Power napping

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Any suggestions on how to go about getting fine of those so called power naps while waiting to get loaded? I'm naturally a high energy person but I really need to learn how to implement a nap into my schedule, I've heard many drivers mention taking a nap while they wait at a dock or while waiting to get unloaded, either way is there some secret I've yet to be told?

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I close my curtain and lay on my side facing the back wall. If I lay facing the curtain I can't go to sleep.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I've tried that, I think its a mind thing, I can't seem to stop thinking about the freight or the dock workers or what happens if traffic is jacked up when I get moving or it could be this dam phone always in my hand!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I have trouble napping sometimes too. It's the whole "turning off the brain" part. I use earplugs. Make it dark. And get horizontal on my bunk and make myself breathe slowly. It usually works if I KNOW that my freight will not be ready for at least an hour.

- Skipper of the Irish Rover.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I learned to nap in basic training. I often nap while waiting on freight. One trick is not to plan to sleep. I just lay down and wait. I often just drift off.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
A little 20 to 30 min power nap does me a world of good, just have to focus your mind on something that calms you.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A blindfold may help. It is easier to slip one on than to go to the trouble of darkening the cab or sleeper. Get a good one, one that is comfortable to wear.

If my brain is racing and keeping me from going to sleep at night, I read. It only takes a few minutes to quiet things down and drift off.

Last edited:

Monty

Expert Expediter
You need to practice .... I used to get good naps for miles going down the highway! ;)

Seriously, it is a learned process. If I decide for a nap, the moment my head hits the pillow I am asleep, same for going to bed at night. My wife is amazed at how quickly I can be asleep. But as mentioned above, if you "plan" on napping, it won't happen. Just let it wash over you ....

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
You need to practice .... I used to get good naps for miles going down the highway! ;)

Seriously, it is a learned process. If I decide for a nap, the moment my head hits the pillow I am asleep, same for going to bed at night. My wife is amazed at how quickly I can be asleep. But as mentioned above, if you "plan" on napping, it won't happen. Just let it wash over you ....

Same here, out like a light....I credit it to a clear conscience :cool::D

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I usually put it on cruise and climb in the back...

If unloaded and parked and thinking I should nap before that next long run, I often get a gentle breeze going in the back of the van, lay down, and play solitaire on my tablet. Usually makes me drift right off.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The trick is not to force yourself to take a nap or believe you need one, just lay down. If you fall asleep, great. If not, at least you got some rest weren't sitting in the driver's seat. When I'm done for the day, before going to bed I play a game or two of Scrabble on my computer. Great way to unwind.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Layed down the other day for my 30min break, next thing I know its 50 min. later.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Great tips everyone, I like the blindfold idea and the tips on keeping the mind from racing! We just recently went to full team two months ago and I'm still adjusting my sleep habits from a solo, I was able to squeeze out approx 45 min nap while waiting for this load!

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
All good points were said from everyone and I agree with them. One thing I would say is to say away from energy drinks and things that have caffeine in them. Ive pretty much have cut cokes and tea out all together. Ive never done those energy drinks, very bad for you.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
All good points were said from everyone and I agree with them. One thing I would say is to say away from energy drinks and things that have caffeine in them. Ive pretty much have cut cokes and tea out all together. Ive never done those energy drinks, very bad for you.

I will admit I'm a bit of a caffeine addict, and I could not tell you the last time I went a day with out tea or pop all together, before I came on the road full time I drank a substantial amount of milk and juice, I think I might try and keep the pop intake down!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think Moot pegged it: if you don't feel able to sleep when the opportunity arises, then you probably don't need the sleep. A break from the driver's seat is a good thing, though, esp if you stretch out & close your eyes. Or close your eyes and do some stretches - making sure your codriver is safely out of your way, lol.