Panther safety exaggerate

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
why for example AllState drivers can run a 1200 miles run without brake and Panther drivers no.

If AllState allows drivers to run 1200 miles with no break while Panther doesn't it is because Panther is smarter than AllState.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
1200 miles in 24 hours, while it can certainly be done, it kinda nuts.

Where is that LAW that states that a Cargo Van driver that is no hauling Haz Mat and subject to logging cannot LEGALLY drive over 700 miles??
No where. Gotta remember it was a T/T driver that said that. They're crazy, dontcha know. :D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Turtle wrote:

Gotta remember it was a T/T driver that said that. They're crazy, dontcha know. :D

Well yea I knew it was T/T driver, but then again, i wasn't goin to call him crazy....but then again I know the only thing that keeps me from going "insane" is bein crazy!!!:D

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
I'm in this business since 2003. I know how to run and I'm not a slow deiver trust me. When the dipach called me with the load offer I asked twice if I will have the load transfer. They said NO.So....

Basically the dispatcher lied to you to get what they needed to get done. They lie to their partner carriers too, not only their own drivers!

That's what happens when you have 10 dollar an hour robots that are kids out of college.

Panther at one time had some good people, honest truthful people. They have all been run off it seems the last few years. Seems everything changed once they went public.
If you been driving since 03, with deadhead that load is not hard and can be done by a single.

I don't think it's a saftey thing as much as trying to keep their trucks busy.

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
1200 miles in 24 hours, while it can certainly be done, it kinda nuts.

No where. Gotta remember it was a T/T driver that said that. They're crazy, dontcha know. :D

I was under the impression this guy we are all talking about was driving a straight truck,having to comply with logs and such.If in a van,then maybe he couild do the load,but I'd hate to have run 700 miles and have an accident,law suit would be big

HHDLLC

Seasoned Expediter
All the big companies are like this. I was leased to FedEx CC a few years back. We had a load out of LA going to NYC. FedEx routes you. Well they routed us on I40. Problem was I40 was closed in Flag and with the storm moving east NM was going to get hammered. We choose to run I10/I20/. Every 10 mins qualcomm would go off. Then phone calls started. We where told if we ran their route and were delayed because the road was closed, that was okay. If we ran off route it was our heads that would roll. We got to NYC 6 hours early. The second truck that left an hour after us ran the company route and got there two days late.

You have to be a fool to work for the large companies. They are mindless wonders.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
LOL thats the truth they get all bipolar if you run your own route ! And I hate that when they call every few minutes I went through that with 1 carrier I was leased on with he called all the time I finally asked him do you even sleep man ? He said not much I have to make sure the loads get where they are going I was like well if you don't trust your drivers then I have no reason to be leased on with you sir. LOL And I canceled my lease that day I had ran many loads for this guy no lates and never a issie so no reason not to trust me.

But some guys are very special in expediting. RERERERERERE

All the big companies are like this. I was leased to FedEx CC a few years back. We had a load out of LA going to NYC. FedEx routes you. Well they routed us on I40. Problem was I40 was closed in Flag and with the storm moving east NM was going to get hammered. We choose to run I10/I20/. Every 10 mins qualcomm would go off. Then phone calls started. We where told if we ran their route and were delayed because the road was closed, that was okay. If we ran off route it was our heads that would roll. We got to NYC 6 hours early. The second truck that left an hour after us ran the company route and got there two days late.

You have to be a fool to work for the large companies. They are mindless wonders.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Why trash people who lease with these companies?

I find it odd that you make that statement but also in the same post say this...

They don't route you, they suggest a route which is computer generated.

You don't get the fact that they can't tell you how to run or hold you to any thing like that.

I think you needed to read the contract a bit more than the signature page.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I like panther but I hate the swaps also. I understand they need to keep the freight rolling to make the customers happy but when you get dispatched at 47mph they need to realize no one drives at 47mph that the drivers can make up alot of time based off the time allowed for 47mph. But they work off that number no matter what. I get calls all the time I get a long run and I stop after 400 miles or so and take a small 2 hour nap cause I have built up a 3-4 hours from the original delivery time and I always deliver early and not sure what it is but when I drive around 400+ miles I get tired :confused:

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
What I would do in this situation. Panther has records on their drivers. Safety and on time delivery %. Now let that guy who has experience ,no accidents ,100 % on time delivery record run the whole run ,and swap the loads from the new drivers without experience, with less than 100% on time delivery .I have a friend who use to drive for Panther ,who droved over the speed limit in the winter time in bad weather condition, just because he was stressed that Panther will take the load from him. True story ,trust me. So where is safety here ? I know he did a stupid thing but who forced on this? I understand Panther safety policy but WHY THEY NOT TELL US IN THE LOAD OFFER about the SWAP???? Do not tell me that they does not know. Hoe TriState know and Panther not?It is so hard? Tell me, hey I have a load for you 700 miles total run ,your part is 300 miles Take it or not. Thats it...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So what's your point? Can you make a good business decision on " maybe"?

The point is..You were told..it is YOUR responsibility to find out if it will swap...."Call" your dispatch and find out? or simply ask when called...

IF they lie to you.. then that is whole different topic..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I thought Panther gave out a standard..

"This load maybe subject to swap" message.

with every load??
Not really. You get that message AFTER you've accepted the terms and conditions of the load offer. In effect, that disclaimer is saying, "Oh, you know those terms and conditions you just agreed to? BBBWWWAAAAHHHAAHHHAAA"

I don't mind the swaps, since the rules are there and I know them going in. Dispatch cannot guarantee anything when they make the load offer, because they truly do not know at that point since Safety hasn't even looked at it yet, so you can ask all you want but they just don't know. I've gotten loads that I could pretty much count on it being swapped, and I'll take a look at where it's likely to swap, and I'll accept or reject based on that.

Frankly, though, way more often than not, I can talk them out of swapping. I make my case and don't roll over easy. They've got to make their case right back. Probably 80% of the time when they've pulled the trigger on a swap I can get them to reconsider. The other 20% of the time I'd be cutting it close, anyway, and don't have a problem with it. There have been a few times when I've taken a load and talked them into swapping it out, for varying reasons. Like the one time I convinced them that it was their idea to swap me out in Houston instead of me taking it all the way to Laredo, because there were 13 Panther vans in Laredo and I'd be the only one in Houston. :D

Even though I've been contracted to run the load, it is still, when all is said and done, their freight to do with as they please (within reason). It's their authority that I'm running under. I cannot forget that in leasing onto them, I am quite literally transferring to the carrier the right to possession and/or use of goods or equipment (my truck) for a term in return for consideration.

That doesn't mean I'm prepared to let them walk all over me, tho.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
The point is..You were told..it is YOUR responsibility to find out if it will swap...."Call" your dispatch and find out? or simply ask when called...

IF they lie to you.. then that is whole different topic..

Ok . I try to make you understand. When they give the load the dispach does not know if the load is gonna be swap or no. Panther has a different departmant who decide that . So is nobody to ask. The dipach can tell you ,no we will not swap this load. The decission will be made buy safety and YOU CAN"T TALK TO THEM.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is where I was going...
An experienced Panther driver knows the game and should be prepared to counter and respond....a new guy is going to have more of a problem and someone who thinks the sky should always be blue is going to have a real problem...
The carrier holds for most part all the aces by default...and once in awhile we can bluff and BS a better deal...but understanding the "game" is the first rule of survival out here...because if anyone thinks the carrier is going to follow their own rules either has their head up their arse or living in Oz...

These rules are NOT written in stone and there is a lot of dispatcher discretion and not every dispatcher thinks the same...

I refer to them as the "Flex" rules...and that is not in our favour...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok . I try to make you understand. When they give the load the dispach does not know if the load is gonna be swap or no. Panther has a different departmant who decide that . So is nobody to ask. The dipach can tell you ,no we will not swap this load. The decission will be made buy safety and YOU CAN"T TALK TO THEM.

Then dispatch protocol should be....that you are turned over to a safety rep and the dispatcher should shut the heck up...because they don't make the decision..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oh, you can talk to Safety, but by and large (despite dispatch telling you that it's Safety who made the decision) it's not Safety who makes the decision. All Safety does is determine when that 5 hour break happens. It's dispatch, whoever is in charge of monitoring your load and making sure that the loads delivers on time, that decides you don't have enough time to make the delivery and take a break, so they send it over to the Swap Desk who sets up the swap.

I'm driving down the road doing my job and out of the blue I'll get a beep with a new load receipt showing the new loaded miles to the swap point, even though there's no information about where that swap point might be. Someone had made the decision to swap (a.k.a., unilaterally taken it upon themselves to change the agreed-to terms and conditions of the load contract), and set it up.

I'll call in and raise Hеll every single time they do that, and I'll push and push even if I have to talk to everyone in the building, until I get it through at least one person's head how rude, inconsiderate and thoroughly unprofessional it is to make that kind of a decision without so much as a phone call to the driver. It's not about the swap, it's about being professional and not treating me like I've filled out a W-4 Form or something.

I know the people doing this don't make the rules, and thus cannot change them, but I'm still going to make noise every time I'm treated unprofessionally. They expect me to keep in touch with them about every little thing that happens out here that might affect the load, and I expect them to do the same.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I went to the walmart early today here in east peoria, il and there were 3 panther vans sitting and 3 fcc, and a couple other expeditor vans. WOW looks like I may not get freight out of my house friday LOL darn have to goto the gf house and get more strees relief lol.

But seriously I can't figure it out most the time when I talk to panther drivers they say panther sucks ok so why do you stay with them if they suck ? maybe the drivers I have talked to are useless drivers rejecting loads and screw off and maybe panther doesn't trust them with long runs ! All I know is this from panther people I have talked to either they love them or hate them and that is the same with every single company out here.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
I went to the walmart early today here in east peoria, il and there were 3 panther vans sitting and 3 fcc, and a couple other expeditor vans. WOW looks like I may not get freight out of my house friday LOL darn have to goto the gf house and get more strees relief lol.

But seriously I can't figure it out most the time when I talk to panther drivers they say panther sucks ok so why do you stay with them if they suck ? maybe the drivers I have talked to are useless drivers rejecting loads and screw off and maybe panther doesn't trust them with long runs ! All I know is this from panther people I have talked to either they love them or hate them and that is the same with every single company out here.

And your point is...