New to EO

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Greatings and salutations. just a quick introduction. I am new to EO and look forward to listening and learning from everybody.

I have been folowing the conversations for about 6 months now and just signed up. am still not sure if expediting is for me, but i am taking everybodys advice and reading posts from about a year ago. If i ask a stupid question, please forgive me. thanks.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Welcome ask all of the questions you want.... The more specific your questions are the easier they will be to answer.

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
Welcome, You will find most of your answers in here. But i would suggest that if you are interested in this BIZ that you make contact with a veteran driver, o/o.

My wife and I read this web site for over a year, posted alot, contacted alot, and talked to quite a few.

WE just started out the first of december and I must say that it has been an up/down time.
Wish you well.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Welcome and good luck in making your decision. Ask away and maybe try to narrow down your questions a tad. Ask a lot of pointed ones.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Welcome, You will find most of your answers in here. But i would suggest that if you are interested in this BIZ that you make contact with a veteran driver, o/o.

My wife and I read this web site for over a year, posted alot, contacted alot, and talked to quite a few.

WE just started out the first of december and I must say that it has been an up/down time.
Wish you well.

I hve only been out here since April of 09. I am still learning to pinch pennies, but dont skimp on ur maintenance and use the best engine oil u can ( I use mobile one). Ur lively hood is under the hood somone told me that.........sky:D

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks guys. I have to say, the friendlyness ( is that a word ?) of all of you is wonderful. I currently work for a major work uniform supplier, and have been doing this for 26 years. At this point in my life ( i am 55 ) my body says it's time to stop schlepping work uniforms and mats.

I guess what i need to know first is just how physical expediting really is. My brother-in law is a o/o semi driver and tells me he never touches freight. Is that the case here also?

Thanks again

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Sound like you might work for Aramark LOL
How physical depends on a lot of things. Straight truck or van driver?
A lot of loads are skids put in your van or straight truck. You could also have loads that are hand unload. At Ceva and Towne Air I would say my work is about 50/50 half forklift or pallet jack loads and half hand unload or white glove. I guess it really depends on the company you sign on with and also which jobs you accept.
A lot of tractor trailers are over 90% no touch or drop and hook probably why you see so many overweight truck drivers.
I think both straight trucks and vans require a little more work, but there are plenty of older people doing this job, I won't name names I'm sure they'll pipe up:D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Welcome, Ragman. To answer the question of 'how much work', if you are of average fitness, you shouldn't have any problems. We sometimes hand load/unload [with a pallet jack, usually], and we ALWAYS secure the freight with load bars, straps, etc, but that's about as far as it goes. Long as you can climb in & out of the truck without difficulty, the labor is relatively easy, lol.
PS It might be a little more challenging if you need to chain the tires, say, in Montana in January.....:eek:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Prolly depends on how much you want. I'm sure all companys have fingerprinted freight if you ask for it. We charged, and paid our contractors a nickel a pound for inside delivery when it was floor loaded. A 6000 pound load paid $300. Kind of a nice no-expense bonus at the end of a run. To my way of thinking.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do believe most carriers advertise 99% no touch freight .so you are expected to do that 1%..sometimes that 1% can be a killer on the back...:eek:

There is a time to give and a time to take...when one learns that we are all the better.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks guys (and gal too). Doing the lloading if necessary is not a problem. I was just wondering.

Hope you are having a wonderful new years day. :)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
From what I have seen with our dispatch system very seldom will you not know that the load in an inside delivery or pickup or if you will have to tailgate the load. We have a pallet jack which makes life a lot easier.