fellow human died, especially with his type of Cancer but you know he was a salesman and nothing more to many of us.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

It is a sad day that another fellow human died, especially with his type of Cancer but you know he was a salesman and nothing more to many of us.

He was important to the smart phone market and forced the technology to be more mainstream and of course did the same with their computers. I won't shed a tear over his passing and I personally didn't care for the iPhone but he had more influence and did more than a salesman.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

If you have to ask that question, and do so in earnest, then you'll never understand the answer. I was never a fan of Jobs. His ego and arrogance was unmatched. But he did change the world, and the way we live our lives within it, in fundamental ways. You can say if he didn't do it, then someone else would have, and you'd probably be right. But you can say the same thing about everyone in history who's ever made major contributions to the fundamental ways in which our lives have been changed. But the contribution is, in the end, still there. If he was just a salesman to you, then the only thing one can conclude from that is that you are utterly oblivious to the things around you. He was a true innovator who affected and effected technological innovations in more products and industries, including industries wholly unrelated to computers, than I care to count. He not only changed the way in which people work, he changed forever the way people think and interact with technology.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've never been a fan of Apple or iPhone [I refuse to get an iPhone just because it's all some places sell], but there are so many of them, and they're so dedicated, I figure there's something special there, even if it doesn't appeal to me.
And I truly respect creative intelligence - we need a lot more of it.
RIP, Steve Jobs.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Even if you are not an Apple fan, Steve Jobs changed the way all computers and smart phones operate. Microsoft Windows is a copy of the Apple O.S.
Does anyone remember computers before Windows? I do!!!
The iPod and iTunes revolutionized the way we listen to music. Sure there are MP3 players now.
He was truly a genius and will be missed in the technology world.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I got to ask you guys, why is he so important? ...... but you know he was a salesman and nothing more to many of us.
He was a salesman, innovator (338 patents), leader, visionary .... and a genius ...

Son of a Syrian Muslim immigrant, adopted and raised by others, he is, perhaps, one of the greatest examples of a successful, largely self-made American businessman - which is not to say, that no one else had a hand in Apple's success - as Job's would be the first to admit.

He was quite capable of inspiring others - and people of his vision and ability are fairly rare.

He was ousted from his own creation at one point, with John Sculley, the sugar-water pusher from Pepsi that led that coup, saying something along the lines of "Jobs wants to make Apple a consumer products company ..... and that's just nuts ..."

Steve clearly had the last laugh on that one ....

He started NeXT computers after leaving Apple, eventually selling it back to Apple when he returned, acquired Pixar and transitioned it from a hardware company into a highly successful animation studio, selling it to Disney and becoming Disney's largest shareholder.

Like many folks of great ability and vision he had a large ego and was temperamental .... which is a fairly small price to pay .... considering what he gave us.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I think my point is that the world is not better without him but at the same time, he has impacted our lives as much as others have without the cult type of following that he created for his company and himself - not taking a thing away from it.

I don't know how else to say it.

I would venture to guess that because apple is so closed minded about some parts of their products, mainly the freedom of development and lack of competitiveness of their sales within their retailers, it is reasonable for one to think that they pushed others into doing what they started by those who gave more latitude for things that others wanted to do or see in products sometimes even breaking that envelope. Apple started a trend, picked up by Microsoft and now we see open source and google building on innovations by leaps and bounds but apple has been too conservative and closed to the point no other customers are running around anticipating the next version of something like it was a second coming and being disappointed because of a marketing ploy.

He was a genus for creating all of it.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
R.I.P Steve. Thank you for your vision and determination to make a difference in business and in our culture.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Even if you are not an Apple fan, Steve Jobs changed the way all computers and smart phones operate. Microsoft Windows is a copy of the Apple O.S.
Does anyone remember computers before Windows? I do!!!

My first computer class [adult education] taught DOS commands, and my first computer used them [Windows 'Shell'] and I had a password for the internet [CSU's Freenet] lol. I've not stayed ahead, though - until high speed internet, it was just too s l o w for me.
:eek:
The iPod and iTunes revolutionized the way we listen to music. Sure there are MP3 players now.

And I love my mp3 player - it's not iTunes, and it's not music, it's audiobooks - but it is a wonderful thing to have.

He was truly a genius and will be missed in the technology world.

Amen.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I'd love an Apple macbook, but simply can't afford it...I do have an iPod though
I used to have an Apple IIc and an iMac and loved them
I also had a Commodore Vic20, 64, 128, and Amiga LOL

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd love an Apple macbook, but simply can't afford it...I do have an iPod though
I used to have an Apple IIc and an iMac and loved them
I also had a Commodore Vic20, 64, 128, and Amiga LOL

Do you still use your abacus ?

image.php

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In ancient times those who were expert in the abacus and other mathematical tools, and who were employed by emperors and kings, were given the lofty title of "Computer".

My first was a C=64.