Panther Fleet Size?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
For the History of Expediting Project, I read the Panther registration statement and ammendments that are filed with the Security and Exchange Commission. For the full and most-current list of public Panther documents, go to:

http://www.sec.gov/search/search.htm

Enter "Panther Expedited" in the company name box.

In it's June 6, 2006 document, Panther stated a fleet size of "...over 1,300...." That number includes vans, straight trucks and semis.

On July 22, Panther announced its acquition of Con-way Expedite, which presumably increased its fleet size by the number of Con-way Exedite trucks on that day.

In its July 24, 2006 document, Panther stated a fleet size of "...over 1,500...."

For those in the know, does that 200 truck increase sound right to you? Also, can you say what the present size of the Panther fleet is?

While the Open Forurm is fertile ground for them, I'm not trying to start a heated discussion of any kind here; just trying to capture current numbers for use in the History of Expediting forum.

Any additional history of expediting information readers wish to provide about any carrier or other topic would be appreciated. See the History of Expediting forum for more.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi...cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID23&conf=DCConfID11

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Con-Way buyout was 7/22, though, so those 05/31 numbers are gonna be way off.

The increase of 200 trucks is low, but they just stated "over 1500" and not an accurate number. Some Con-Way trucks declined the initial move, some left shortly thereafter, and some existing Panther trucks have left, and some have been added, since the buyout.

As for exactly how many there are, I've never asked. Give 'em a call.

elway

Seasoned Expediter
I hear it might be getting bigger. I have heard they could be buying 2 more compaines. Not sure if it true or untrue just something i heard

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Read what Panther says about future aquisitions and interpret their words as you wish.

This is from an amendment Panther made to its registration statement after the Con-way acquisition and after certain leadership changes were announced. Panther says,

"Growth through selected tuck-in acquisitions. The domestic expedited transportation market is highly fragmented. We intend to continue to evaluate and pursue selected tuck-in acquisitions that we believe will enhance our geographic coverage, increase our network density, accelerate our expansion into new industry verticals, and expand our service capabilities with minimal integration risk. On July 21, 2006, we acquired the owner-operated based expedited freight transportation business of Con-way Expedite and Brokerage, a division of Con-way Inc., for a purchase price of approximately $8.0 million, which will expand our owner-operator network. Although we continue to evaluate and engage in discussions with potential acquisition targets from time to time, we do not currently have any other agreements in place for material acquisitions."

Compare that with a similar paragraph in Panther's registration statement, issued earlier, before the Con-way aquisition:

Growth through selected tuck-in acquisitions. The domestic expedited transportation market is highly fragmented. We intend to continue to evaluate and pursue selected tuck-in acquisitions that will enhance our geographic coverage, increase our network density, accelerate our expansion into new industry verticals, and expand our service capabilities with minimal integration risk.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
During our last outing, Rene' and I heard from "knowledgable drivers who had reliable sources" that some acquisitions would soon be announced. These included:

FedEx has bought Werner
FedEx is buying Express-1
FedEx is buying TriState
TriState is buying Bolt
UPS is buying Panther
Panther is buying Tristate
Panther is buying Express-1

It's amazing that so many of our driving colleagues have access to information that, if true, would never have left the boardrooms of the affected companies. A good thing to remember, when these rumors surface, is the advance information that Con-Way Now O/O's, drivers, recruiters and office staff had before Panther purchased their company.

The bottom line is...We ain't gonna know 'til it's a done deal!

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
GM is buying Honda to compete with Toyota.

Google is purchasing Try-Hours and Radio Transfer to compete with the new microsoft expediting plan that was leaked at the GPS net conference last month. Apparently Google has a plan to e-mail most expedite freight that would have previously been expedited with a cargo van.

All members of the alliance will be required to get a larger inbox to accomodate the volume of freight that is expected to move over the net early in 2007.

Burger King is also purchasing McDonalds because of the rumors that their Fort Wayne locations are not expediter friendly.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
If Captain America said it, it must be gospel and you can take that to the bank.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
News Flash

EO hit the Mega million and started their own Expedite Company. Mr Mc cord from EO said that they would only sign on Driver's that don't mind working and they plan to buy all the Companies that Advertise on EO. They plan to Call the Company "Bull Sh*ters Expedite" So it will fit right in with all the Driver's.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
I will buy whatever is left, move it all to Mexico where I do not have to abide by the laws of the United States, and can then come in here and do whatever I want.
WOW - kind of scary when you think about it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just heard that FedEx was being bought out by JB Hunt. They want to get into the expediting end of things. I was told that they were going to have both company and O/O trucks. Layoutshooter