Nutrisystem...

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
Hey all! I just wanted to tell everyone about Nutrisystem! Its working really well in the truck! We swung by the house a few days ago because my big box (50lbs) of food had arrived! I had to clear out some room in the truck but I've managed to get it all separated and put away. None of the food needs refrigerated! I did have to stop my the store and add a few items like dairy (yogurt) and stuff for salad. The cost was a little high (280 for 5 weeks of food) but now my hubby has full use of our little freezer above our fridge so we are actually saving money not eating out. The food isn't bad, its comparable to lean cuisine etc. I'm looking to lose some weight before summer. If you got any questions just let me know!

Reactions: 2 people

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Lisa,
Let us know how you like it as you go along. I've heard of a few drivers doing that for simplicity. I like too little stuff to do a prepared meal, but I know it works for a lot of people.

Dale

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I worked for an LTL carrier that had the Nutrisystem contract for 2 years. Never ate the stuff but I did lose weight delivering it. No dock, inside delivery.

48ST8s

Seasoned Expediter
Definitely keep us posted on how you like the food and how well it is working. I did Jenny Craig for a while and lost some weight, but the cost was over $100 per week for the food and you had to go in every week to get it. Nutrisystem appears to be a little more reasonable.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
My worry about these two systems is when you off of the meals? How do you know what to eat? I also hope you keep us updated on how you are getting along with the system.

48ST8s

Seasoned Expediter
I know with Jenny Craig, after you lose a certain percentage of your weight goal, you slowly start adding back "regular" meals one at a time while still eating Jenny Craig food for the other meals. Not sure about Nutrisystem.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I used nutrisystem for a couple months when I was on the road. My wife thought it was high at first, but when we compared the price of it to what I was spending before we were coming out ahead with the Nutrisystem. I know they have one designed especially for guys with food that guys like more than the regular stuff. Like pizza, burgers that kind of stuff. I lost about 25 pounds and my bp shifted down as they say.

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
Its been only 3 days and I've lost 3.5 lbs!! I'm about 50+ lbs over my "ideal" weight so I'll probably lose quite a bit the first week then I'm sure it will slow down. Its seems pretty easy to follow and the food isn't bad...there has only been one dinner selection I didn't care for (beef stroganoff). I'm eating every 2-3 hours and I'm beginning to learn what a "real" portion size looks like...I think my buffet days are over. The only (not so pleasant) side effect is gas. With such an increase in fiber, with the food and added veggies, I knew it was bound to happen...my poor husband! On the website they even refer to them as "nutritoots"...lol. I still struggle when I have to drive at night because this is when I used to munch the most. Well, I'll keep you all posted...wish me luck!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I've heard other drivers use the system just for the simplicity of storage and the cost reduction as far as eating out. Please keep posting your progress.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If that is the entire food cost it seems pretty reasonable to me. It works out to $8 per day. I'm sure careful shopping could reduce that somewhat but probably not by much and perhaps not with as healthy a menu. My fear would be stuff I don't like. I'm a somewhat picky eater, probably around a 4 or so on a 10 scale. My downfall would be sodas, although if I switched to diet it could work I guess. Good luck and keep us posted not only on how you do but on your likes/dislikes of the menu.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Lisa, can't you snack on calorie free stuff? Raw veggies, rice cakes, (not calorie free, but nearly), stuff like that? I know it's hard to stick with a diet, if you feel deprived:(

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Hi Ladies :)

May I ask what is required to prepare these meals? Microwave? Oven of some sort?

I would be interested for many of the same reasons previously stated plus I could stand to lose a few pounds. I'm about 50 over my ideal weight, but even 25 or 30 would be nice.

Thanks, Rocketman

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Hey all! I just wanted to tell everyone about Nutrisystem! Its working really well in the truck! We swung by the house a few days ago because my big box (50lbs) of food had arrived! I had to clear out some room in the truck but I've managed to get it all separated and put away. None of the food needs refrigerated! I did have to stop my the store and add a few items like dairy (yogurt) and stuff for salad. The cost was a little high (280 for 5 weeks of food) but now my hubby has full use of our little freezer above our fridge so we are actually saving money not eating out. The food isn't bad, its comparable to lean cuisine etc. I'm looking to lose some weight before summer. If you got any questions just let me know!

test 12345678

Arpcraft

Seasoned Expediter
Hi guys, I will be taking the great job of transporting fifth wheel and travel trailers for a indiana company. I am purchasing a 5500 2008 dodge ram st quad. besidetrying to figure out the sleeping situation? I have also been thinking about food, I ate nutrasystem food back in college years. their home base was in boca Raton,fl and a friend of my used to clean their building, so he will get alot of food from the manager for free. It is good stuff, a bit high on sodium,watch up on that! I been thinking about getting started with nutra again, especially with this new job. I guess we need a microwave? I am 40 now and separated, defenitly want to go back in shape.

nutra sounds like a good idea specially for those of us who will spend all day on the road.

I know who own nutra now and these people are really good at theirway of doing things. It is own by Nestle and Purina.

Arpcraft

Seasoned Expediter
It is a 2008 dodge 5500 ,I guess the last step before a big tractor trailer. Yes, I am talking to this company down in north carolina, to add a sleeper with plama tv,air conditioner with heat,extra tank etc... , my own little ,mini,tractor trailer. I can conbined pull 26,000. I guess a good beginers'truck. In few years ,I will jump the fence to a bigger rig.

Last edited:

Arpcraft

Seasoned Expediter
it is a nice truck, a 5500 hundred dodge quad with a slepper attached, with ac/heat/ plasma etc.... everything you can imagine but a girlfriend:eek: that is why I will try nutrasystem so I do not have to eat outside. by the way , does anybody thinks about doing excercise somewhere? what people do? are they going to gyms near the highway? I am assuming that if you do not exsercise you will cramp into a ball. what do people do?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
People do a variety of things, from nothing, to keeping professional exercise equipment in the box, (or a bike). joining the Y, or Gold's - there's a lot of ways to stay in shape. (Mine mostly involves forgetting where I parked the truck, and hiking all over the lot, looking for it, lol. ) One member posted about using load bars in the box, as steps, and jumproping, too - you can use what you've got, just like you would at home.
'Fast food' is the downfall of many a person who "hasn't got time", which is every one of us, when we get a load, but the fridge & microwave can keep you on the right track. I can put my Lean Cuisine in the microwave, and be rolling again, in less time than I would spend waiting in line somewhere. Luckily, even the truckstops now sell fresh fruit, so it's getting easier than it used to be, to eat healthy.
Now, if I could just convince myself that I DON'T like buttered popcorn, sigh. :D

pelicn

Veteran Expediter

Now, if I could just convince myself that I DON'T like buttered popcorn, sigh. :D

Funny you should mention that...I bought a box a week ago, and the stuff has disappeared!:eek:
No wait, I know where it went...the back of my front.:eek:;)

tnt1271

Seasoned Expediter
When we first started we would buy groceries for convienence. You know all microwave stuff like hot pockets and noodle dishes. But I knew if I ate that stuff all the time I would be a blimp lol. So we actually started buying organic food like lettuce and apples and vegetables, bought a george foreman and we try to buy meat that doesnt have any antibiotics or steriods. It is hard to find this stuff sometimes. But Walmart has some organic produce and kroger usually has a big selection of it. We also have dumbbells and and the workout bands. I bought a small stairstepper at walmart for about 34 dollars. and all it is, is two steps and it fits really well in the truck.