Panther people

JoeMP2

Seasoned Expediter
RE: how to make inputs

Cheri... Touche! Priorities are everything in business and life. If P2 wanted better driver retention it would happen quickly.

crazytruckin

Expert Expediter

It does not seem to me that P2 even cares about driver retention. This seems especially true for single truck o/o's. Yes freight is at an all time low in the over 5 years we have driven for them but that is not the issue here. They simply do not address the driver retention issue by at least accomodating those of us with tenure. They are more inclined to cater to multiple truck owners than to individual o/o's. Case in point, on west coast we sat with a P2 fleet truck team for several days that was a board position below us and delevered 2 days after we did. We had worked our way up to 1st out and they were second. They contacted their owner who called P2 to complain and the next morning they mysteriously had a load out. Better yet, our board position dropped to fourth and we did not even move our truck. When I called our "team leader" to ask why, he had no explination for it, except that the other trucks bumped us for "dispatch error". What does that mean I asked and was told, "I have no idea". And while I am on the "bandwagon", whats up with this moving within the 50 mile limit, just across the street in some cases and dropping down on the board?? Over a year ago asked for a rate increase to match that of fleet owners and was told we signed our lease for your current rate and thats the rate. I could go on but I'm beginning to feel like whats the point.

To Panther management:If you really care, please do something about it!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

No, they don't care at all. That's why they invest a full day of their time to hold the quarterly council meeting. That's why they invest more time preparing the action item lists and all the other prep work they do. That's why they invest the time afterward to organize what we've done and get it to the correct people to work on. That's why they changed position determination from zipcode to lat/lon so you can drive down the street to eat without losing board position. That's why they followed our suggestion and programmed the computer to only allow 1 refusal if the same pro is offered more than once and to take the refusal off if they offer it a second time and you accept. That's why they followed our suggestion to maintain the 1st out from a mini if the next offer is another mini and you refuse it. That's why they are nearing completion on a complete rewrite of the repositioning systems to make macro 8 reflect correct information. That's why they have several other projects in the planning and/or development stage. They don't care. Right. That's just absolutely ignorant.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

crazytruckin

Expert Expediter

Leo, you mentioned in your last post that board positions are longitude/latitude based and not zip code. In light of all the recent board position problems we have had as well as with other drivers, this could be the problem that is causing drivers board positions to mysteriously drop when we move a short distance. I would like to discuss this with you personally. How can we do this?
Panther o/o for over 5 years.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter

Why could they not implement a system like FedEX CC which updates every 3 hrs to show how many trucks of any size are there and how many have been dispatched so you can see if things are moving or not and if not go somewhere else where there might be a better need?

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter

Panther has alot of people buffalo'd. all these things that they so called incorporated into the system due to the driver council basically mean nothing because it really isn't putting more money into the drivers pocket. It's just a facade to make it look like they're doing something which doesn't cost panther anything but a little time, and keeps most from complaining waiting on this miracle to change everything for the better. The way I see it in my mind is Panther comes into the council meeting with some idea which doesn't affect panther in any way, but making it seem like they don't know how to put it all together and ask's for help from the council, which in turn solves the problem. then they report to everyone what the council did for us.

If Panther wanted to fix the qc reposition or empty move or make it like Landstar, or Fed ex they could. But they won't. they want to keep you in the dark. The less you know about something the less you can do something about it.

First of all if Panther really cared about their drivers (as they say that they do) the first thing they would do would be to stop putting on trucks when freight is as slow as it is right now. But this would be a benifit to the drivers not to Panther. Actually stop putting on trucks period.

I really wish most people in expediting today had the chance to experience the time when the truck made more on the load than the company that booked it, because the truck had the majority of the expense. which it still does, how it got turned around I don't know.
but with fuel prices soaring, maintenance and every other cost on the road going up, You don't see an increase in anything other then a few pennies on the F.S.C. And some think my biggest worry is getting offered two minis in a row, LMFAO WAKE UP !!!

But oh to feel IMPORTANT !

greg334

Veteran Expediter

"That's why they invest a full day of their time to hold the quarterly council meeting."

Leo,
Are they being paid? If so, it is not an investment.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Can't argue on the fact that they have too many trucks in the wrong areas. I hope that gets addressed with the new relocation system.
Also agree on putting the brakes on with recruiting. Effectively move the trucks to the right location, and everyone wins.

FYI......they started implementation I believe yesterday. You should start seeing different towns showing up when looking at boards.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Fr8 Shaker, why have we never met when I'm in Seville? I've met all the other Panther executives so I need to meet you to complete the batch. It's interesting the other executives have a different outlook and opinion on what we are doing with the council than you do. Maybe you've been there longer than the rest so you know more about the council and what we are doing. You really should attend at least one of our meetings though before you tell all you know. There might be at least one or two surprises.

Greg, you can select a different word than invest if you wish. Yes, they are paid however those hours could and would be spent on other projects and tasks were it not for the council meeting. Those things were done at another time for which they were again paid the same amount as the first time span so it cost Panther double for those projects and tasks.

The orientations are basically replacements for those who have quit. The fleet size isn't growing at some astronomical rate which could be attributed to an orientation full of new people. It is full of replacement people with perhaps 1 or 2 new as well.

When the new reposition system is fully functional it will be possible to have upwards of 90% accuracy in fleet management and positioning IF all unit operators will respond to suggested reposition locations. It would be impossible to achieve 100% because even the best predictions of future trends are only predictions.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

fastrod

Expert Expediter

Fr8shaker, I do not think panther is making more than the o/o is. When I go looking for new customers I have been told at different times what panthers rate is for a van. They make about 35% of the base rate from what I can fiqure. The problem is that there rates are very low.

G

Leo I don't care what your relation with Panther is but for me is simple they don't care about drivers...do you think executives there can't sleep because I cannot pay my bills? What Panther is doing now is trying to keep everyone busy with excuses your acceptance is low ..your truck is green...and this work for guys like Leo they love Panther because Panther love's them...Now Panther is loosing and is gonna lose everything very soon.. gas is going up and I like to see how many fleet owners can afford to get a driver...we'll see you too

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
off topic

This is a good example of a thread going off topic. The thread is supposed to be a call for suggestions to the drivers council. The council meeting is over, the thread continues, and I'm still learning new things about the company I haul for.

eb

greg334

Veteran Expediter
RE: off topic

Leo,
I guess when you see what most of their day's are like, you can say what I said but experience has shown me that they have plenty of time to do things - like meet with people on a regular basis as part of their job.

I don't buy into the idea that they are so busy that they can't meet with people as part of a program or some impromptu meeting or even going on the raod to meet people. And if they say, shown an indication of or otherwise indicate that their time is more important than your time, I would say they are poor performers in their job to begin with or don't give a sh*t about the contractors at all.

I don't belong to panther and the chances are I will only see their HQ as I pass so I don't know what they are telling you all. I think that the driver's council stuff is good but if it to be effective, than it needs to have more access on an individual basis (you all figure out what I mean) and unlike our Phantom Driver's council, I think that Panther is moving forward with some better ideas.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter

They need to hire more staff to talk to drivers,and give them power to correct a wrong.The drivers/owners need to pick your fights and remember we run a business we are not panthers employees and they are not ours.

are12

Expert Expediter

Leo,

Unfortunately we have to agree with Fr8, Panther is only going to give us what they want - no matter what the Council fights for. I started this topic, hoping that enough driver's would contact their reps and b**tch to them, instead of on this forum. Maybe if the council members can walk into a meeting with a copy of all the complaints they receive - maybe then something would be done.

Panther really needs to do something for their driver's - with the cost of living going up each year and these fuel prices soaring. Just the other day, I read an article that claims fuel prices will climb another 20 cents before Thanksgiving. How many driver's are going to be able to make a living if they are paying outrageous fuel prices.

I think Panther really needs to put a freeze on hiring, especially with the fleet owners, even if it is just short term to see how things will go. Just this morning, we were talking with a team that was given an EM to Knoxville, there were 23 trucks sitting there and they only average 2 loads a day! We heard that there are over 30 trucks sitting in MI. Why are all these trucks sitting?? Maybe if Panther would keep everyone moving, they would not leave.

I did not start this topic to come on here and complain. We have been with Panther almost 4 years and, most of the time, are happy here but they really need to start taking care of the driver's they have.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter

Well I was just called by another friend who is on with PAnther as well and told they did implement new layover areas on macro8 so I did a check on mine and it lists some out of the way places nobody has ever heard of. Which if they get frieght out of there that's great, but they need to take into consideration of where are the trucks going to park in that area? Some of these new areas don't even have a walmart let alone a truckstop or such. Just another thing added that makes it worse not better.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Honestly I am wondering one thing, maybe this is the UAW experience I have making me think this way but I think what lacks here is a person who actually is either a owner or even a driver (or former on both counts) who has a real vested interest in the company with a voice and with leverage - maybe going so far as being a stocked optioned non-paid board member?

As bad as this solution may sound to a few of you, the issue really is that these councils all serve on the company's behest without a real voice, they are limited by the company to be a non-binding advisory committee. Sure for the layman having a driver's council all sounds great but from the corporate point of view, they are a pain in the a** and limited to a meeting a month or a quarter and in our case they are like the FISA court.

With someone who has both the knowledge and the position who is connected directly to the company while being an active or semi-active owner/driver, maybe the problems that you all face will be solved quicker with more of a clearer picture on how the company can use the owners to make more money.

I know that this may not make all that much sense to many but I see a solution here to the problems you all face.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

But, are the real or, imagined problems like Berneih's. If one was prepared for the "out of the way places", one could sleep in the peace and quiet that they offer. And, not have to DH back there to load freight, deadheading again from the truck stop or Wall Mart is not profitable. Pretty simple. Sounds like you wanted things spread out. Now you have it, and there is still a problem. Amazing. It certainly is turning out to be the "Dream Occupation" it should be, could have been, may be some day, once was, maybe, will be again, or something.