On the Road Recipes

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The Rice Cooker does MUCH more that cool rice. I have had the same Rice Cooker for 5 years and it gets drug out of the cabinet almost everyday to be used. I have cooked steamed rice in it maybe twice... Once with disastrous results to much rice and not enough water. I now know the meaning of rice glue what a mess.

I took the crock pot out of the truck as it cooks much to slow and I am not a patient person. I can cook everything in the rice cooker I could cook in the crock pot and much more. You can brown hamburger, cook steaks, cook salmon, and while doing that steam vegetables. You can boil potatoes in it, cook pasta very quickly and more than my imagination can think of. It is also much lighter than a crock pot and it WILL warm up the water and allow you to wash dishes in it as well. The thing is amazing and cheap.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
F
Linda, have you tried using your micro/convection oven as a slow cooker? I have a large Pyrex bowl that I use to make soups and pot roast while layed over. Cooking on the convection mode at 250 for about the same time as a crock pot will give you the same results. Obviously I have the same micro/convection oven and there is very little I can't cook in the truck that I couldn't cook at the house.

The Next Grilleration by George Foreman Grills - GRP54G

I am a little slow learning the convection oven as I have such a habit of getting out my rice cooker! Someone gave me the tip of using parchment paper on the pan in the bottom to catch drippings if I use the grill which works very nice as I did grill a couple turkey breasts. (I found I could have done this faster in the Rice Cooker). What do you cook in your bowl that I could do? I have made scalloped potatoes and ham in my rice cooker but it did not turn out very pretty. I am thinking I could use the convection oven for casseroles? What impressed me is that the convection oven did not heat up the sleeper unbearable or maybe it was the ONAN working really hard. I look forward to using it more this winter and will be dragging the book out once again on the settings. Any tips would be appreciated.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I have a hitachi rice cooker that is over 20 years old and still works like a charm....great appliance to have either on the road or at home.:)

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Linda.. I am going home before EXPO to get the convection oven cookbook I bought while driving Dan's sst to be a housewarming gift for the caffcadia. Be patient! Oh turkey breasts sweet potatoes and stuffing in a glass oval dish is awesome.
Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Ps. We brown country style ribs on the parchment paper placed on a pizza pan then put them in the oval glass dish to bake with sauce.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Stuffed Mexican Breast
1. Large thick chicken breast
2. Thin sliced black forest ham
3. Sharp cheddar cheese
4. Velveeta cheese
5. Mild Pace or Tostito picante sauce
6. Sour cream
7. Green onions
8. Bacon bits

Warm breast to room temperature. With them laying flat, butterfly (horizontal) slice each breast. Place on non-stick foil in shallow pan. Open and rub picante sauce on inside surfaces of breast. Layer in as much sliced ham as desired. Layer in ample amounts of sliced cheddar and velveeta cheese. Fold top of breast completely over stuffing. Spoon ample amount of picante sauce on tops of breast. Cover with foil tent. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. While breast are baking thinly slice green onions and save. When breast are done baking remove from oven and sprinkle ample amount of green onions and bacon bits on tops of breast. Bake uncovered an additional 5-7 minutes at 375 degrees, or until done. Breast should be tender and juicy at this point. Remove and place on serving plate. Spoon ample amount of sour cream on top of breast. Serve with side of mexican rice, black beans and onions, and plantains. Note: I normally have mexican rice, black beans, and plantains already prepared prior to baking breast and quickly reheat before serving.

This meal takes me approximately an hour to prep and serve on the road using only our microwave/convection oven in our ARI sleeper. It is delicious and has become a favorite of those I have served it to.

Humorous note: I learned of this recipe while dining in the on-site 5 star restaurant while visiting friends at a nudist resort they live at in Florida! LOL :D

Disclaimer: This recipe was slightly altered from the original restaurant recipe so as to not make me liable from stealing recipes from the chef! :p Nothing more dangerous and scary than being chased by a naked chef wildly swinging a meat cleaver! :eek:

Last edited:

MissKat

Expert Expediter
One should not dribble any of this hot
food on their bare chest....yikes

Angelpantz

Active Expediter
I found the oven ready lasagna noodles work awesome in both the crock pot and the lunch box stove! I layer them with my fav ingredients and they don't mesh up. Lasagna, tuna casserole. Either leave them whole or break them up!!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I found the oven ready lasagna noodles work awesome in both the crock pot and the lunch box stove! I layer them with my fav ingredients and they don't mesh up. Lasagna, tuna casserole. Either leave them whole or break them up!!

I have not seen the oven ready lasagna noodles thanks for sharing as I will be looking for them!

Angelpantz

Active Expediter
Oh!!!! And I just found the same size aluminum pans that you can use in the lunch box stove at Walmart. 3 for a $1 instead of 3 for $3.99!

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
So, I jumped on the rice cooker bandwagon. Tonight I used it to boil water to cook premade pasta stuffed with feta, mozarella, and ricotta cheese, tossed my precooked chicken in the steamer basket on top. When it was done tossed it with light ceasar dressing and calamata olives. It came out really good.
vepepa3e.jpg

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Thanks. I do have to say it is one of the tastiest things I have made. Tomorrow morning I am going to try chorizo and scrambled eggs for breakfast tacos.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
1/2 head of cabbage boiled or an equal size of canned cabbage, one 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, one 12 oz pkg of frozen veggies of your choice, salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle with dill-weed and parsley to taste. Steam cabbage until tender if you have a steamer. add all other ingredients, simmer for 30 minutes or so.. this stuff is soooooooooooooo good. Rolls or crackers gives a nice tough and a full stomach and you will be sleepy,lol.

PS add hamburger too if you want....

Last edited:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
A few easy meals I have made this week.
qahebu6u.jpg

This is a chicken breast stuffed with spinach, swiss cheese, and bacon.

2areby5u.jpg

This is mashed sweet potatoes, low sodium black beans, and egg beater breakfast tacos. Another good twist on this is using chicken instead of eggs for a lunch or dinne.

tuma6e7u.jpg

This one is chicken breast covered with garlic cheddar cheese, and bacon, brown rice, and steamed carrots.

e6y6edab.jpg

And a spring green salad with apples, walnuts, and balsamic dressing.

All of this was made in the microwave, and in less than 15 minutes.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Imo meatloaf is your best friend. But then again vacuum sealers are your best friend. But then again I just can't get enough canned green beans (name brand - this is way too important a topic for generic nonsense :)).

Put all that together and you end up with a single guy like me making a batch of meatloaf when he's home and stuffing chunks of it in vacuum bags and freezing it. I grab a couple of bags when I head out and reheat it with some green beans or (once in awhile) some other veggie.

Just to show how sophisticated (lol) my palette is I also do quite a lot of pot roast. Tuperware works well here. hmmm hmmmmm

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Jen thanks for adding the pictures! Those meals look fantastic. Can you share if you are only using the microwave to cook? Can you also share some ideas on how you pull all of that together in such a small area as the sleeper for those that are not yet in a truck.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
All of the chicken is precooked frozen chicken breasts, usually of the organic nature or low sodium. Just pop them in the microwave for a few minutes. Bacon can either be the pre cooked, or regular, since since raw bacon can easily cooked in the microwave as well. We usually buy frozen veggies, or the steamer bags of it as well. I just try to be as creative as I can. Bagged salads for the greens, even the ones in the chicken breasts. I spend a bit more on specialty cheeses, but they add great flavor.

For black bean and sweet potato tacos, low sodium canned black beans, drained and warmed up. The microwavable sweet potatos from the produce section only take a few minutes to cook and mash. I also prefer egg beaters, that way I dont have to worry about breaking eggs in the fridge. Toss some in a bowl and microwave. They are kind of fun too because they puff up like peeps do :) you can also add some precooked trukey sausage crumbles, diced onions and tomatos and make like an omlet. I try to do as much cooking in the truck as possible. Even eating nice meals like this, three times a day, as well as snacks, we typically spend about 60-70 dollars a week on food, where as if we eat out, its usually 20-30 a meal. It has been a great savings, and I have a bit more control over what goes into our bodies.

We usually stick to fruits and yogurts for snacks as well. And for dessert, I buy the Betty Crocker warm delight, 100 calories srvings. You add four spoonfuls of watr and microwave for 45 seconds. You have a mini cake, that I add fresh berries, or nutella to for a sweet treat.

I also have a mini blender that the blade actually goes into the drinking cup, and once you are done, you change it to the drinking lid. I use it for smoothies all of the time. Instead of usuing juice, I add gatorade to it. Lots of frozen fruit, some greens, and someimes a little yogurt, depending on how thick we want it. I love that little thing.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2