No need for government

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Detroit is in a shambles. It is a wreck. Decades of decay have left a stench that permeates the entire region. It is a drain on the region, the State, and most of all on it's residents.

Government has proven it is unable to fix the problems. In fact, many of the problems Detroit faces were caused by it's corrupt government and are continued by it.

How to fix it? A group of private citizens is doing exactly that. Getting rid of abandoned buildings faster, and cheaper, than government ever thought possible.

The best and brightest people in this country are NOT in government. This is a fine example of how to tackle a problem.

MAYBE the city should deed over ALL the abandoned buildings to this group and let them "have at it". Rebuild the place after razing it. We can't do that because it would make the "rich, richer". I say, GOOD! Government is destroying the entire region. Move them out of the picture, TODAY, and let this bunch make some money, and build a NEW city!

[h=1]Meet Detroit's unlikeliest home wrecker[/h]

Yahoo!

ScottInBama

Expert Expediter
Driver
Who better to invest in a dead city than the rich? That calls for a song!! One of my favorites. Gotta listen to the lyrics.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HH_JAhhQKZE&feature=kp

Enjoyed the video; very powerful. I remember my first visit to Detroit in the late 1960's and I was like wow! Fast forward to my next visit in 2007 and I was like what happened. One can only hope this great city will return!

Sent from my LGL45C using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All we need to do to bring Detroit back is do away with government and turn it over to private industry

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
What? You mean....
Add jobs.
Raze and recycle buildings and steel materials.
Repair roads.
Profit.
Provide much needed services.
And all without political gain?
That's just kooky!! LOL!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What? You mean....
Add jobs.
Raze and recycle buildings and steel materials.
Repair roads.
Profit.
Provide much needed services.
And all without political gain?
That's just kooky!! LOL!!

Yeah, it's FAR better to continue with corrupt government, fewer jobs, no services and borrow money to keep people on welfare than it is to make a profit improving things. ALL Marxists know that!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
LOL!! Do the good people of Detroit just not care? Or what? If they're going to burn buildings, one would think the city's governmental offices would have been a target at some point.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL!! Do the good people of Detroit just not care? Or what? If they're going to burn buildings, one would think the city's governmental offices would have been a target at some point.

I don't think there are all that many "good" people left. Mainly a bunch of "gemmie goobers" The more Detroit is fixed up, the more of them will leave. THEN the "good" hard working people will start to return.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It may be presuming a lot to think they want it to get any better in Detroit. I realize this isn't about Detroit but the thinking may be the same.

Fearing gentrification, Black Portland neighborhood tells Trader Joe?s ?no? to new store | New Pittsburgh Courier

Improving neighborhoods is bad for the business of "community organizers". IF things improved there would be no need for them. People would thrive. They are in the business of living off of other's pain. They don't WANT things to improve, they would be put out of work.

Another likely reason is that Trader Joe's did not pay off enough of the right people in city government and/or the right drug dealers.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Everywhere I go in Detroit, the crumbling buildings [homes and commercial] belong to private businesses, or banks, who just abandoned them.
Same for every other city, it's just worse in Detroit. Private enterprise fails, walks away, leaving buildings to become eyesores. People get foreclosed, bank takes their house, it becomes another eyesore.
What happened to the responsibilities that go with property rights? :confused:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It may be presuming a lot to think they want it to get any better in Detroit. I realize this isn't about Detroit but the thinking may be the same.

Fearing gentrification, Black Portland neighborhood tells Trader Joe?s ?no? to new store | New Pittsburgh Courier

Gentrification may make it better for some, but it'd be those who can afford to live elsewhere, not for those who have lived their all their lives. They just find they can no longer afford to live there, and after that, no one cares where they go, just so they go somewhere else.
Housing for people who don't make a lot of money has been in critically short supply for a long time because developers find 'upscale' more profitable, so that's all they build. Making it worse for another upscale retail development is just nuts - there aren't enough of them already? Hint: watch for the "Available!" signs, they're all over the place, in every commercial/retail/industrial development built in the last decades. But they keep building more.
Where are people who work at WalMart & the fast food & retail industries supposed to live?
PS I have shopped at Trader Joe's, and they're right: they can't afford it.

TDave

Expert Expediter
This is overall a good story for everyone involed however I bet how he cut costs in half was by volunteers only its a non-profit group after all.......

Sent from my LG-LS970 using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is overall a good story for everyone involed however I bet how he cut costs in half was by volunteers only its a non-profit group after all.......

Sent from my LG-LS970 using EO Forums mobile app

The article said he cut the cost by the use of specialized contractors. Even if they used volunteers, is that a problem? They are still getting done what the combined governments of Detroit, Wayne County and Michigan are unable to get done.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Gentrification may make it better for some, but it'd be those who can afford to live elsewhere, not for those who have lived their all their lives. They just find they can no longer afford to live there, and after that, no one cares where they go, just so they go somewhere else.
Housing for people who don't make a lot of money has been in critically short supply for a long time because developers find 'upscale' more profitable, so that's all they build. Making it worse for another upscale retail development is just nuts - there aren't enough of them already? Hint: watch for the "Available!" signs, they're all over the place, in every commercial/retail/industrial development built in the last decades. But they keep building more.
Where are people who work at WalMart & the fast food & retail industries supposed to live?
PS I have shopped at Trader Joe's, and they're right: they can't afford it.

They can't afford it cause they're poor? Or black? Is it really about money, or appearance? And who's to determine that? Isn't it up to the company to plant their store, then survive or fail on their own? Methinks someone doesn't want a swank grocery store in the geh-toe. Pretty soon, you'll see some middle class whiteys looking for property to drive everything up.