New Ohio Ban on Smoking

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
For a national ban, as you would have it, it would go against the Bill of Rights. You know, those 10 little laws that are supposed to limit the powers of the federal government; but which the feds continually trash? Last I checked, none of them say the feds can control smoking, drinking (which they did), regulate the trucking industry (which they did), etc. As it stands on smoking, they are abiding by the 10th Bill by allowing states to dictate (exactly what it is too) what their laws will be.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
I am torn on this issue and always have been. The libertarian in me wants the govt. out of my life as much as possible and give the rights and decisions back to individuals. On the other hand, I understand exactly what you are saying. A smokers habit is infringing and affecting your personal persuit of happiness particularly at truck stops. I guess it boils down to this for me. If there were enough people who would support a non smoking truck stop an enterprising company would develop one. I just can't make myself say the govt. should have the power of the gun to tell a business how to operate. Unfortunately this is a profession with a very large percentage of smokers and that is who the truck stops cater to.

We are also a very unhealthy group in general. Obesity, smoking, horrible eating habits and a stationary work place (sitting in the cab for long periods of time) are the reasons we can't get decent health insurance. Since I started doing this I realized quickly the need for more truck stops and how unhealthy most truckers are. Can you imagine a truck stop with a truly clean parking lot (no cig butts, p bottles and trash everywhere) that has a restaurant with a healthy menu, a fitness/excercise room with instructed classes geared toward drivers? I think there is a market for something like this. If I had a bazillion dollars I would look into it. The name would be Paradise.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A few years ago there was an organization called Rolling Gym which experimeted with putting in excerise equipment in Petro's. There was a small useage fee but in less then a year they pulled. The customers would much rather hit the buffet for hours on end then get a healthy 30 minute workout.

I am a non smoker but if you want to smoke thats your business. I do not have to patronize locations that allow and encourage smoking. I recently gave up my American legion membership due to the heavy smoking that goes on. Shame because a a 16 oz glass of Bud is only .85 cents.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll remind you constitution defending folks that the Ohio no smoking law was voted on by the PEOPLE of Ohio not the state instituded! Democracy spoke..Its unbelievable you critize what you all defend in other threads!

Live with it ...

BTW In Ontario it's illegal to smoke in your OWN car if there is minor children in it as well..hows that???

GerryGA

Seasoned Expediter
>I'll remind you constitution defending folks that the Ohio
>no smoking law was voted on by the PEOPLE of Ohio not the
>state instituded! Democracy spoke..Its unbelievable you
>critize what you all defend in other threads!
>
>Live with it ...
>
>BTW In Ontario it's illegal to smoke in your OWN car if
>there is minor children in it as well..hows that???

Sorry, but I haft to disagree Sir, were not a Democracy where majority rules, were governed by law that should be made by elected law makers. When it was put on the ballot the elected officals were shirking their dutes by not making a stand on the issue.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
>Sorry, but I haft to disagree Sir, were not a Democracy
>where majority rules, were governed by law that should be
>made by elected law makers. When it was put on the ballot
>the elected officals were shirking their dutes by not making
>a stand on the issue.

Hmmmm...Here in SD the people can veto the state lawmakers. I didn't know that Ohio lawmakers went to the people first.

We voted out the abortion law...but the 1.00 per pack tax on smokes was the peoples vote, cause as you claim the elected officials had no backbone.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We are a Democratic Republic, not a full out Democracy. That is, we vote for people to represent us. We do vote on selected issues. In a Democracy, the people vote on everything. More of a mob rule.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
>We are a Democratic Republic, not a full out Democracy. That
>is, we vote for people to represent us. We do vote on
>selected issues. In a Democracy, the people vote on
>everything. More of a mob rule.

thanks...interesting terminology...just trying to learn what i can on the U.S. system
:)

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
Van Man,

I hear what you are saying but let me clarify what I believe. I don't think it is the people of Ohio's right to tell a business how to operate either except through thier patronage or lack of patronage to that business. I do think it is the peoples right to say whether or not smoking or anything else should or shouldn't be allowed in pulic or govt. owned facilities. As to smoking with minor children present I have no problem regulating that as they cannot choose for themselves in what is without dispute a serious health hazard. Same for seat belts. I don't think I should be told by law to wear it but I think mandating child seats and so on is perfectly fine. Motorcycle helmets, same thing. These are all instances where research and common sense tells you that behaving in one way over the other is much better for you but I don't think the govt. should hold a gun to my head and tell me whats best for me nor should you and your friends or fellow like thinking voters have that right either. If I am not bothering or endangering you leave me alone. I will do the same for you.

By the way, I don't move any vehicle without everyone in it wearing a seatbelt and I wear a helmet whether its law or not.

Oh yeah and while we're at it. GET RID OF THE IRS !!!!!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I agree about the IRS x( As Leo said, those who are courteous towards others are overshadowed by those who are not. If the government could mandate & enforce common courtesy & common sense, they'd be the only 2 laws needed.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
How can our government officials dictate common sense when they don't practise it themselves? Sometimes, I wonder if they know the meaning.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many Americans labor under the idea that we live in a democracy.

People seem to love democracy, until they find themselves in the minority on an issue! That's because a democracy is governed by the will of the majority, sometimes to the point where people talk about "the tyranny of the majority." By contrast, a republic is governed by the law, to protect the rights of all.

Our Founding Fathers believed that governments are instituted to secure our rights to life, liberty, property, and the pursuit of happiness. Governments are not instituted to allow protection of those rights to be voted away by brutal usurpers of power.

That made me wonder, "Is there any mention of democracy in the Declaration of Independence?" I checked, and there isn't.

What about the U.S. Constitution? Nope, no mention of democracy there, either. In fact, Article IV, Section 4 states, "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government," not "a Democratic Form of Government."

James Madison, credited as the father of the Constitution, wrote in The Federalist Papers: "... democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths." Madison once described democracy as the "most vile form of government."

And when Ben Franklin was asked, after the Constitutional Convention, what kind of government they had created, he replied, "A republic, if you can keep it."

In fact, the Founding Fathers hated and feared democracy, because, in a democracy, the majority rules and individual rights are irrelevant. As one pundit once put it, "In a democracy, two wolves and a sheep take a majority vote on what's for supper."

It should come as no surprise, therefore, that when we recite the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag, we say, "to the Republic for which it stands," not "to the Democracy."

What is surprising is that there are a lot of people out there who are eager to promote the notion of "America's democracy," that we live in a democracy, etc.

That begs the obvious question: Why are they doing this?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
When the founding fathers came up with our government, it was based partly on the Greek democracy (republic). I wish they would've gone with the term limits the Greeks held also. Each representative served for two years, and that was it. It was to give each person a chance to serve. If they did that in the US, new ideas could constantly be set in motion. Think of the motivation 435 new representatives could muster to pass legislation. Plus, cowtowing for re-election wouldn't exist. Lobbyist wouldn't have the power they now hold. We would actually have 2 years of production from our officials. Instead, we have career politicians bent on doing the will of the money, not the people. What were our forefathers thinking???

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
Dead on right. Get rid of career politicians, the IRS and watch this country return to its full potential.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
OVM:

One of the freedoms we enjoy in these United States is the freedom of expression of ones views on any subject. If you share the view of other writers, it would be appropriate to give credit to that writer if you are going to replicate their works. Brian Farmer of Appleton, WI would appreciate it, The John Birch Society would appreciate it and the management of EO would appreciate it.

http://postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061227/APC0601/612270624/1036/APCopinion

Terry

are12

Expert Expediter
I guess it is time for me to put my 2 cents in:

<<I must patronize truckstops. There is no smoke free alternative available. If there were, I would use them exclusively.>>

Leo,

What truckstops do you patronize? Most of the truckstops we patronize are smokefree!! I, as a smoker, don't complain. I just take a walk outside to have a cigarette when I feel the urge to light up. My only complaint is, I wish the non-smoking facilities would put some type of canopy up with tables and chairs.

Or what about when you go to the truckstops - that still allow smoking in the restaurant and you have non-smokers sitting there complaining about the smoking? To me, if you do not like the smoke, don't sit in the smoking section!!

If I go to someone's home that is a non-smoker, I do not light up - even if they tell me it is OK to smoke in their home. But if you come to my home, I will light up when I have the urge!

The one thing I do not understand is how all these states that ban smoking, still sell cigarettes. It is amazing how they do not mind profiting off the sales of the cigarettes but they do not want you smoking in their state.

When are all these states going to start on the alchol? I do not drink and I do not care that someone else does but how many deaths are caused each year by drunk driver's? Why aren't they taxing the crap out of alchol like they do tobacco?

Like I said, just my 2 cents and I am sure it is not worth much more than that!! :+ :+

Happy New Year!!!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I pretty much go to J, T/A and Pilot with the rare stop at an independent or other chain. Other than in Oklahoma and a few local areas where it's against state/local law they all permit smoking. I've never seen a truckstop that was non-smoking other than by legal mandate. Anyone who purposely sits in the smoking area of the restaurant and then complains is an idiot just like the people who move to a subdivision a mile from the airport and then complain about the noise. Too bad. You made your choice so shut up and live with the noise or smell.

Your not smoking in other's homes even when they say it's ok shows you are another of the minority of more considerate smokers. It seems to be more common among expediters than the general population. Then again, expediters are the cream of the driving force. Perhaps there's a correlation.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.