New Ohio Ban on Smoking

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Please save us from the good people.

The definition of work places within that Ohio law includes vehicles with which work is being performed. I sure hope the police don't just narrow in on freight hauling trucks, but also include police cars, construction vehicles, all government vehicles, automobiles driven by working salesman, any bus containing entertainers, etc.

In addition to no smoking, ash trays must be removed from the vehicle and a sign must be posted on each entrance. If the trooper has no sign on his door, he/she shouldn't be enforcing the law.

Is a deadheading truck a work place? I can see the police patrolling trucks stops and checking ash trays or looking for plumes of smoke so they can bust the driver. Is the sleeper part of the workplace? I should think not.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Is the
>sleeper part of the workplace? I should think not.
Well it would be for a Lot Lizard.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi
Can't wait till they decide we are all too fat and its costing the country millions.Then they can really work their magic.That way they will be able to come into your house and tell you how to live.

Our goverment officials have wayyyy too much free time.Maybe we should only allow them to work 3 months out of the year.That will leave us 9 months of sanity.

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As I was in Ohio the day this took effect we all sat around waiting to smoke were we also had and found this. By the way we read it we can still smoke in our trucks.

Q16: Am I allowed to smoke in the vehicle that I drive during work?
A16: If the vehicle is company-owned, it is considered a place of employment under
the law and, as such, is a non-smoking area. If you own the vehicle and do not
conduct business with the public from your vehicle then the vehicle would be
exempt from the smoking restrictions described in the law.

Steve
Tri-State 368

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The problem I have with smoking in the truck is if I want my windows open to enjoy some outside air and the guy next to me is smoking then I get polluted air. It's a terribly offensive smell, not to mention a health hazard. Non-smoking areas don't work because the air follows fluid principles and circulates the smoke through the entire area. This is especially noticeable indoors. Anyone who believes a non-smoking area in a room is adequate needs to sit on one side of a hot tub while people pee into the other side. It's the same fluid dynamics principles.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Yep, and anyone driving sends fumes to other ppl. So let's ban running vehicles. Hell... let's just shut down factories since they blow smoke too. Careful Leo, once they finish with us smokers, they'll come after something you like. And there goes your rights too.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
And we all know what a huge hazard alcohol is, so they could ban that, - oh wait, they tried that already, didn't they? And I still have to hope the drivers sharing the road with me are sober...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Yep... thought of drinkin after I hit the enter key. BTW... keyboards cause carpal tunnel, so we gotta ban them too. Remember... safety first.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When the things I enjoy infringe on others they should be restricted as well. I have every right to enjoy my choices when they don't adversely affect others. I have no right to enjoy them when they do. I may not like it when I'm not allowed to have a Dr. Pepper anytime and anywhere I choose but if it's spilling onto others I don't have the right. It's no different for anything else. As long as it's contained and has no effect on others it's fine. Once it's not contained and infringes on others it's not fine anymore. The biggest problem is that too many either don't or refuse to see that smoke in the air is no different than pee in a hot tub. It may be introduced in the designated area but it doesn't stay there.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I find in today's world, everything affects everyone. Driving like a jerk causes everyone else to have to react to said jerk. Not washing your hands after using the toilet gives everyone else a chance to get sick. Sneezing into open air does the same thing. It's gotten to the point where ppl think they have the right to tell a restaurant not to make fattening foods. Ppl still live near factories and electric lines and sewage plants and near contaminated lakes and rivers and nuclear plants. To say everything that affects everyone should be banned is whacky. Some ppl just have a hard time accepting that they think others should live like them, and put a "you're violating my rights" tag on it.

I have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. How I live my life, whether smoking, drinking, or eating Big Macs 24/7, is no one's business but mine. If I'm blowing smoke in your face, please tell me and I'll move. I try to be considerate while inhaling my cancer sticks in the pursuit of my happiness.

And if you can smell my smoke while I'm driving, get off my arse or I'll flick a booger on your windshield! :7

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>If I'm blowing smoke in your face, please tell me and I'll move. I
>try to be considerate while inhaling my cancer sticks in the
>pursuit of my happiness.

That is a more accomodating attitude than many have. The only problem is that you could be sitting 3 or 4 tables away and the smoke is still going to become a part of all the air supply in the room. It goes back to the fluid dynamics and that what you pour into one end of the filled bath tub doesn't stay at that end. I don't care what you do driving down the road. I can and do shut off the outside air intake when I'm following a smoker.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
If you can smell the smoke of a driver in front of you driving down the road then you should get a job at the airport sniffing out drugs.

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Leo,

You have a highly unusual sense of smell to detect the odor of a smoker in a car ahead of you.
Do other odors other than tobacca offend your senses? I couldn't imaginine the challenges you are faced with every day in the life style of a trucker, like walking across a truck stop parking lot in July...Wow, I almost lose my lunch with my somewhat normal sniffer, so I can't even relate what you must go through.
Well maybe someday Ohio will condem wizzing in the parking lots....OH They already did??? Gee that really worked didn't it!!

I am a smoker myself but I do refrain from smoking in the presence of non smokers or those that it may offend, But in the privacy of my own vechicle on an open road, If I offend someone by lighting up....Learn to live with it!!! We both have to give a little right?

Dan

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I do notice other odors as well and at times it is very unpleasant. As I said before, I don't care what you do while driving down the road. I would prefer to have clear air, as much as that's possible which isn't a lot, while parked as well as while inside. That would require smokers to keep their windows up fully while parked. I doubt that will ever happen but it would be nice. At the very least I'd like to see a national ban on smoking in any business open to the public as well as withing 50 feet of the doors of the businesses. Most of those who post on here as well as those I've met are among the more considerate. Unfortunately you are the exception not the rule.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Leo,
Notice I said "in the privacy of my own vechicle". What I do there should not affect or offend you as long as you do not enter my private domain. If I invite you in, then I assure you I would not smoke or do anything else that might be offensive because you are then my guest.
A National ban on smoking would be nice you say, well so would a national ban on many habits that many find offensive, but where would it end? At what point do we cross over into being a people without any rights.
Please don't misunderstand my point, I am not defending Smoking, It is a nasty habit and unmistakenably unhealthy, as is secondary smoke, but, secondary smoke in a harmful mode is within 5 feet of the source in an open enviroment. An enclosed area is a different story.
My point is; if I choose to induldge in this habit in the privacy of my own home or personal property, car, boat, RV, etc. and it is not an illegal or mind altering substance then it should not become the matter of business of anyone but myself.

Respectfully,

Dan

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree and if you invite me in and I accept knowing you smoke then I have no right to expect you not to. I am not for any ban on what you do in your own home or truck. At most I would request trucks parked at a truckstop to keep the windows closed if smoking. I would however have a ban on smoking in any public facility or business. There isn't much else that can affect the entire occupancy of a 2000 square foot facility but smoke can and does.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like you're more disgusted by the smell, not the smoke itself. And as far as having us roll up our windows when we smoke... what do you want us to do? Die? LOL

To revisit what I said in an earlier post, it's more like changing the law to suit one's own personal agenda. But with this kind of speech, fuel is given to groups like PETA.

How do you like your steak? Soy or Artichoke?

Please explain which Constitution you talk about supporting... yours or mine.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
I thought I would chime in just to say I QUIT A MONTH AGO !!!! Hahahahahahaha

I understand both sides. I believe the govt. has no right to tell a business how to run that business or what restrictions they should impose. Of course some regulations regarding general safety and a true representation of what the business offers is required. If a business wants to allow smoking I believe it is thier right to make that decision. It is then my right as a consumer to decide if I want to spend my dollars there.

I really did quit about a month ago and this is no easy job to be doing to accomplish that. Smoking can he highly offensive to someone who doesn't partake and you honestly have no way of knowing how much so until you are a non smoker.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Congratulations on quitting. That is a huge accomplishment from what I am told and observe. The problem with making it optional is it removes the consumer's option. I must patronize truckstops. There is no smoke free alternative available. If there were, I would use them exclusively. I support the Constitution of my nation. I don't like everything it provides but I support it. Smoking has nothing to do with the Constitution. One can argue the whole pursuit of happiness thing but that's specious at best.

EO Forum Moderator
----------