Perfect expediters please help

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry we are not all retired college professors we are truck drivers for gods sake not brain surgeons! oh wait I know a neural surgeon that cant spell even with spell check. That’s ok heard some one once say those who cant do teach, Guess now they drive truck!

Alvin
A little bored in upstate NY

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nobody is expecting English professors. The point of this is there are a few users who have recently posted insulting replies to a particular thread that do nothing except belittle a user for poor spelling and grammar. Nobody has said you should spell well. You just shouldn't insult those who can't spell. That is a generic you, not aimed at someone specific but at everyone including me.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Come on... when did everyone in this industry start wearing tutus? Such thin skins anymore when you think you're being "insulted". I know ppl like Broom and Greg who have had extensive business experience, and have had to write a report or two. But you couldn't tell it on here ;) So what?

Minor spelling shouldn't be the issue here. Most are guilty of that. The problem I have is having to read something three times before the lightbulb comes on. Run-on sentences and everything crammed into one paragraph are my peeves. I usually have to skip those posts, unless it's George, who I like to read anyways :7

People who are anal about grammar are a common thing in forums. But sometimes I wonder who's more anal... those who criticize, or those who criticize the criticizers...

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

G

Thank you Leo for the post. I will be the 1st to say that I sink and spelling and english. There is no perfect person in this world. We all fall short of the Glory of God.

Drive Safe
David Mayfield

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Why does it always come back to spelling? This post has been beat into the ground over and over many times in the past its just a different name. WHO CARES, if your not intrested or cannot understand someone letting off steam than your the problem not the solution.

And Truguard, if you do not care for my spelling ( you did not attack me personally, but I have been accused more than once for imperfect gramour on here ). Than dont read what I post or others who do not spell perfectly.

If this was a professional report than I would have it proof read. What ticked me off about your comment is you GENERALIZED that if I cannot spell I probably could'nt secure freight. Keep your comments like that to yourself as your gona peeve some very professional drivers off. That was in very poor taste in generalizing. I suppose almost all ladies could not back into a dock either? That would be a poor refrence about a group of people.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I was never an English major, but I was a proofreader once, & I could spend a lot of time correcting mistakes in spelling & grammar here- but it would serve no useful purpose. It would be hypocritical, because I make mistakes too. The intent of the writer counts for a lot more than the correct form, IMHO. If the errors drive you nuts, hire Moot's proofreader! :p

G

Why Do you fill the need to try to call someone out about there spelling or Grammer. DO YOU THINK THAT MAKES YOU LOOK BETTER. This is a place for folks to come and share things with each other. I hate people that think there better than someone else.

Just Remember: The toes you step on today may be attached to that A$$ your kissing tomorrow.

Drive Safe
David Mayfield

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i am dyslexic, and there are 7 different types of it
it is a learning difficulties, and i have the kind i leave out words and when i look back at it it say's what i though i wrote and sometime else looking at is wondering what i am writing about
and found out about it after doing 21 year's 27 day's and 3 min's in us navy

so that's my story and sticking to it

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
>i am dyslexic, and there are 7 different types of it
>it is a learning difficulties, and i have the kind i leave
>out words and when i look back at it it say's what i though
>i wrote and sometime else looking at is wondering what i am
>writing about
>and found out about it after doing 21 year's 27 day's and 3
>min's in us navy
>
>so that's my story and sticking to it

Geo: forgive me, but I think you have the other six kinds of dyslexia, too, lol.
1 The kind that forgets to capitalize proper nouns
2 The kind that puts a plural word like "difficulties" with "it is"
3 The kind that leaves out punctuation, or puts it in the wrong place
4 The kind that misspells , ie: though instead of thought
5 The kind that forgets to capitalize the first word of a sentence
6 The kind that readers who are familiar with your style will get past, because your heart is in the right place - which is much more important than the other stuff, any day! :)

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
Well, first of all, there is no perfect expediter out there or here on this website.
Even though, as the post may indicate, there are a few who at least think they are.
I have not been at this very long at all and I have learned a few things out here. I have picked up pointers and tips from the veterans in the field and I have learned from a fewm from the newbies.
So just because you post alot of the messages in these forums does not make you an expert and just because you are a newbie does not mean you do not have something of quality to offer to the vet.
Either way a few misspelled words or bad grammer should not have us insulting someone's character.
Now before you vets that post alot here bit me a new rear - trust me when I say, your input here has been helpful to me. All I am saying is that your comments here do not make you an expert it is the actual time and miles you have placed on the road that gives you that classification - so just transfer that back into the forums instead of trying to 'show off' your posting abilty - show off and boast about your road experience!

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I'll tell you what is wrong with improper smelling. It stinks. Folks should be more concerned about their personal hygiene. Who wants to sit next to someone that smells like chicken noodle soup.

And those teeth! We have to speak to people in this profession and that three day old celery breath is not making it.

Please don’t take off your shoes. Those Nike’s could walk home by themselves.

And another thing…

â€David†“Davidâ€

“Yesâ€

“The post is about spelling, not smelling.â€

“Are you sure?â€

“Yes, spelling.â€

“Oh, well thn, never mind.â€

trhoades

Expert Expediter
>I don’t recall my DI pulling me aside and quietly
>whispering in my ear that I was marching wrong, saluting
>wrong or not holding my firearm correctly. I think the
>corrections were done in public so others would learn from
>my mistakes. (I marched with my head bent over like I had a
>crick in my neck……boy those were some long days and
>nights getting it right) Getting called out in public made
>me try even harder to do it correct and seeing someone else
>getting called out made me try harder to not make that
>mistake.

It's funny that you would bring up your time in the service. If I had a dime for everytime I heard the phrase "Praise in public, persecute in private" during my time in the Marines, I would be a rich man.

By ridiculing someone on this board, you are making it less likely that they will want to post or even afraid to ask a question that they may need an answer for. I think that defeats the purpose of this site. I would think that this site was intended to be an "informal" source of information. Not a job interview. I thought we were all supposed to be friends in here. I don't know about any of you, but I don't check my speech for proper grammer when having a conversation with my friends.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I do agree on the folks not bathing. If you can't find a few bucks to take a shower, go home. You aren't making enough to be out driving. And for the people that have never heard of a tooth brush, same thing. A tube of toothpaste and a tooth brush will set you back roughly two dallars if purchased at the dollar store. The water out of any sink should be free. There is no excuse for not brushing your teeth. Same deal, if you can't afford it, or are too lazy, go home.
If you can't accomplish something that simple, how in the world are going to take care of a truck?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

G

That is funny I messed up on this post. Yes I sink at spelling. That was to Funny. I see some caught my mess up. LOL ROTF

Drive Safe
David Mayfield
O/O since 1/27/95