Problem with van

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
Any updates yet on the issue?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

GM is sending a regional engineer to take a look. New transmission doing the same thing. I am now guessing the TPS or plugs/wires/coils. I am frankly fed up and ready to trade.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
GM is sending a regional engineer to take a look. New transmission doing the same thing. I am now guessing the TPS or plugs/wires/coils. I am frankly fed up and ready to trade.

Hopefully he is knowledgeable and not GM's version of an H2O distribution engineer (waterboy) so you can get this figured out, especially since things like this can cause issues with other parts.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I'm almost betting it's your Throttle Position Sensor/Unit or possibly the Air Intake Valve.

Let's hope that's all it is.....................

We all just love technology and it cost us dearly. Oh the days of points, plugs, rotor buttons, and carbs and u could see ur engine to boot and get to ur spark plugs, oh mercy I digress.:)

Whoops,,,I thought the throttle positioning sensor was ur foot.

Last edited:

Camper

Not a Member
We all just love technology and it cost us dearly. Oh the days of points, plugs, rotor buttons, and carbs and u could see ur engine to boot and get to ur spark plugs, oh mercy I digress.:)

There's nothing more nostalgic than a manual choke :D

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Should we also go back to hand crank starting? :eek:

handcrank.jpg

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Interesting, you only break your arm if you do it wrong.

By the way, the photo is from a Model A repair manual and the guy is not starting the engine.

As for having points, condenser, rotors (which many cars still have) and a carb, sometimes troubleshooting those older vehicles are a PIA.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
There's nothing more nostalgic than a manual choke :D

I forgot that. My Dads old 52 dodge truck had one, on cold mornings, pull it out, press the starter and she fired right up and we drove off, no sputtering , ran great, flat head
six. It never gave trouble that old dodge,kept it
20 years.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Hopefully he is knowledgeable and not GM's version of an H2O distribution engineer (waterboy) so you can get this figured out, especially since things like this can cause issues with other parts.

What ever happened with GM engineer trying to solve the mystery noise and so forth?

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
It seems he comes to this dealership once or twice a year and I was on a load run when he came and I missed him. They have me a whole days notice. I was upset to say the least. Now I have spoken to a higher management person and am waiting on the next step. In the meantime, I am trying the easy stuff.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
It seems he comes to this dealership once or twice a year and I was on a load run when he came and I missed him. They have me a whole days notice. I was upset to say the least. Now I have spoken to a higher management person and am waiting on the next step. In the meantime, I am trying the easy stuff.

at least ur still running,,thats a good thing

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
Any update???

TPS sensor make a difference??

Just wondering........

The dealership hooked up the Tech II Scanner again. This time to monitor the engine instead o the transmission. I drove the van and had it take a snapshot of the engine as it malfunctioned. I returned to the dealer and the service manager looked at it and said he didn't see anything obvious. He is going to email those results to GM and take their direction.

I didn't swap the TPS yet as they may do it for me if that shows up on the scan as an issue. I don't think this latest visit will be productive, however. I have lost all faith in Government Motors. They have lost a lifetime loyal customer with me. Never again will I buy another GM of any kind.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
The dealership hooked up the Tech II Scanner again. This time to monitor the engine instead o the transmission. I drove the van and had it take a snapshot of the engine as it malfunctioned. I returned to the dealer and the service manager looked at it and said he didn't see anything obvious. He is going to email those results to GM and take their direction.

I didn't swap the TPS yet as they may do it for me if that shows up on the scan as an issue. I don't think this latest visit will be productive, however. I have lost all faith in Government Motors. They have lost a lifetime loyal customer with me. Never again will I buy another GM of any kind.

what ever happened to Mr. Goodwrench?

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
Does TN have a lemon law or did you buy it used??

I bought it used.

They called me today and said the regional tech is coming on Thursday. I have an appointment.

The dealership is making noise about this being normal. Unbelievable. The whole van shuddering is normal?? Idiots. This after the service manager said after feeling the shudder..."Wow, that is weird!".

I am keeping a log of the day to day comments and happenings. I am also going to compose a very detailed letter and mail it to as many upper management people I can get contact information on.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I bought it used.

They called me today and said the regional tech is coming on Thursday. I have an appointment.

The dealership is making noise about this being normal. Unbelievable. The whole van shuddering is normal?? Idiots. This after the service manager said after feeling the shudder..."Wow, that is weird!".

I am keeping a log of the day to day comments and happenings. I am also going to compose a very detailed letter and mail it to as many upper management people I can get contact information on.

Buy foreign made vans and cars, u wont have any problem, we will never learn IMHO