Problem with van

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
jrcase wrote:

GM is sending the new transmission and it will be here in three days.

its good that they are doing what they can to make it right...but I guess they aren't "expediting" the trans in...I will be 3 miles from the plant in Toledo where the 6 spd is built later this afternoon...Load 1 can have that trans there in the AM....:D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for keeping us updated Jr.

I guess the new six speeds are not bullet proof after all.

If anyone else has first hand knowledge of the GM 6 speed transmission; shifting performance, drivability, mechanical problems, etc, please share.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think I said ...

Sounds like the modulator for the torque converter clutch is not working right.

Take it to the dealer, ask a mechanic to come for a ride with you and let them see it in action. I would consider a new trans being in your future.

Opps, there it is

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
At least it is under warranty. It fell under the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
New transmission was installed. Van still shudders under the same conditions. What a mess.......

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I think I said ...

Originally Posted by greg334
Sounds like the modulator for the torque converter clutch is not working right.

Take it to the dealer, ask a mechanic to come for a ride with you and let them see it in action. I would consider a new trans being in your future.

Opps, there it is

Oops, there it goes.:D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Now come on, greg didn't say that replacing the trans would fix the problem, only that,

"I would consider a new trans being in your future."

So yea he was right, jr got the new trans, didn't fix it, but greg didn't say it would....:D:rolleyes:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
jrcase wrote;

Probably. I am going to try that myself. I am tired of the technicians throwing parts at the van. Each time they have the van, I am not making money.

Why would you spend money you are not making!?!? They have an open claim and admit there is a problem...i'd be ****ed if id spend another dime of my own money trying to fix the problem they have admitted is there and are having a tough time fixing.....they'd be working on that van until it was fixed or until GM bought it back at a settlement that is to your liking...it can be done and is done all the time...

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
jrcase wrote;

Why would you spend money you are not making!?!? They have an open claim and admit there is a problem...i'd be ****ed if id spend another dime of my own money trying to fix the problem they have admitted is there and are having a tough time fixing.....they'd be working on that van until it was fixed or until GM bought it back at a settlement that is to your liking...it can be done and is done all the time...

Because if it is ignition issues, that is not under warranty. The van has 60K miles on it. The reason the transmission was under warranty was because of the 100K mile powertrain warranty. Plugs and wires are out of warranty after 36K miles.

Also, I bought the van second hand. I am not the original owner. Therefore I don't have any claim for a buy back.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
jrcase wrote:

Also, I bought the van second hand. I am not the original owner. Therefore I don't have any claim for a buy back.

Ahh ok...as for the ignition stuff, i wouldn't totally rule out them fixing it because of all they have already done...they are basically saying we are lost at this point...gm just may be open to them getting the problen fixed and moving on....id talk with the factory service rep asap, it is his call...if you replace the plug wires, and it fixes its, you'd have a legit compliant as to why they never found that in the 1st place.....

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Now come on, greg didn't say that replacing the trans would fix the problem, only that,

"I would consider a new trans being in your future."

So yea he was right, jr got the new trans, didn't fix it, but greg didn't say it would....:D:rolleyes:

Well that is true. I would be looking at the ignition coils/wires or the injectors since you just eliminated the transmission. Something isn't matching up with the computer, after coasting for awhile one of the parts is not realizing it should be back under load or it can't because of a mechanical issue. Have you been able to see in the mirror if any smoke comes out the exhaust when this happens?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Throttle Position Sensor.......about a $30 part at Auto Zone, Pep Boys....or any other fine automotive parts suppliers all across the country.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
To many part re-placers, not enough real mechanics anymore/ or real trouble shooters. Disassemble entire van, and reassemble, why not, u wasted this much time and look at the positive side,,,look at all the lost change u would find. :D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The advent of the computer systems slowly created the inability for mechanics to figure out these issues, the "techs' that they became just plug in a black box and do what it sayes...no more using their education in mechanics of how it works, because they for the most part don't know...the ecm and tbs and all the other little computers control everything....give me a carb abd a old points and condenser power system a real thottle cable or rod, a kickdown switch and accuator for the passing gear and even a old 3 or 4 spd auto trans (manual trans are a piece of cake (well they were) and I can fix it no problem...but then i am old too....:D

Hey SkyRaider, good chatten with you as you drove past me on I-40 the other night...I really did thnk it was you, just couldn't get the cb turned on and get to the mic before you got to me...:D

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
I had the same problem with my 04' chevy express. When I would just ease on the gas a little more it would shudder like I was driving over rumble strips. Had torque converter changed and the problem was fixed, that was a couple years ago. I think it may be possible you just got another bad torque converter. Might need to be replaced again.

Good Luck.

BTW. I would buy another chevy.