On the Road Recipes

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Until we can get a cookbook going, why don't we start placing all our recipes in one spot.

Crock Pot -Chicken Salad:

3 Chicken breasts enough water to cover
Dried Onion (or fresh)
Sage
Salt/Pepper
Cook until done (a couple of hours)
Chop it up

Add to taste and consistency
Celery Seed (or fresh celery)
Mayonnaise
Mustard
Relish
Mix it all together...it's great on grain bread for a filling meal.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Chili – Use a package of browned ground beef (brown it in the rice cooker), 1 can crushed tomatoes, chili powder, 1 can red kidney beans. Cook in slow cooker for several hours. Eat with crackers. This is great left over.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
BarBQue in the crock pot.

I use a pork roast but a beef roast will do. I put the pork roast (usually pork tenderloin since it is so lean) in the crock pot with about a cup of water and 1/4 cup vinegar. I slow cook it all day. Then for supper I take it out and discard the liquid, shred the pork and add my favorite BarBQue sauce. This will make enough BBQ for sandwiches for several days. We love pasta salad with our sandwiches. I cook the pasta in the rice cooker and use the steamer part to drain the pasta then add the seasonings (from the box mix) and I add a small can of black olives & some cherry tomatoes.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I just have to post Cheri's Ham and Potatoes Casserole as it is awesome!

4 Servings

2- Potatoes sliced thinly
Sliced celery to taste
Chopped onion to taste
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese to taste
French fried onions
1-Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup

16 cup Rice cooker

layer sliced potato - onion - celery - shredded cheese repeat
Pour cream of mushroom soup over top adding 1/2 can of water
When this becomes bubbly add the french fried onions
Cook until potatoes are tender

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Hot Chocolate Recipe

8 qt box powdered milk
11 oz jar plain coffee mate
1 lb box of powdered sugar
1 lb box chocolate powdered mix (Nestle's Quick)

Mix all ingredients together. Use 1/2 cup of this mixture per coffee cup filled with hot water.

Last edited:

1stariel

Seasoned Expediter
;)Grilled Quesadillas

Pkg Flour Tortillas, burrito size
Cheese of any kind
Pkg Smokie ****tail Wienners
or
Cubed Ham Pieces
or
bacon pieces
Mushrooms, mild banana pepper rings, black olives
butter/olive oil spray

Spray both sides of tortillas. Place into sandwich maker. Spread desired meats/veggies

(I've even used vienna sausages). Close and cook for about 2 mins...and waalla.. Any variations and combinations of "stuffings" can be used.

My favorite appliance for the truck is the Sandwich Maker from Walmart @ $9.97. (and at that price, you can afford to always have a backup :) ). With this little gadget, you can make
grilled cheese sandwiches, quesadillas, fry an egg & make toast. We've even had fried bologna & spam for sandwiches...only thing is never put your mayonaise on your bread BEFORE putting into sandwich maker...eewww. I always keep the mazola butter and olive oil spray on hand...will wipe out really clean after it cools off...I just use my wipes that I make myself. Also, I've bought the pack of cornbread mix...add a little less water, and have "fried cornbread", in the sandwich maker...mix a can of tomato soup with a can of Margaret
Holmes okra/corn/tomatoes, a can of lima beans, a can of diced potatoes and PRESTO, homemade veggie soup & cornbread....so good on those snowy nites sitting in the middle of nowhere.

Also, can use a small can of biscuits....spray down with choice of butter/ olive oil, and cook in one of these litt'l handy appliances. I also have a small crock pot on the truck, which I
occasionally buy the turkey tenderloins...just luv the apple bourbon/smoke ones, and put into the crockpot with some small red potatoes. I also keep Mrs. Dash original and just luv the
new "grinders" by Mccormick...especially the sea salt/garlic, and the black peppercorn/garlic and also the steak house grinder for spicin up the meat. I can spend 7 or 8 dollars on the meat and it will feed us a wonderful dinner, PLUS, have enough left over for sandwiches the next day...also enough to feed our four legged security...Lucky. LOL... I have often purchased the long grain brown rice and added a small apple juice to the crock pot with the choice of pork or turkey tenderloins....Oooohhh makes the ride so much better...the smells while riding down the road are wonderful.

I have several recipes utilizing two small "walmart" applicances and of course, the microwave...although I REALLY don't like using the microwave that much...just for the steamer packs that are available now...they're just wonderful for the veggies. I like using my small crock pot for oatmeal, and the sandwich maker for the "fried" toast...at least I feel I'm doing my part for healthy eating for my husband and myself even though we're not at home. The times I actually do eat the "buffets", I usually end up getting sick....I wonder why???LOL

1stariel

Seasoned Expediter
The sandwich maker is on the aisle "in Walmart" that all the small kitchen supplies are...usually sits right beside a waffle maker that looks almost the same, except of course the waffle maker has the raised "thingys" and the sandwich maker has the diagonial "plates".. always around 9.97...don't know the brand name right off as it's under the bed, and BTW, box it comes in is great for storage under your bed.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Ariel I hope you will post some more of your ideas using the sandwich maker! What a great idea.

1stariel

Seasoned Expediter
Hello Ladies...just want to introduce myself.

I have been a daily visitor to EO for about 2 years now. My husband drove for US Xpress for about a year in 2006, and the summer of 2007, I posted a couple of posts "need advice", as we really didn't like that big semi and was considerating expedite. We are the mid life change careers crowd...baby boomers I guess, anyway, one year ago today, we signed on with a small fleet owner and have never looked back (yeah, right). There have been times we've thought "we're crazy", but as a cancer survivor, my husband wants to see everything he can and wake up in a new place everyday....wooooweee, what a lifestyle, but we both just love it. We were fortunate enough to meet and work for a wonderful owner, as we took the advice NOT to buy a truck 1st...we've learned so much...still learning everyday. We still eventually will buy our own truck, maybe next year...I'm still learning all about the brokering/agent aspect now as I do not drive, just the rollin secretary:eek: LOL

The main thing we've had to learn is patience, the ole work smarter, not harder thing.

Hope everyone gets that "long, long weekend load" tonight or in the morning. Be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Ariel you are more than welcome! We also came from USX Bob drove I rode and we love this little truck so much! We no longer are paranoid about where we are going to park every night! We also enjoy the freedom we have without having to haul that darn trailer around everywhere we go. I enjoy driving our little truck but I never really wanted to drive the semi!

Keep us updated with ideas for the sandwich maker!

RANDYnRONDA

Seasoned Expediter
Another good item made on the sandwhich maker is little pizza's, and fruit filled pies. Just using 2 slices of bread and what ever filling you want. We make them at home all the time also.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Can you give me a little more detail on the little pizzas and the fruit pies? How you actually make them and the fillings? I have never used a sandwich maker and this is still confusing me a little!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't have a sandwich maker in the truck, (haven't any room left, even under the bed!) but I grew up camping, and we used the ones on a stick, over the campfire. 2 pcs bread, whatever filling you desire: a spoonful of pizza sauce, sprinkled with a bit of oregano & lots of mozzarella makes a nice cheese pizza, and a spoonful (or two or three) of fruit jam for a fruit pie, etc.
I'm sure they come with some recipes, right?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Almost forgot: last weekend, I made Pelicn's crockpot chicken salad, and it was wonderful!
I did substitute a pinch of rosemary instead of the sage, because sage reminds me of stuffing, which I don't personally care for, (I'll make it, but I won't eat it, lol) and it was delicious - great one, Pel! :)

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Peanut butter
Milk chocolate chips
2 slices bread
butter
powdered sugar

Butter one slice of bread, and carefulle spread peanut butter on other side, place it in the sandwich maker and top with chocolate chips. Place second buttered slice on top. Close lid and let it toast. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. You just made dessert or a good snack.