Oops!

marcm88

Seasoned Expediter
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and have a question to post for everyone to ponder. First, I have 20 years exp,an excellent work record and a clean MVR. I recently came home for a weekend and apparently had too much fun drinking. The next week I dropped a dirty urine. I entered myself in the DOT second chance program and have been released to drive again. The real question is; is there really anyone (or company) out there who actually hires drivers under these circumstances? If you have an answer, please contact me via the forum or e-mail me @ [email protected] Thanks!

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I wouldn't let it stop you from applying. Not really sure how it will show up on your record. I'm surprised that your "drinking" made your urine dirty into the next week....

R

rangell218

Just my opinion here, but Never have I heard of anyone testing positive for drinking after a week, before I started expediting I worked for a year in a youth facility and every week the boys would go home and we would give them a urine test some of the would laugh and we never got them dirty anyway during that time I was given training in this field and alcohol only stays in your system 1 drink per hour so as paul harvey says now can we hear the rest of the story

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The way I read it, the "too much fun drinking" was meant to explain the impaired judgment that led to the failed drug screen, not the failure itself.
As for the original question, I've never even heard of the Second Chance program, and can only suggest asking the recruiters for a response.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm going with Cheri's interpretation also. But if all you did was drink then there is a problem with the sample or the testing. I once worked with a guy that failed due to a positive for opiates. He insisted on further testing and was cleared. He had eaten a lemon poppyseed muffin a few hours before testing.

The initial test showed traces of opiates. A more thorough test showed very low levels of opiates. Levels that could be the result of eating poppyseeds.

If you are absolutely sure all you did was drink have the lab do further testing on your sample. If they still have it. If you were so drunk that you are unsure of what you did then take your dog to the vet for a STD and pregnancy test.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I'm going with Cheri's interpretation also. But if all you did was drink then there is a problem with the sample or the testing. I once worked with a guy that failed due to a positive for opiates. He insisted on further testing and was cleared. He had eaten a lemon poppyseed muffin a few hours before testing.

The initial test showed traces of opiates. A more thorough test showed very low levels of opiates. Levels that could be the result of eating poppyseeds.

If you are absolutely sure all you did was drink have the lab do further testing on your sample. If they still have it. If you were so drunk that you are unsure of what you did then take your dog to the vet for a STD and pregnancy test.

Hehehe...My sweet little mother had been a teacher for almost thirty years when she failed a drug test. She was so embarrassed and just couldn't figure out how. One of the ladies she worked with reminded her of their conversation in the cafeteria the day before as she worked down one of those poppyseed muffins.

Last week I passed a drug test. The night before, I had enjoyed a nice cold glass of sangria with my dinner. So......what gives? Is this a round of "Don't ask, don't tell?"

tec1959

Expert Expediter
I just love a mystery hehehe...

mystery:
noun
1.something that baffles understanding and cannot be explained.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just love a mystery hehehe...
mystery:
noun 1.something that baffles understanding and cannot be explained.

Will Marc succeed with the second chance program?
Was the urine sample mis-handled?
Will Spot test positive for an STD?
Is there a biscuit in the oven?

Stayed tuned for answers to these questions and many more.

marcm88

Seasoned Expediter
Just to clarify, I'm not really a drinker. I'm pretty much a 3-4 beers and I'm done kind-of-guy. On this particular time, I drank way more than I'm used to, Shots ,beers and I don't know what. I basically blacked out for a period of time but my brother took me home and I was in bed by midnight. The test came back positive for cocaine. I have no recollection of injesting coke. I have been taking drug tests for over 30 years and have never failed one--UNTIL NOW--So really what I need is the real answer to my question!!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Marc, the best thing to do is to talk with representatives from different companies you are interested in. Explain the situation and offer to be tested at the company's discretion, above and beyond the random drug tests. Good luck!

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
The test came back positive for cocaine.

See what just a few more innocent words do to a meaning.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Many large companies have drug/alcohol rehab programs.

You might contact those first.

Thanks for clarifying your situation.

I imagine there are many of us who have done something under the influence that we were not aware of until further down the road.

I happen to be one of them.

marcm88

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Rev Hall. The problem really is finding these companies. There are nearly 100,000 registered trucking companies in the U.S. alone.The task of finding one who will hire me is almost impossible. I have been making calls for ten days now since being released to work and have not gotten one positive response. I know there is someone out there who needs a good, honest, hardworking driver.You would think that 20 years of proving myself would be enough to erase one bad day and one bad decision. Apparently, some of you have too much time on your hands. My prayer for you, is that you never find yourself in a situation as desperate as mine. I'm down to my last dollar, my last gallon of gas, my last crumb of bread and my last nerve. I didn't even mention the sorry SOB I was working for won't pay me the 1400$ he owes me. He is using my situation to bolster his pocketbook. Well got that off my chest. God Bless All, Marc

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You would think that 20 years of proving myself would be enough to erase one bad day and one bad decision.

Marc,
I don't believe 20 years means sh*t when it comes down to it and should not mean a thing when it comes to drugs. If you want to call it an indiscretion or one bad day, it doesn’t matter there are rules and regulations we all have to live by and you knew that for 20 years.

What I mean is if you get so smashed that you are in a stooper and don't remember a thing, well there is a problem with personal responsibility. Maybe it is time to find another line of work where they don't do drug tests.