Newbies beware! Law of Morons

clcooper

Expert Expediter
"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

remember when we said stick and stone may break my bones but names will never hurt me . do you see what they say today . the kids of today didn't have PARENTS . like we had . they have best friends

you talk about welfare people wanting every thing handed to them . the kids of today want every thing plus their smarts handed to them . they think if we pay 1000 dollars they wont learn has much if we would spend 10,000.

Benjamin Franklin and Albert Einstein were genius . and they had to work hard to get that way .

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"Benjamin Franklin and Albert Einstein were gunnies . and they didn't have to work hard to get that way ."

Neither of those two were in the Marines that I know of.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
LOL, good one, CC. I guess if the EO lifers were really interested in helping Newbies, they would actually give them some bit of advice rather than the stock "check the forum archives" answer...rather there is that faction who seem to get satisfaction of trying to make others feel inferior.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Lisa: speaking strictly for myself, I can't type the same things over and over again, and why should I?
How many times would you do it?
Some have replied to the newbies questions in exhaustive detail, only to see the same question a few weeks later.
Making others feel inferior isn't the reason - it's just freaking boring [not to mention time consuming] to keep saying the same things over and over and over again. If it makes someone feel inferior, sorry, but that's how I feel.

ccrider

Seasoned Expediter
LOL, good one, CC. I guess if the EO lifers were really interested in helping Newbies, they would actually give them some bit of advice rather than the stock "check the forum archives" answer...rather there is that faction who seem to get satisfaction of trying to make others feel inferior.

You are correct.
This is a "Love Fest" for the lowest common denominator.
Be thankful you're not one of them.
Just look at this thread and how quickly it went south and by who. The sorry part is that they don't even know who they are
(and there in lies the tragedy).

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just look at this thread and how quickly it went south and by who.

This thread was pointed in a southerly direction with the name calling in the original post.

Ditto what Cheri said. I've seen people come here and say they just didn't want to take the time to research past threads. That doesn't sound like someone with the ambition to make it, to me. How should we respond to people like that? People come here and type a couple short paragraphs about themselves and ask if they can make it. How do you answer that when you don't really know them? Like it or not, the advice to research is sound advice. The answers are all there.

Edit: I just researched your posts and the only posts in the Newb forum are in this thread. If everyone else is doing such a bad job with the newbs, maybe you should jump in and show everyone how it's done.

Last edited:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Looking over cc's past posts, seems to me he/she is the smallest shoe size in the room! I guess we should all go down to that level!

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

Letzboogie

Not a Member
Let me say first of all I do not want to ruffle any feathers. I have been reading back through the archives as many members suggest. I have found there to be many helpful ideas and I have have found many, what I would call, hair brain ideas also. When I compare some of the direction offered through out these old threads to my personal experiences in this business, I have to say, in my humble opinion, one would almost be better off using a trial and error method in expediting rather than depending on what I would call unfettered and likely unsubstantiated, boastful opinions.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let me say first of all I do not want to ruffle any feathers. I have been reading back through the archives as many members suggest. I have found there to be many helpful ideas and I have have found many, what I would call, hair brain ideas also. When I compare some of the direction offered through out these old threads to my personal experiences in this business, I have to say, in my humble opinion, one would almost be better off using a trial and error method in expediting rather than depending on what I would call unfettered and likely unsubstantiated, boastful opinions.

Boogie...
Most of the info here is all based on personal experiences...no 2 expediters do things the same way so all the "expert" advice is, well subject to inspection...
A newbees job is to sort thru and find what is relevant to their particular plan and work habits...

whether it is slowing down, what truck is best or whether ya split your hot dogs in half...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The key is to get as many ideas and garner as much from the more experienced as you can, and then apply what works best for your situation.

Letzboogie

Not a Member
Boogie...
Most of the info here is all based on personal experiences...no 2 expediters do things the same way so all the "expert" advice is, well subject to inspection...
A newbees job is to sort thru and find what is relevant to their particular plan and work habits...

whether it is slowing down, what truck is best or whether ya split your hot dogs in half...

I think that is my point in other words. I see you've been to Tony Packo's.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
There is a lot of info on here. Will it pertain to every individual? Nope. Most info is in response to a specific question. Some, like EB and others, have take the time to categorize some topics and posts to help folks. When I first came on the sight I simply went to the search and put in what I was looking for. The neat part is, once you got a hit, you can go in directions you may have not thought about and get a ton of ideas and answers to that particular question. This site has been around for a long time and has a great archives. It's a shame not to use it.

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The archives are the key. When I first came in here I read a LOT of past posts. I had NO idea what questions to ask until I spent some time reading. Once I did that I was able to narrow down the questions, somewhat, and get better answers since my questions were more narrow and direct.

There is not one, single bullet answer to this business. What works for us is likely not going to work for others, at least not in it's entirety. The answer lies is knowing what you need, reading how others have met those goals and combining ideas from multiple sources until you find what works for you.

No matter what you do, there will be a LOT of mistakes and trial and error. There is just no way to avoid that part of it. All you can hope for is to scale it back some.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As one can see by the recent responses, there is not one easy answer, there is no QUICK answer....IF you are truly really serious about getting into this biz...then you'll have to invest many hours of research and reading and sorting thru the material...After all....YOU are starting a business! You are the boss....You are about to have an investment for a career. That, if done right can be rewarding. Learning curve always takes a twist thru the wallet...

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
I don't believe ccryder is really concerened about the quality of the information posted for new drivers. He is sucessfully trying to make some waves and prove he is a little sociopathic. GOOD JOB CC!

66porkchop

Seasoned Expediter
I believe his name is Sean. He had a brief, failed driving career, so now he shows up whining and issues up his less than knowledgable comments in numerous other forums. They're all negative, spiteful and should just be totally ignored.

bimbim29

Active Expediter
I am a newbie and I personally find this forum an invaluable source of information. I think it is wonderful that these "seasoned" truckers take the time to post their opinions and help us newbies out. If we, newbies, don't have enough sense to sort through the information and glean what is valuable to us, then we probably couldn't succeed in any business. An example of being able to sift through the forum information would be that from the original post I can take it that there is at least one sour trucker out there who seems to just want to hear the sound of their own voice.
Thank you to all of you who do take the time to chime in. I hope to meet some of you at the Trucker Expo in Wilmington!