Panther's Macro#8 should be given a humane death

Falligator

Expert Expediter
RE: Panther's Macro#8 should be given a humane dea

Doesn't TriState and all the other carriers already have a better system in place? Why couldn't Panther just try and duplicate the system already being used? It just seems like an obvious sign that P2 doesn't care about it's drivers.
"There's your sign"

ShawnF

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Each system has to integrate and communicate with every other system. You can't just go pluck a system off someone else's server and plop it down and fix anything. You would have to switch to their entire system to get the one component. It isn't a case of not caring about their drivers, it's a case of eating the elephant. They are taking bites as quickly as they can but there's an awful lot of bites to take.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

csands007

Seasoned Expediter

>Don't forget about Romulus, MI now! I've mac8 only to see
>10 avail vans when I called in one evening i was 42nd out.
>Guess everyone lives in Michigan except me. No intentions.
>
>
>ShawnF
>11997
>Panther

Shawn, I'm not with the cat but when I deliver there I head south toward my home I've sit to much there and home is less 3 hours from there, at least one of my GF might be happier, on second thought maybe thier other BF's might be happier LOL
Chuck

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter

I agree that marco 8 is undependable. The milage and maybe the average loads per day are helpful. I remember the good old days when there were people in relocation. They weren't perfect but much, much better than marco 8.

I liked the way CTX used to do things. By the time you unloaded, the dispatcher had figured out where you were needed. He or she might suggest you move to a certain area. Or they might request you move to that area. Or they might pay you to move to the area. If they suggested you were on your own. If they requested you move and you moved within a certain time period, just like you were on a load,and you sit in that area for 24 hours without getting a load then they paid you $100.00. If they paid you to move the deal was the same as a request plus the mileage pay. I can't remember the mileage pay but want to think it was $.15 for a van. Don't know if they still do that or not.

Maybe P2 will get marco 8 to be more accurate. I hope so. Until then i will just use my experience and instinct.

That reminds me: Two little skunks were walking down the road and came to a fork in the road. One said "My instinct tells me to go this way" The other said "My end stinks too but it doesn't tell me which way to go."

Dieseldoctor

poison

Seasoned Expediter

sounds to me like the reason for the macro 8 problems lie in the drivers hands.Why are we griping about a problem we all are responsible for.
If you all would just respond to the suggested reposition either with a yes or no answer instead of just ignoring it.macro 8 would be more accurate.I know we respond every time whether or not we like the suggested move or not if thats not the direction we think we need to go we answer it with a NO.but with that being said it does need a place where you can put where you do plan to relocate.What I'm trying to say is don't knock a system down that was suppose to be put into place to help us if your not going to use it for what is was designed for.Thats
no different then stating your views on politics and knocking down gov. officials that are put into office and you didn't even go out and vote.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

" sounds to me like the reason for the macro 8 problems lie in the drivers hands."

Nope. It's a symptom because of the Macro 8 problem, not the reason for the Macro 8 problem.

"Why are we griping about a problem we all are responsible for."

Because it's not one that the drivers have caused.

"If you all would just respond to the suggested reposition either with a yes or no answer instead of just ignoring it.macro 8 would be more accurate."

Nope. Not really. That's putting the cart before the horse. In some instances it might make Macro 8 more accurate, if ony slightly, but on the whole it's not going to make a hill of beans worth of difference until dispatch and the comptuer are on the same page.

The computer "thinks" in terms of 3-digit Zip Codes, not in terms of how many trucks are within 50 miles of an area. I once delivered to Genoa, like 5 miles from the truck stops south of Toledo at the Turnpike and I-280. On the way to the delivery I stopped at the Flying J and fueled up. At the J there were 2 Panther straight trucks (that I saw, anyway) and 7 Panther cargo vans (among several other carriers). I then went to the delivery and PODded out.

The suggested move I got was to Toledo, and it was showing 3 loads a day out of there. I ran a Macro 8 and it came back as ZERO vans in Toledo. Doesn't matter what those other vans answered on their own reposition suggestions - they could have said yes, no, KMA, anything, doesn't matter. Fact is, they were there, and the computer didn't know it, and it wanted to send me there, too, even though I was also there already. I called into dispatch just to make sure, and found out there were 11 vans in Toledo.

"I know we respond every time whether or not we like the suggested move or not if thats not the direction we think we need to go we answer it with a NO.but with that being said it does need a place where you can put where you do plan to relocate."

I respond one way or the other, too, even knowing full well it won't matter in the long run. It won't matter until the root cause of the problem is fixed.

First thing is the 3 digit Zip Code issue and the 50 mile radius of the position board markets. If you think you're in Toledo, and dispatch thinks you're in Toledo, but the computer thinks you're not in Toledo, nothing will happen until we're all on the same 50 miles out page.

Second step after getting that done is to then educated the drivers on the importance of responding one way or the other. Educating to the point where, if you fail to respond one way or the other within a 15 minute time frame, your status is automatically changed by the computer to OOS until you do respond. I mean, if you fail to respond at all, nobody knows what yer doin', and if nobody knows what yer doin', they really can't rely on you at that moment to be included in any kind of business plan, like, oh, i dunno, a load offer or something.

Third step is to get some kind of real, tangible incentive to get people to accept the reposition suggestion, like a paid move. If steps one and two are done, and everything is accurate, then accepting the reposition suggestion becomes even more important in the overall fleet positioning, and a paid move is worth the cost to keep the fleet properly positioned.

If you refuse the reposition suggestion, fine, you go where you want, on your dime. And, when you answer NO, a field should appear for you to enter the city and state to where you are actually going. Spelling counts, as the computer can't read your mind. If you spelled it wrong you should get a response saying that the computer can't find the city you typed, so type it again. If it is able to figure out where you're going, you should get a confirmation for that, too.

So the keys to all this working are:
1 - Dispatch and computer both thinking in terms of 50 miles out.
2 - Drivers mandated to respond one way or the other.
3 - If a negative response, let the computer know your intentions on where you are going.
4 - Once arrived at your destination, either one from the computer or one of your choosing, enter an arrival macro to let the computer know you're arrived at your intended destination.
5 - Paid moves to the suggested relocation.

Once all that's accomplished, a fleet manager can get a really good overview of what's what and can make better decisions on a more timely basis. It turns a fleet of disorganized chaos into a well functioning, living, breathing organism that is ready to respond to just about anything at any time.

"What I'm trying to say is don't knock a system down that was suppose to be put into place to help us if your not going to use it for what is was designed for."

No one's knocking the system as much as they're knocking a really bad implementation of a good idea.

"Thats no different then stating your views on politics and knocking down gov. officials that are put into office and you didn't even go out and vote."

Except that in this case, we weren't allowed to vote, and even if we did, the wrong names were on the ballot, anyway. <rimshot>

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

greg334

Veteran Expediter

After reading all of this, the only word that comes up is Micromanagement.

Falligator

Expert Expediter

Ah...could we rephrase that to "Macromanagement"? lol

ShawnF

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Or simply call it mismanagement.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Macro-management just doesn't seem to fit but mismanagement does.

It seems that they need a serous programming overhaul based on real numbers and trend within the dispatching group, but again .... never mind.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

"Macro-management just doesn't seem to fit "

I think the point was that the system is based on QC Macros ........

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

I was told several years ago that if you said yes to the reposition, you would be overlooked for loads on any other boards because you were showing enroute to the reposition. They told me that you were likley to only get a load if you were the only one near by that could get to the p/u on time.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I just did a macro 8. The response was "no repositions found at this time." 2 minutes later I did another macro 8, and got information. Wow, I'm down to my last macro 8 for the day (limit 3 per day) and it isn't even 13:00 yet. what will I do? What will I do?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter

We've had that happen before too Moot. Why is it that there's a limit to the number of times you can send a Macro 8?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

Use to be one or two a day. Moot try 2 4's or a 2 and a six.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

There is a limit on the number of times you can send a Macro 8 in order to not have the Macro 8 function hog up all the computer and satellite bandwidth due to countless numbers of bored drivers sending Macro 8's every couple of minutes to see if any of the numbers change.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Gee, I used my third one this afternoon. Even got information. I'm 2 for 3 today. Now what will I do until midnight. I'm bored.