Political Correctness gone to far

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
The makers of Seaseme Street have gone to far in the name of political correctness. I heard on the radio today that they are going to phase out the Cookie Monster and replace him with the "Veggie Monster". This is so stupid. I understand wanting kids to eat healthier, but I don't think firing the cookie monster is going to do the trick. When I was a kid I liked cookies before I knew about the cookie monster. I also don't think I would have liked veegies anymore as a kid if there was a "Veggie Monster".

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
From my viewpoint, if I were still a kid (chronologically speaking!), a Cookie Monster would be a good guy, but a veggie monster?? Run away, run away!!!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Popeye got MANY kids to eat that soggy, canned, crappy spinach. I only like the leafy stuff, myself. So a little coercion of the inconspicuous type (ie Santa) is ok, IMO. But replacing the Cookie Monster with the Veggie Monster would just cause me not to allow my kids to watch it. Too many things have changed on that show already; and few for the better.

I hear they're starting Electric Company again. Anyone else remember that show? M op... Mop :)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
We need Howdy Doody, Princess Summerfallwinterspring and Phineas T. Bluster

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Great guy that Capt. Kangaroo. Read about him, he served our country.

I knew about him, met him a few times when he was here in Detroit. He knew the local CBS station manager who went to school with a relative and many of us kids went over there to see him and Mr. Brannumm.

He did indeed became a member of the armed forces, but he did not serve in combat nor did he deploy outside of the US. He was a marine reservists. The rumor was that he served with Lee Marvin, who was in the 4th marine division and served with a friend who passed last year.

I am wondering about the rerun part.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i would be happy with a collection of fraggle rock seasons. loved it!! so did my at the time 4 yo son. if its out there he will find it.

ratwell71

Veteran Expediter
I knew about him, met him a few times when he was here in Detroit. He knew the local CBS station manager who went to school with a relative and many of us kids went over there to see him and Mr. Brannumm.

He did indeed became a member of the armed forces, but he did not serve in combat nor did he deploy outside of the US. He was a marine reservists. The rumor was that he served with Lee Marvin, who was in the 4th marine division and served with a friend who passed last year.

I am wondering about the rerun part.

The fact remains. He served our country.

Reruns. You know a re-run of an original run. A rerun can never be the original "run". That one.

Captain Kangaroo ran in reruns on PBS television stations from 1986-1993, with funding from PBS stations and from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. American Public Television, then known as the "Interregional Program Service", distributed the show, along with Britder Associates (Bob Keeshan's production company), and the Riehl Company, owned by former WPBT-TV station manager Dale Riehl.

My daughter who is now 22 use to watch it so I guess I had no choice but to watch those reruns with her. That is what you do when you are a good parent. Gotta love it.

Anymore cheesy questions?

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bunny Rabbit ate the carrots that Mr. Green Jeans (Genes) planted. Fertilizer courtesy of Mr. Moose. How politically and environmentally correct is that. Hey, the good Captain also peddled Schwinn bicycles. The guy was way ahead of his time.

Now how about that misguided, voyeuristic :censoredsign: that ran Romper Room. Why was she always looking at us with that looking glass? She didn't know a planet from a star. "Bend and stretch, reach for the stars. There goes Jupiter. There goes Mars."

ratwell71

Veteran Expediter
Yep and so did Lee Harvey Oswald.

What was cheesy about the question?

And so was Timothy McVeigh, and the DC sniper, and the list can go on. The difference is this we are not speaking of the few radicals that served. We are speaking of Capt. Kangaroo. Do some real research on him if you want to set up a debate. And please make it a debate worth wasting one's time on.

Cheesy. Was there reruns? O.K. I think we can find other issues worth debating.

What is it that you are looking for? A whipping boy.

Next.

ratwell71

Veteran Expediter
Bunny Rabbit ate the carrots that Mr. Green Jeans (Genes) planted. Fertilizer courtesy of Mr. Moose. How politically and environmentally correct is that. Hey, the good Captain also peddled Schwinn bicycles. The guy was way ahead of his time.

Now how about that misguided, voyeuristic :censoredsign: that ran Romper Room. Why was she always looking at us with that looking glass? She didn't know a planet from a star. "Bend and stretch, reach for the stars. There goes Jupiter. There goes Mars."

Now that is a different perspective.