Ohio State Police withholding Michigan CDL.

ron

Expert Expediter
Still having recruiters contacting me for driving jobs. I was falsely accused of an accident in Ohio in 2005. The guy driving the car owned by the state of Ohio ran a red light into the rear of my truck. So the cops manipulated the facts of the accident to cover-up for him. I found out why trucking companies like owner operators,so when something like this happenss they can claim your and "Independant contractor",and not an "employee". This gets them off the hook. Your recruiters should inform new truck drivers that this could happen to them. I've have driven for 38yrs,and you run up against Police who play politics at an accident scene. My wife an I drove 5 hr. one way on Feb 14,2006 to Fostoria,Ohio. There wasn't one person in Ohio who stood up in court to defend me. There were witness that told the Police at the accident scene that the guy ran the red light. The Police told them "We're not interested". The Ohio State Police are telling Michigan that I'm a danger to others on the road. I haven't had a driver's license since 2006. It's nice to know the Police can lie about truck drivers,and wreck their careers. They can hide their lies behind their badges. the trucking companies,and the recruiters just believe the police,and go hire a new driver. Trucking companies complain that they cannot find "experienced drivers",but won't defend the good ones when the time come to do so. Thank for your time.

Last edited:

ron

Expert Expediter
Ohio attorneys don't represent people from Michigan. Everytime an Ohio sees that I'm up against their state they inform me that I don't have a case. After 7yrs i got the idea that "Innocent until proven guilty",and "All men are created equal" is just not done in Ohio. Attorneys are only interest in making big dollars,not the right to a fair trial.

twe2011

Seasoned Expediter
Are you from the United States? LOL! Just kidding. The school colors for the University of Michigan are Maze and Blue. They shout "GO BLUE!" You must not be from around the area.

No Sir, I am not from Michigan.

I thought it meant some type of code regarding a cheer, but I thought there was another possible hidden meaning.

Thank you to clear that up.

Silly Me!

:eek:

twe2011

Seasoned Expediter
Are you from the United States? LOL! Just kidding. The school colors for the University of Michigan are Maze and Blue. They shout "GO BLUE!" You must not be from around the area.

Also, I say "Yes Sir" to you due to that honorability you have served.

Some people might take that wrong so I needed to clarify.

Have a great day!

;)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Also, I say "Yes Sir" to you due to that honorability you have served.

Some people might take that wrong so I needed to clarify.

Have a great day!

;)

Glad I could answer your questions. I kinda figured that you were not from the Michigan or Ohio area just by the question.

No need to call me sir, I worked for a living. Just an old army joke. Enlisted men used to say that when someone would call them sir. It implied that officers did not work. Thanks for the recognition.

Welcome to the forums!! Happy to have you and be sure to post often.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A drivers license is the property of the issuing state....so just how did Mi take your license? since you weren't charged in Mi? curious is all...

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Ron;

More accident details would help others totally understand the situation. Remember that there are always two sides to the story and the truth usually lies somewhere in between.

Please don't blame the recruiters or the trucking companies for not hiring you - they can only review the facts on paper and determine whether or not you fit their hiring criteria (which is usually "swayed" by the insurance company of the trucking company). Remember that the trucking company's insurance pays the claim to other parties damages and bodily injuries if you are "At Fault" in an accident while under dispatch. Thus the strict hiring criteria. Secondly, insurance is a "business risk" and you cannot force anyone to assume a business risk.

Chances are you will not see this violation removed from your MVR. Very seldom have I seen anyone be successful at having any sort of moving violation removed once they are found guilty of the violation, though it could possibly happen. This would be made even tougher for you since the incident occurred some time ago. Michigan MVR's show moving violations for a much longer period of time than Ohio. I believe Michigan MVR's show most violations for 7 years, while Ohio only shows for three on most moving violations.

I do wish you luck in your job seach. Just be honest with the trucking companies you apply to and perhaps provide them with a copy of the accident report along with your written explanation of the accident, along with your application.

I went through a similar incident myself years ago. Cops were going to a shooting in Toledo. I was driving home from work entering an intersection to which I had the green light. It was winter and I had my front defroster on high. The Camaro I was driving had a fan type rear defroster which was also on. The intersection was blocked by tall buildings so you could not see but about 50 feet of the oncoming traffic. Three cop cars ran their red light doing about 45 - 50 mph on a 35 mph speed limit street. One of the three T-boned me. I was cited. Hired an attorney, paid him big money, only to have that "Code of Blue Silence" and our legal system (that work closely with the cops) find me guilty. Caused me to learn that not all in life is fair. Next time I needed a cop, I decided to bypass the local donut shop and called a hippie. :)

Good luck in your job search.

Thanks,

HotFr8Recruiter

Monty

Expert Expediter
I can not discuss the original thread, I do not know the details, but a couple of points to remember.

Ohio does NOT have a state police. Michigan does. Ohio has the "Highway Patrol", which only has police powers on state highways, state property, or when working at the invite of a local jurisdiction, (and then under control of that jurisdiction).

Michigan, also, is not a member of the compact agreement enjoyed by many other states.

Under the Driver License Compact, in order for a driver's state to penalize him/her for an out-of-state offense, the driver's state must have the equivalent statute. If the driver's state does not have the statute, no action can be taken. For example, the State of Indiana does not have a careless driving offense whereas Colorado does. If an Indiana licensed driver gets convicted of careless driving in Colorado, the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles takes no action.

All states are members except for Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Tennessee.

Driver License Compact - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Ohio attorneys don't represent people from Michigan. Everytime an Ohio sees that I'm up against their state they inform me that I don't have a case. After 7yrs i got the idea that "Innocent until proven guilty",and "All men are created equal" is just not done in Ohio. Attorneys are only interest in making big dollars,not the right to a fair trial.
As Doug Stanhope says, "...With liberty and justice for all...Must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."

This is just another example of what I've been saying, that cops (with some exceptions) are the bad guys now, no better than the Crips or the Bloods, and in fact worse, because they do what they do under the color of law. If you can at all avoid it, NEVER call a cop. You're as likely to be victimized twice as any other outcome.

Monty

Expert Expediter
This is just another example of what I've been saying, that cops (with some exceptions) are the bad guys now, no better than the Crips or the Bloods, and in fact worse, because they do what they do under the color of law.

I'll pass your concerns along to my wife, who has been a cop for more than 25 years.

Wait, I think she's already heard it. :rolleyes:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I'll pass your concerns along to my wife, who has been a cop for more than 25 years.

Wait, I think she's already heard it. :rolleyes:

If your wife is one of the few remaining "good guys," I'm glad to hear it. Maybe the fact that she's been a cop for 25 years increases the odds that she's really one of the good guys...assuming she is.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Ron, I believe you first brought this up a year or two ago. To me it seems inconceivable your unable to find an Attorney from Ohio who cant be Co Council to a Attorney In Michigan.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
To me it seems inconceivable that one could lose their license for one accident, especially when one is rearended - there are drivers convicted of multiple DUIs who don't lose their license!
How on earth did that happen over what sounds pretty minor? I mean, you didn't leave any details out, like having killed a few people, right? [Come to think of it, the bus driver who did that recently hasn't been charged, yet] Why the draconian penalty?:confused:

ron

Expert Expediter
Just wanted to give you an update. i went to see another Michigan license examiner this past March. i ask for another hearing. This time i got an attorney who works as an examiner for the state on a part time basis.He looked at my case and agreed that i wasn't treated fairly by the Ohio police. i don't care if they were state police,or highway patrol,they still wrote a bias accident report,as the examiner found out. Well he agreed to let me apply for a license to drive a car if Ohio Police will agree. He did put on the stipulation that I not get a any tickets the first year,and agree to not apply for a CDL. The catch....the examiner has to notify the state of Ohio,and the Police dept,and they have to agree first. Ohio refused every year since 2007,so it doesn't look good this time either. I think the Bible has a commandment on bearing "false whitness" against someone. I guess the Ohio Police don't believe in the 10 commandments which our laws our based on. I just want other fellow truck drivers know how easy it is for the Ohio Police to hurt people by what they say...even if it's wrong. The courts will believe the police,before you anyday. I just hate being falsely accused,but that's what the police are good at...covering up the real truth.Thanks for the responses,and listening.

ron

Expert Expediter
This went to the new governor.John Kasich. Let's see what he can do?

You want to have a better state? Try treating out of state truck drivers with the same respect you give your local residents A national trucking magazine did a survey,and went to different truck stops all over the country,and asked the drivers one question. "What state has the most dishonest Police officers as a group"? Ohio was number one,then New Jersey,and Texas. That should tell you something about your state. I'm sure you'll keep encouraging this bad behavior? I hope not. I know this first hand as the Ohio Highway Patrol,and Ohio Departmentof Public Safety has refused to let Michigan reissue my CDL since 2007.Governor Ted Strickland was trying to help,but now he is out of office. A guy diving a Ohio state owned vehicle ran a red light into the right rear of my truck,and his passenger was thrown from the car,and was killed.The Police wrote a bias accident report to cover-up for the state owned vehicle,and driver.There wasn't one person in Fostoria Municipal Court that stood up during the court proceedings to defend me. Egual justice under the law? Not in your state,and the Police can manipulate the true facts. The witness at the gas station told me that the guy ran the light red,and into the back of my truck.They also told me that the police were not interested in their statements.The police made the accidet report on sided.The late George Carlin said it best. He said "The Police are paid to commit perjury when it benifits the states case". If committed perjury I'd go to jail. I guess you can hide your dishonesty behind a badge.I had to give up my livihood,so your Police can cover-up for the driver of a Ohio state owned vehicle.I told my wife on the way to Ohio..."Remember when we cross the state line we'll have no friends." Would you answer one question? How much longer is the Ohio Police,and the Department of Public Safety going to keep refusing Michigan permission to reinstate my CDL? Thanks for your time.