New Jersey mandates snow-free vehicles

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can understand Scuba's concern..I really can..
Dave has the best answer for you big guys...don't go in bad weather....

and just transfer the load onto me and we'll be all set....

Joe you don't sit long enough in Joisey to worry about it...*LOL*

and if it does snow a little...just drive around the lot for abit!*LOL*

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, that should fix everything!!! This winter's weather should be interesting. There is an El Nino this year, but it is a weak one, due to cooler than normal Pacific Ocean temps.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, that should fix everything!!! This winter's weather should be interesting. There is an El Nino this year, but it is a weak one, due to cooler than normal Pacific Ocean temps.

On average it doesn't usually snow when the temp is below 0...only when it warms up to the 25 degree and above "on average"

A warmer winter in that light would dictate more snow...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
During most El Nino years the upper mid-west and Great Lakes regions TEND to have warmer and drier winters. The south and mid-Atlantic TEND to be cooler and wetter. It is hard to say what will happen this year since it is weaker than the last couple were. California and the west coast TEND to get pounded by coastal storms. We shall see. We have been getting FAR more snow than normal in S.E. Michigan over the past two winters. It will be fun to watch. Should drive the global warming bunch nuts. Nutser than they already are that is!! :p

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
NY may follow NJ soon I read an article where the rep said he doesn’t think that it being dangerous for a driver to get up there to clear off the trailer is an excuse. These people should be made to climb up on a trailer on a warm sunny day i would love to watch that. The other thing is warehouses have no incentive to add roof cleaners it’s not their problem. You will be forced to hire someone which means now that load is going for less money. If the morons in NJ want this then they should pay for it they should build cleaning stations and they should be free for us to use. But that would only happen if it was a safety issue which this isn't it is a MONEY GRAB.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
NY may follow NJ soon I read an article where the rep said he doesn’t think that it being dangerous for a driver to get up there to clear off the trailer is an excuse. These people should be made to climb up on a trailer on a warm sunny day i would love to watch that. The other thing is warehouses have no incentive to add roof cleaners it’s not their problem. You will be forced to hire someone which means now that load is going for less money. If the morons in NJ want this then they should pay for it they should build cleaning stations and they should be free for us to use. But that would only happen if it was a safety issue which this isn't it is a MONEY GRAB.

yeah stupidity knows no state lines...this will spread for sure...
and it seems the driver/owner always gets the bill...

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
The odds of any of us getting any significant accumulation are real high...soo I'd say this is an over reaction to almost a non issue

I can remember when seat belt laws went into effect hey it's secondary offence its not like they can stop you just for that. Well we all know what that has turned into almost every state can now stop you just for not wearing a seatbelt. That is a prime example of how this will work out. As states get short on money they will up enforcment of the snow removal law and if you don't think that will happen i have one question for you. Is it nice on your planet ?? lol

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Lawmakers of ALL types, local, state and federal are NOT living in the real world. They live in GAGA land. Most are SO stupid that they have to get up every morning and review the priorities for the day. Breath in, Breath out etc. The ONLY bunch in this country that is MORE stupid than the law makers are those who vote for them. These laws are just more proof of just how silly things can get.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can remember when seat belt laws went into effect hey it's secondary offence its not like they can stop you just for that. Well we all know what that has turned into almost every state can now stop you just for not wearing a seatbelt. That is a prime example of how this will work out. As states get short on money they will up enforcment of the snow removal law and if you don't think that will happen i have one question for you. Is it nice on your planet ?? lol

OVM calling earth..come in earth...*L*

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
All they need to do is lower all the overpasses and viola the trucks will be cleared :D:eek:
In all seriousness though, if NJ becomes a problem, I would think alot of trucking companies and warehouses would have the UPS type scrappers, or someone will start a business of truck roof snow clearing.
Problem is on some trucks with the translucient/fiberglass roofs, you can't walk on them, and I am sure a snow shovel could do damage. My truck has one of those roofs

Our box has one of those types of roofs also.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
layout the law is for everybody flying snow from cars kills or causes accident if u dont know that keep driving in the south

So are laws about lights and bad brakes,,But when was the last time you see a 4 wheeler getting a ticket for a light out,,or going thru a brake inspection? Or do you just drive during the daylight?
This is bout revenue enhancement from the trucking industry nothing else..These law makers dont care about you or your safety otherwise 4 wheelers would be regulated as much as the trucks.
Biggest thing ya gotta worry about is maybe your paint getting scratched but remember we all ready have laws saying you need insurance so thats not an issue.
Yep we need more laws out here,,they cant enforce what they got now.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
geez... whats next? Making a driver go out and pick up his gator skin on the expressway?

No leave it,,,,,but make sure ya shovel the snow off the right of way after it falls off your vechile and a lil salt on that chunck of ice would be nice,,,if ya have time of course.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Steven, maybe you don't know this but a trailer roof is max 13'6" not 20 and i have well over 3 million miles and i haven't ever been hit by ice falling off of a trailer yet. Maybe you drive to close to trailers. But Steven you still haven't told me how i am supposed to get up on the trailer to clean it off. It makes sence for cars and pickups to clean off they can do it from the ground safely.
I think since Steven is so concerned he should start a snow removal service at the NJ state line and save lives by removing snow from roofs himself . Are you willing to do that Steven ?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
When the snow needs removing we should call the Gov's office, let HIM crawl up there an do it.
They've been talking about this for years now, I really didn't think they'd be stupid enough to pass it

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
So are laws about lights and bad brakes,,But when was the last time you see a 4 wheeler getting a ticket for a light out,,or going thru a brake inspection? Or do you just drive during the daylight?
This is bout revenue enhancement from the trucking industry nothing else..These law makers dont care about you or your safety otherwise 4 wheelers would be regulated as much as the trucks.
Biggest thing ya gotta worry about is maybe your paint getting scratched but remember we all ready have laws saying you need insurance so thats not an issue.
Yep we need more laws out here,,they cant enforce what they got now.

How about all the silver or gray 4 wheelers that don't use their light during a rain or snow storm or even in fog I don't know how many close calls I have had with those invisible cars