Part 3 of our Trucking SagaPart 1 USXpress where Bob got out from under the truck, a

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Part 1
USXpress where Bob got out from under the truck, as a diesel mechanic, and behind the wheel. USX taught both of us a lot about being away from home for extended periods, using truck stop showers, and a lot about trucking etiquette.

Part 2
Started researching Expediting and decided to become owner operators leased to FedEx Custom Critical. We have enjoyed an amazing ten years with a great carrier and many helpful employees. We learned about expediting and being successful owner operators while having the time to see many attractions in the United States. These years have created many fantastic memories and at the same time allowed us to purchase three trucks, an antique Corvette and a new home on a beautiful 10 acres.

Part 3
It is now time to start another chapter in our lives. We have decided to expand our opportunities and try out a different business model than the typical expedite experience. Bob and I have chosen to move to Landstar where we plan to create at least another ten years of fantastic memories. We realize that many of our Friends, acquaintances and the readers of our blogs and articles will be enquiring about our decision and any reasons behind our carrier change. Suffice it to say, Bob and I have led a rather adventurous life and this decision is simply a desire to try a different experience. It’s as simple as that.

boonsdad

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Re: Part 3 of our Trucking SagaPart 1 USXpress where Bob got out from under the truc

We too are looking for a move soon if things keep going as they are.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Re: Part 3 of our Trucking SagaPart 1 USXpress where Bob got out from under the truc

Bob and Linda

I know your new paths will be a little scary at first, but I'm sure you will do fine. You will now be working both side as owners/sales. You will have to sale yourself with the agents in the Landstar system and also learn the different freight agents that can give you freight outside the Landstar system.

GandJ

Active Expediter

Very happy for you both. Exciting times ahead I'm sure.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

TeamCaffee will not just survive, but will thrive on the change. You have so much to offer any carrier, [not the least of which is superb tact, lol]. ;)

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

Congratulations you two. Won't say good luck cause it's not needed. We know all will be fine. Make a choice and do it. That's just the way it is in this business if you want to stay in this business. We had a choice to make a year ago. It wasn't a carrier change choice, thank god, but a business choice to become fleet owners. Now another one next year to expand some more. The point is, if you don't want your business to become stagnant and your opportunities have gone you have to make choices and make them work. You two will be fine. Carry on !!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter

With your communications skills, you will do fine at Landstar. Just note that the audience that matters is the agents. While truck show and magazine appearances provide a certain storytelling value, at bottom, agents don't care about that and neither do the customers you serve. Agents care most that you make them look good when you roll on one of their loads and there are hundreds of trucks in the Landstar Express America system that do exactly that.

You will no doubt hear from many people who ask you what it is like at Landstar. This "How to Market Yourself at Landstar" piece was well received when I shared it a while back. It may be helpful to you and others going forward.

How to Market Yourself at Landstar

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

What a surprise. Well maybe not. Congrats on your new adventure.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army

Enjoy. It's a different world at LS.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

With your communications skills, you will do fine at Landstar. Just note that the audience that matters is the agents. While truck show and magazine appearances provide a certain storytelling value, at bottom, agents don't care about that and neither do the customers you serve. Agents care most that you make them look good when you roll on one of their loads and there are hundreds of trucks in the Landstar Express America system that do exactly that.

You will no doubt hear from many people who ask you what it is like at Landstar. This "How to Market Yourself at Landstar" piece was well received when I shared it a while back. It may be helpful to you and others going forward.

How to Market Yourself at Landstar

That is very true, although I'm sure there will be a few that might recognize them or their truck from publications, we have had a few over the years. Other than that they are as stated, great candidates for the LS system. I bet she's half way through the link already. LOL

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator

Fed Ex's loss is for sure a gain for Landstar!

Stay safe
KG

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

Thanks for the kind comments we have finished orientation and we are ready for our first load.

Learning a new companies policies and procedures can be over whelming and exciting.

If you see us out on the highways or at one of the truck stops say "HI!"

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 103

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

What happened to the side skirts, did they not work out?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

aimeejos

Active Expediter

Welcome to Landstar! We left FDCC ourselves back in Sept after 4 years. We saw changes in the system for E units that we didn't like. Landstar allows you to have more control over the frequency of loads and the lanes you choose to run. That agent relationship is not as important as many make it seem for the tractors- but it may be different for straight trucks. Best of luck and hope to see you out here on the road!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

What happened to the side skirts, did they not work out?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

The original skirts were put on the truck only for the show. Now they are being tweaked for reality meaning how they will be lifted so that we can check our tires and get into the took boxes. We are optimistic that they we be put back on over the Christmas break.
Bolt is wanting to be able to sell a version of these skirts so they are wanting to get it as close to right as possible so that they will be ready to market them.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

You guys are the reason im at land star among other things, there is no pressure here been here almost 2 yrs. and have never had a complaint.
thank you all again for your wisdom over the yrs.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

This is the best move you make in this biz.i haven't had a headach since I came here from panther
the first 2 weeks were a learning ex. but we got thru it easily hope to see you out here soon,in vegas at this time and and running solo wife got out for grand kids but lanstar lets you do this whenever shell be back in when I get home to fl. for my time off
Good luck any questions give me a shout out.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

Thank YOU ttruck we appreciate your comments. We are on our 7th day and we are still overwhelmed and a little in awe of how the loads come in over the QC.

Very interesting system and I will be glad when we figure out and remember where to find things!

Dreamer has started a Landstar forum and I look forward to your words of wisdom.