Panther Orientation

guido4475

Not a Member
I was at their orientation for an hour and a half and walked out. In that time, 4 things that the recruiter told me were the complete opposite of what they said, even after asking them about it at that time.That was enough for me.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was at their orientation for an hour and a half and walked out. In that time, 4 things that the recruiter told me were the complete opposite of what they said, even after asking them about it at that time.That was enough for me.

did ya get bad vibes?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
How can I say this without getting banned...Let's just say I didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling..I'll leave it at that.

Why would you get banned for saying what caused you to leave orientation after one and a half hours? What could have been told that was so far off the mark?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not admin so not only do I not have the final say I have no say at all. With that caveat, I'd think that wildly ranting with gratuitous vulgarity might get one banned for a few weeks. I'd think that listing specific facts in a rational and lucid manner would do the reverse.

Recruiters vs. orientation/office is a tough one. I've been fortunate to deal with good recruiters who were honest and although they definitely told it all from the positive/company side they told the truth. I also know there are some reqruiters who are ok with doing whatever it takes to fill seats.

One partial solution is LOTS of research ahead of time and reading back a LONG way in these forums. Just about all the answers are here in the forums somewhere waiting to be found.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
It's kind of funny I hear of recruiters and how bad they lie and the company is nothing like the recruiter told me. But you never hear specifics. I just wonder if they heard what was said or what they wanted to hear. Could they figure that even thou the recruiter said that they won't do this or that, they figured they could mold the company to their plans.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
It's kind of funny I hear of recruiters and how bad they lie and the company is nothing like the recruiter told me. But you never hear specifics. I just wonder if they heard what was said or what they wanted to hear. Could they figure that even thou the recruiter said that they won't do this or that, they figured they could mold the company to their plans.

Hey Jazbo, what do you call that? Selective hearing? Wishfull tink'in? Or just arrogance & ignorance? Ya gotta understand, many of these folks realy have not had their feet held to the fire, and any and all excuses worked. Now, the monkey is truly on THEIR back and they be supprised I spose.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Jazbo, what do you call that? Selective hearing? Wishfull tink'in? Or just arrogance & ignorance? Ya gotta understand, many of these folks realy have not had their feet held to the fire, and any and all excuses worked. Now, the monkey is truly on THEIR back and they be supprised I spose.

It is really weird...the recruiter gets to the end of a section..and says...any questions? Anyone not understand what I said.....ya get about a dozen bobbleheads going back and forth....they get outside for a smoke and it is like...what did he say? *LOL* MEN..they are so stubborn and sometimes stupid..myself incuded...:eek:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think I will go with the advice Leo gave. Talk to the recruiter and then do some research on here to determine the accuracy of the information along with talking to some current and past drivers. Most would do that seeking employment, I fail to see why one wouldn't do it here. Most every carrier orientation is going to tell you "every load is a good load". And it can be if you aren't the one running it.

Janette

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Thanks for all the advice.

Well, I made it through orientation and it wasn't bad at all. I have to take my truck in tomorrow to get some work done, but after that I'll be on the road.

guido4475

Not a Member

It is nothing like that at all, like I said,I'll leave it at that.However, I will say that they were a much better company to work for in 1995. Totally different.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is nothing like that at all, like I said,I'll leave it at that.However, I will say that they were a much better company to work for in 1995. Totally different.

If you are not there now, then how would you know? I would feel pretty comfortable saying any carrier that was around in 95 is quite different today.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
If you are not there now, then how would you know?

By having freinds who are there, who have been there, seeing and hearing from them through first-hand experience(s).

Example:When I was there, I was able to walk in and sit and talk with Craig Amotto, the owner back then.A real nice guy.

Can anyone call in and be recognized by voice and not a number?That is why I like where I am at right now.

Being on hold forever? I may wait awile, but not that long.

I can go on and on, but I do know where you are coming from, also.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I went through orientation back in 2008 it reminded me of being in the military with then barking out orders of what to do. They could have been a little more friendly but I know we had a lot to cover and the room was jammed packed with people, so I guess that was their way of keeping us under control. All and all a pretty positive experience, and yes-Dash for the food haha. I really enjoyed my time at panther and frequenly think of coming back since I came off the road and resumed the local rat race of work. I guess it must be something in the blood, either you love it or you hate it. When I was checking panther out a while ago someone said they lowered the base pay for vans. Does anyone know if that is true, or what the current base pay for vans is?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe the new contract for vans has dropped from 77cpm to 70cpm now.