Plagiarism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
No matter what the subject, atrocious spelling & grammar is rude, IMO, and presenting the words of another as your own is dishonest. Common courtesy and truthfulness are not too much to expect, I hope. (And neither bears any relationship to intelligence)

You really can't believe that people purposely use bad grammar and misspell words just to be rude,can you?

JMO,I think they do do it just to pizz you off.DD.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Only the Col does it on purpose :p but I was referring to the ones who misspell things like 'Pilot' when they could just look out the window to get the correct spelling.....We ALL make the occasional typo, but some are just too lazy or self centered to make the slightest effort, and THAT'S rude. IMO.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
And I suppose that life situations that might have affected the amount of schooling that they were able to get wouldn't have anything to do with it.DD.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What does "schooling" have to do with it? Like I said, one can look out the window to get the correct spelling of Pilot, and there are spellcheckers nowadays, for those who bother to use them.
My own 'life circumstances' caused me to be a high school dropout, and wait 20 years before getting a GED - is that obvious, in my writing? You are making assumptions, DD, and some of them are erroneous....

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
First off Cheri,I never assume anything.And secondly I think schooling has quite a bit to do with it.(where did you learn how to spell?).

I cant believe that you would expect certain members to look out their windows at truck stops and gather the words they would need to reply to a post here on EO,how ridiculous would that be?

I just think if someones style of posting bothers you that badly then you need to either get over it or move onto a different post it's as simple as that. DD.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You really can't believe that people purposely use bad grammar and misspell words just to be rude,can you?

They may not do it just to be rude, but that's the result, nonetheless. Rude behavior doesn't necessarily have to be done on purpose, it only has to be done without regard for others.

Ever pass someone on the Interstate only to have them utterly destroy your night vision by flooding your rear view mirrors with high beam lights to let you know you've missed 'em and it's OK to come back over? Same thing. Very few people do that just to be rude. Some do it out of laziness. Most do so out of ignorance. And it's rude and inconsiderate, regardless.

Proper grammar and perfect spelling isn't likely to happen on an informal forum such as this. It's not necessary, as long as your post is comprehensible. Paragraphs, semi-properly constructed sentences, things like periods at the end of a sentence would be nice, maybe a capital letter at the beginning of a sentence, even an improperly placed breath comma would be nice in some cases.

If your post in unreadable and incomprehensible, not only is subjecting readers to it and expecting a coherent reply rude and inconsiderate, it's self-defeating. If no one can understand you, no one is gonna take you seriously.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, Turtle, for saying it better than I did (as usual):p and Iceroadtrucker?ALF, for the laugh. :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And I thought we were just dumb truck drivers???? And now I gots to be smart and proof read my statements and check my grammar...all I wanted was to post a remark, have fun and pass on some experienced advice....and you consider this rude??
Cheri..alittle heavy handed just abit????:)

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
What Turtle and Cheri said.

I don't think that anyone here expects perfect spelling, punctuation, or grammar - I will often mis-spell something on purpose in posts just for the effect that it might create or show my attitude or view on a matter ....add some "color" I guess.

I do not think that it is an unreasonable expectation to have a post be at least semi-comprehensible - I really want to understand what someone is saying - it's my guess that others do as well - otherwise they likely wouldn't be here.

Again, as Cheri points out, I dropped out of highschool twice (completed thru a GED), and college once. While I love education and study, the system that is formal "schooling" by and large just wasn't for me (since in my estimation it was more about social control than education.)

Hopefully none of that is reflected in how I express myself. One doesn't need to go to school to become educated - there is such a thing as study, which is largely an INDIVIDUAL activity.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't think so - have I ever criticized your spelling or grammar? Nope, I've only mentioned the issue when a post was practically unintelligible, and those are few and far between. As Turtle explained, not making the slightest effort is disrespectful to us all.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I do think that it is an unreasonable expectation to have a post be at least semi-comprehensible
Good example.
36_2_33.gif

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Heheheh .... touché ..... !!!

I got caught up in trying to make sure there was no double negative and over compensated. :eek:

Fixed now ....

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Okay - I think everyone has made their point on this matter.

Let's move onto other issues.

Consider this a "soft" lock.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Bingo! Laziness that makes something easier for you, but harder for those who follow, is disrespectful, no?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
JMO I don't know if I'd go with disrespectful but no effort at all I'd go for lazy???:)

Being purposely disrespectful, or merely lazy, the result is the same - disrespect towards others.

And I thought we were just dumb truck drivers????
If that's what you think you are, then that's all you'll ever be. I, however, have a vastly different opinion of you. I don't recall ever reading (or rather trying to read) a post from you that was unreadable.

And now I gots to be smart and proof read my statements and check my grammar...
Don't have to, but it might be prudent to do so. Here's why:
all I wanted was to post a remark, have fun and pass on some experienced advice....

Posting the remark and fun is one thing, don't need to worry about spelling or grammar for that. But, if you want to actually pass on that experienced advice, it only makes sense to pass it along in a manner that others can read and understand. If the advice is incomprehensible, unreadable, the experience, nor the advice, matters.

and you consider this rude??
To an extent, yes. But, mainly, I consider an unintelligible post a waste of time, both for the reader and the poster.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I dunno, or, care about them plagertooters, but, if it's worth reading, it's worth reading. If not it isn't. A real issue you may want to ponder is..... if you can read the forum, thank a teacher, beings you are reading it in English, thank a GI Trooper-new or old.

Status
Not open for further replies.