Perfect expediters please help

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This will not only insult the person with less than perfect grammar and spelling but will also maintain a constant reminder for us of how immature, I mean perfect, you are. Thank you for your continued valuable input.

If the person being responded to has posted information that is dangerous or in any way would cause another person to fail in their pursuit of expediting then an appropriate contradictory response should be made. Insulting and belittling shouldn't be needed in any case. Keep it professional. The one who looks bad in the denigrating posts isn't the one who posted, it's the one responding.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

panther_art

Expert Expediter
I remember about 4 years ago I had some friends that heard about an expedite company called Pantherii. So they went out and got 2 cargo vans and signed them on with panther and had some friends that they put in them as drivers, but got no where because they know nothing about expediting. And I had always wanted a job that I could drive all over the U.S so I got on the internet and researched about what this expediting was all about, and I found this web site and came to this forum and read everything that was on here so when I started I know a little more then my friends did. And then I was able to help them get a better start then what they where doing.

There was not all this I am the greastest driver on the road, every post had something that helped newbies get started. Maybe before any of the companies sign someone up they should tell them to come here and find out how others have made it.

Panther Art

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if i knew what i know now i would have never gone into this
i would have gone and work gs or a wg job with the dept of navy
a couple months ago a person ask me if i want to go back into navy and i said no they were looking for people under age of 60 togo in for 2 year's work on shore duty here in area
amazing how things go sometimes

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Rumor has it there is speculation as to who might be the perfect expediter referenced here. It's probably not who you think it is unless you are looking in a mirror while contemplating. There are a few perfect expediters running around and recently posting. If there is still doubt or question then reread the criteria in the original post.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

targuard86

Expert Expediter
I’ve made a few references to spelling and grammar and make no apologies for it. I’m proud of this niche within the trucking industry and fell most of the people who are in this field are professional, but then you have the others who make the entire group look bad. I feel that the person who won’t take the time to make an attempt to check the spelling and grammar in a post is the same person who won’t take the time to strap down a piece of freight or won’t take the time to make sure the paperwork is correct before showing up at the border.

With that in mind….if it means I embarrass a few people by calling them out on their spelling and grammar to protect the integrity of this profession I’ll do it in a heart beat!

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Oddly enough I agree with everyone here. Leo you are right and what you said should have been said long ago. And, yes Tod and I found this sight when we were contimplating getting into this business and found it extremely helpful. And, yes some of the posters do have bad grammar BUT that's why EO has extended the ability to all members to send a private message to another member. We are here to help one another not publicly humiliate them.

Have a Nice Day Everyone!:)

Ops, was I not supposed to capitalize those words?

Oh no, did I mispell capitalize or did I misspell mispell?

Look at me, I'm just a road gypsy trying to have a nice conversation:+

bigguy1001

Expert Expediter
You should know that as soon as you decide to make some comment about everyone elses spelling you will mispell a word in it. "fell" vs "feel". I couldn't help myself.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You are certainly entitled to your opinion however there are some who participate here for whom English isn't their birth language. There are some who earlier in life allowed themselves to be taken in by the notion it isn't important if you can spell or have correct grammar as long as you get your point across in an understandable fashion. Many of our schools are teaching that at this very time. I don't agree with that thesis and I believe everyone should work as hard as required to become good spellers with good grammar.

That still doesn't mean it's right to post a response to someone that only insults and belittles them. Protestations aside, that isn't protecting the integrity of the site or profession, it's just publicly belittling someone. Truly caring about the profession and forum would suggest a helpful private message rather than a denigrating public message. My .02 which I'm sure will be disagreed with by some if not many.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo,

I agree with you 100%, nothing short of it. But this is something I think has been said before.

I got to say that no one should say a word about grammer or spelling or a lot of other things but it happens - You know that. But what I am bothered by is why is there more attacks lately on EO (outside of TallCal and Me going at one another) and how EO can handle the issue.

I know that a few of us who struggle with the english written word and some of us take the time to make sure that there are few mistakes but not everyone and it should not matter anyway if anyone doesn't. Being one of those who try to go through and make sure my words are understood as a routine, I find very few english majors on these sites and most who critisize are hidding some other problem and are not english majors.

The problem I have is understanding what a few say, not that I am critisizing - it is my problem not who ever is posting the comment because I am impatient not readng it until I understand it.

targuard86

Expert Expediter
I’m actually flattered that I would get at least an honorable mention in the “perfect expeditor†category. While I have never claimed to be perfect I do strive to be; and part of that is taking the time to type my responses in Word and having my grammar and spelling checked. As we all know, Word is not perfect but it will make the posting at least readable.

I just wonder if the correct thing to do was to simply remove my posting that struck a nerve with LDB instead of using it to belittle me as he said I did to another. Do two wrongs make a right?

I don’t recall my DI pulling me aside and quietly whispering in my ear that I was marching wrong, saluting wrong or not holding my firearm correctly. I think the corrections were done in public so others would learn from my mistakes. (I marched with my head bent over like I had a crick in my neck……boy those were some long days and nights getting it right) Getting called out in public made me try even harder to do it correct and seeing someone else getting called out made me try harder to not make that mistake.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
>While I have never claimed to be perfect I do strive to be;
>and part of that is taking the time to type my responses in
>Word and having my grammar and spelling checked. As we all
>know, Word is not perfect but it will make the posting at
>least readable.

This happened because the word in question "fell" was correctly spelled, but was improperly used.

Often the only way catch this type of error is for a human to proof read the text in question. We should not be relying on technology to make our prose readable

In any case, I'm an ordinary average imperfect human being and proud of it. :)

EagerBeaver

Expert Expediter
I made one of those proof reading remarks but it was directed to a possible ficticious character found here holding some trophy of his.
Besides I miss keys all the time. every post, I need to correct something in it, well this one is going smoothley <oops> so far, no white out yet. Drats, see thats my point its not because I dont know better and cant spell, I just prefer to review my words so as not to look like some kind of dropout. No one was knocking the person who said fleet owners shouldnt just hire some one with a cdl and a pulse. I think they even wanted to control their common sense hygiene and clothing, I guess they saw a few slobs and chose that its alright if your lazy, just look good doing it. Good model I suppose, whatever works. Oh, I am not yet perfect, but I hope that soon with your mentoring, maybe...., just maybe I might achieve that goal. Till then I'll just be me.
Have a great night!

EagerBeaver

Expert Expediter
Along with that remark about the fleet owners trying to bring on more professional drivers to better improve a carriers image, ponder this, what good reason is there not to proof read. I mean most of you around here say you have to be professional, why skip where its just as important. Unless you cant help it, I wouldnt rip on someone that cant spell just to make him feel bad. If its because youre a foreigner trying to assimilate into this society at least try to learn the language. Did I spell that right? not sure. I know the meaning, but I havent used it alot in text so forgive me, Im not perfect, I just try to straighten out misplaced words before I send 'em out to you all. And ask that maybe others do the same. If not so what I dont care. How did all this start again. oh yeah I said Proof reading, not just for students anymore. Some people read way to deep into stuff so they can justify being grouchy.

EagerBeaver

Expert Expediter
If I wasnt an honarable mention in your mind when you sent out this post then I withdrawl all statements I made in response to it.

Hope everyone is having fun tonight

EagerBeaver

Expert Expediter
Some one jump on my spelling of honarable quick! it doesnt look right to me, wish I had word to spell check for me so i dont get belittled. whish see did it again dont worry I'll go correct that one so it goes unnoticed.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You know this was a serious post. Over the last 4-5 months EO has had many new posters just blasting away at someone they don't like or a company that isn't giving them $6k a week for 2K miles. You don't have to post, put your personal attacks on other websites,Lots of them around. Our little niche in the transportaion industry should be above the gutter crap that exists elsewhere.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I must confess I am guilty of your charges. I promise you now that I will no longer make critical comments of someone else's spelling.