Panther people

are12

Expert Expediter
The next council meeting is coming up, have you sent in your suggestions and/or concerns to your council reps? If not, how do you expect anything to change?

Maybe if we all ban together, things will change. So take a few minutes and email your reps!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Very good suggestion. I would recommend they email verses turning this into a Panther bashing thread. That way they can review a lot of commonalities and address them appropriately.
I would also recommend to address a specific common issue.
Not one issue that happened one time on a run a year ago. Just using that as an example.
Regardless of the company, there is always places to improve.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My only suggestion would be to implement the things that are still on a very long list of Action Items that were supposed to have been implemented nearly a year ago. Some progress has been made in a few areas, but progress in other, arguably more important areas, hasn't been touched.

I do feel the Driver Council is doing a good (great) job, considering there is only so much they can actually do to remedy things. And I do feel good about the driver relations guy who is largely in charge of these things. I've talked with him a few times and he's certainly on the same page about what needs to be done and the relative importance of the various items. Of course, he's got his own uphill battles regarding structural and philosophical changes within the established standard operating procedures that he has to contend with.

At least the list of the "Top 3" items is certainly the most important 3. So he got that right. :)

Tops on the list is fleet positioning listed as the root cause of an inefficient and less-than productive fleet. And that's true. But the update solutions are, at least in part, putting band aid on a sucking chest wound. Yes, they need to revamp the board position software and get Macro 8 and Dispatch to be the same, and get some education out there to deal with it, and toss some bonus incentive programs out there, but the bottom line, the real root cause is, they are allowing the fleet to self-reposition itself, instead of a fleet manager working to ensure there are trucks and vans where they are likely to be needed most.

Granted, accurate Macro 8, and board positions via a QC macro, and education about what's what will certainly help a fleet manager do his job. But even with all that information available (when and if it actually becomes available, and is accurate), they are still allowing a fleet of drivers to make fleet repositioning decisions based on severely limited information (various trends are not known to the drivers, nor is the load turn-down rate of a given area, etc.). But a fleet manager can look at everything, or at least several fleet managers can look at different regions, and see that, say, there are far too many trucks in Toledo and not nearly enough in Columbus, and he can then offer authorized, paid, empty moves to reposition the fleet more efficiently.

They're hoping that the drivers will make a decision on their own to reposition themselves on their own dime, but all that does is create grossly inefficient fleet positioning where you have too many trucks sitting unloaded, and too many loads getting turned down or brokered out.

Yeah, getting the Macro 8 thing all straightened out is gonna be a big help, nearly critical, but it's hardly the root cause, and it's not the magic fix.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
how to make inputs

My dumb question of the day. How and to whom do I make my inputs? I just found that there is actually a live link to the drivers web off of my owners web page. My browser has always shown the link as a dead link, so I have always thought it was one of those under construction things. Now I figure out that I was using an incompatible browser. Anyway, I'm late to finding the drivers web, but I still haven't seen anything about who and how to contact. Seeing how old the posted newsletter is I just figured that communication was a half hearted effort anyway. Thanks for bringing up the topic here. Seems I get more and better info here than from mother panther.

My dream is to have board position listed on the owners web page. I have heard that the greatest phone and qc traffic comes from board position requests. I might never have to contact dispatch again if I could monitor my position on line. Uh-huh.

I agree with Turtle on management of fleet. Don't know if they can truly manage and position the fleet, since the drivers are "independent", but how many time have I tried to just get better information. I'm stranded in an over populated area, and I can't get any information. It's in panther's interest for me to move, and they still can't come up with constructive information.

eb

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
RE: how to make inputs

Your council rep depends on solo/team and van/straight/tractor. There are 6 reps, one for each category. One problem with fleet positioning is driver failure to respond to the suggested move message at POD. The majority don't respond so the computer keeps trying to move units to that location. Some of those not responding still move there but the computer doesn't know they are and so it over populates the area. Much needs to be done to improve the situation however there is plenty of fault on the driver's side as well.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

JoeMP2

Seasoned Expediter

Let us see the same screens the dispatchers see in real time? That would start a riot.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Contacting your rep. On the main page, http://www.pantherexpedite.com/ choose the driver login option. Once you log in the main page of that will have an option to post a message. That will go to your council rep for your vehicle category.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I think we are way too automated! buttons on a board where all dispatchers can see every unit nationwide (the old way)

Problem with an automated system it relies on 100% compliance from everyone or its a washout. If two trucks decide not to go to a certain location computer won't make the adjustment automatically..it gets confused...and manual over-ride kicks in.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Which came first: drivers ignoring the suggestions, believing them to be inaccurate, or the suggestions being inaccurate, because drivers ignore them?
Either way, it's a Catch 22, and if Panther can offer some(at least probably) accurate info, more drivers will use it, IMO.
I know that I used the reposition Macro, until I learned that it was extremely inaccurate. Maybe they could pay for accepting the suggested reposition, including using the QC to verify? I'm sure that would improve it's accuracy, and get the units to the locations most likely to have loads, too.

poison

Seasoned Expediter

I have contacted my rep. by using the driver website it says your rep will contact you shortly.Now either he/she did and I just don't know where to go to retrieve my mesg. or he/she never did contact me to begin with,,...and if thats the case then what the heck good is it.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter

Thanks Leo,

All this time I thought I was getting everything that was available through the owners side of the panther website. A whole 'nother world on the drivers side of things. So what else don't I know? No need to answer that question.

eb

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Are you solo/team, van/truck/tractor? I believe at least one council rep doesn't have internet on the road so prompt replies wouldn't be possible. For obvious reasons the council reps can't give their phone number to all their category so that pretty much means web contact when it's available.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

If you're married your wife will probably answer that for you. :+

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

First, I want to apologize for using the phrase, "self-reposition itself". My 8th grade English teacher called from her grave to chew me out about that one.

Second, I really wish the Cracker Jack staff in the Panther IT department would realize that Microsoft Internet Exploder isn't the only Web Browser out there and that a significant portion of us mere mortals out here in the vast aethernet use Firefox and that we don't really like having to fire up MSIE to switch to the Driver Web or to "Submit New Log" to our team leader.

"One problem with fleet positioning is driver failure to respond to the suggested move message at POD. The majority don't respond so the computer keeps trying to move units to that location. Some of those not responding still move there but the computer doesn't know they are and so it over populates the area. Much needs to be done to improve the situation however there is plenty of fault on the driver's side as well."

There are a couple of things going on there. One is, the education of the drivers to let them know how important it is to respond to the suggestion, regardless of the response. Yes or no, doesn't matter. It needs to be responded to.

The other thing going on with that is, it's still a symptom of letting the fleet self-reposition. In a Utopian world every driver would respond one way or the other to the reposition suggestion, and would then follow up in accordance with his response. But even at that, as long as the computer thinks in "3-digit Zip Code" ranges and the dispatchers think in "50-miles-out" ranges, it'll never be anywhere near accurate.

And even then, if the dispatchers and the computer are on the same page and it's all accurate, they (computer, fleet manager, whatever) cannot manage the fleet with an iron hand due to the independent contractor nature of the business. However, like Cheri suggested, if each suggested reposition was a paid, Empty Move suggestion, paid only if you accept the suggestion over the QC (and actually go there), then right there is your incentive, and will "accurate" things up in a hurry. If you choose to go someplace else, fine, but it's on your dine.

This kind of fleet-wide, paid empty move shift in philosophy will cost money, obviously, and much more than tricking (I mean, convincing) people into moving on their own dime, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the increased revenue that would result from a dramatically better repositioned fleet, not to mention more loads and thus more revenue for drivers and owners. I don't know about most drivers and owners, but more loads and more revenue would make me happy.

A well positioned fleet is a busy fleet, and a busy fleet is a happy fleet, and a happy fleet is one that doesn't have a 300% turnover rate.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

A 300% turnover rate? Even to a non-Panther expediter like me, that number seems high. We often read about over-the-road trucking companies that have turnover rates over 100%. But 300%? I have a hard time believing that. Under 100% seems more likely, and perhaps significantly below 100% based on what I have heard from another carrier. No disrespect intended, but did you really mean to say 300% as fact or are you using it as a figure of speech?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Since a 100% is the whole picture you can only turnover a 100%...Kinds like those pro players who give 110% effort..hogwash you give it all at 100%...I thinks it was just metaforical enounciation.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

OVM, if you had 100 trucks and 300 hundred drivers cycle thru in a one year period what would our turnover be?

I would think that the turnover would be a closely guarded number for any carrier.

I doubt that PII's turnover is anywhere near 300, but I would not be surprised if they tickled 200 every once in awhile.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter

i heard it was 129% driver turnover...from someone at panther..which seams like a lot of people, i guess thats why there is 2 classes a week..and the standards are lowering...soon you probably wont even need a drivers license lol...hopefully just kidding on that part..more importantly i would like to no how many of those turnovers were a result of financial obligations not being met....2 weeks ago i switched carriers from panther..and i filled out a 2 page questionaire on why i was leaving and what i thought of panther..besides dispatchers peeving people off and them quitting, i bet the big number one reason is lack of miles, which equates to lack of income, which equates to bankruptcy...as a big business does panther care that there is 2.8 vans on the road for every load a day??? no they dont..they have no obligation to you, they have an obligation to there shippers..i am not bashing panther because i am sure down the road i will drive for them again,..business is business and they are making a profit...loads are down and vans are up and that just equates to fewer loads to go around...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Phil, no, the 300% figure was not meant to be any kind of an accurate figure, it was meant to be an absurd, sarcastic exaggeration. The sad thing is, it's not all that absurd.

The annual figures published by the ATA show the turnover rates for the industry at large, and have breakdowns for the various sectors within, like National TL, Small Carrier TL, large and small LTL, etc. These numbers from the ATA are all for company-based, employee trucking companies, not for owner/operator-based carriers.

Because of the driver shortage in those segments of trucking, the various companies offer a wide variety of perks and compensation packages to entice and retain. Because of the never-ending quest for the BBD (Bigger, Better Deal) you find drivers who are constantly "perk hopping" to find those few extra dollars and benefits. In expediting, it's not "perk hopping" so much as it is the hunt for the elusive, allusive, and illusive [font color="green"]greener grass. [/font color="green"]

Most recently posted numbers by the ATA show a turnover rate of 136% for the year ending 2006. That means that is you have 1000 drivers in your fleet, then you had 1360 drivers on the payroll at one time or another last year. For the first quarter of 2007 it was 127% (highest first quarter on record). Those numbers are for the large TL carriers. Small TL carriers have slightly lower rates, 102%. Large TLT line haul drivers have turnover rates in the 90-105% range, and small LTL drivers tend to have some of the lowest turnover rates, with some companies approaching less than 20% turnover.

The figures published by the various US government departments, Transportation, Commerce, both Employment and Unemployment, they all show a larger turnover rate for the trucking industry as a whole than do the ATA figures. The difference comes from the increased turnover rate for owner/operators and the owner/operator fleets, plus, it gets murky because these figures also include things like dump truck drivers, garbage men, school bus drivers, anyone with a CDL.

Accurate numbers for owner/operator-oriented segments of the trucking industry are hard to come by, for several reasons. One being, carriers are not as likely to want to publish these numbers, as they tend to be larger than the national TL average. In expediting, the turnover rates can be just silly, what with the proliferation of cargo vans that by their nature will have larger turnover rates, anyway. Low investment, people see a cargo van in expediting and think, "Hey, I can do that!" and they get a van and then within 4-6 months they're gone.

The owner-driven cargo van turnover rate can be pretty high as it is, but the rate can just explode when you have a large number of vans that are driven by non-owners. And the large expedited carriers tend to have larger percentages of non-owner driven cargo vans.

I really don't know that Panther's turnover rate is. But, they are one of the largest, which would likely mean a larger turnover rate. And, they tend to be fleet owner oriented rather than driver oriented, which means a larger percentage of non-owner drivers out there, and should therefor have a larger turnover rate than one might think.

Plus, if you stick your head into the room mid-morning on a Monday orientation and you see 30, 40, even 50 people, and you see the same thing every week that you look in there, it doesn't take much math to see that the numbers don't add up to lower turnover rates.

I don't think I'd be too far off with an educated guess of 150%.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Whatever the rate, it's way too high!
About Turtle's mention of the money it would cost to pay drivers for accepting the suggested relocations: Panther doesn't appear to be in any financial distress, judging by the discretionary spending (ie: advertising, the Panther sponsered stock car, etc), so the question appears to be one of priorities. When Panther makes driver retention a priority in the budget, it will reduce the rate significantly.