Need info. on A. Blair

smokie409

Seasoned Expediter
I am considering going to work for A. Blair. I did a search and they are all old post. Anyone out there working for them now. I am thinking of leasing a Sprinter from them. I have been expediting for 11 yrs and the company I work for is drying up. Will Blair keep me working. (loads) Thanks for any info!

mamaduck

Seasoned Expediter
I have heard they will keep you busy but wanting to go home I heard only 2 to 3 days out of a month

mamaduck

Seasoned Expediter
Yes I talked to them this summer and that is what they told me They said loads were around 1,000+ miles little sitting but I really don't like the idea of paying fuel on top of the little pay

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You'll hear a lot of good and bad things about A. Blair. I started with them in March, 2004. I've left and returned several times. I've driven for other expedite companies and I've driven T/T for big carriers. Now I'm driving a Sprinter for them and suspect I will never leave until it's retirement time.

Everybody looks at the "low pay" and thinks that it would be crazy to work for them. But, the "low pay" is made up in volume of loads. So, you can sit for a long time waiting for your 1.00 or more per mile, or move all week at less pay.

Company drivers are forced dispatch. So what? Take the load and when you deliver your situation is just the same as it was before you took the load, except, you just made some money.

I'll never leave Blair again so long as I'm capable and willing to drive. They gave me a 2010 EB Sprinter. I've put in insulation, an Espar heater, and auxiliary battery bank and other improvements to make my experience better.

I can fit 4 full pallets (8 double stacked) in the van. Since we usually deliver direct, I don't worry about not having a sleeper because I won't be sleeping until the freight is off my truck.

I'm sure I'll hear a lot of negatives about this post, but I don't care. I'm too happy with them to listen to negative comments. We have one van driver who drove 170,000 miles from April until the end of December. I drove 137,000 miles. Obviously the other driver is luckier than I am at getting loads.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are they still leasing Sprinter's this is the first I have heard about the leasing and company drivers. :confused:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm sure I'll hear a lot of common sense about this post, but I don't care. I'm too happy with them to listen to common sense. We have one van driver who drove 170,000 miles from April until the end of December. I drove 137,000 miles. Obviously the other driver is luckier than I am at being dangerous.

FIFY:rolleyes:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I'm sure I'll hear a lot of common sense about this post, but I don't care. I'm too happy with them to listen to common sense. We have one van driver who drove 170,000 miles from April until the end of December. I drove 137,000 miles. Obviously the other driver is luckier than I am at being dangerous

My thoughts exactly!! How can anyone be driving safe when the miles that they're claiming are comparable to those of most teams? AND.....how does one rest well without a sleeper??

I hope we never meet up out on the road!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
CMP is CMP, no matter how many miles you run. If you make less per mile, you don't make it up in volume, you simply make less per mile for a lot more miles. You end up working longer and harder for the same money.

170,000 miles from April until the end of December is an average of more than 4300 miles per week, every week, for thirty nine weeks. That's an average of 72 hours behind the wheel every week. That's more than 10 hours a day, every day, for 273 straight days.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
this is outta the norm for MOST van/sprinters but if an accident happens, and god forbid it does, this is what will change the way vans/sprinters are looked at. if something should happen and an investigation occurs they will be able to find out what they need and see whats been going on. at this point in time it is not illegal but if the rite group catches on to it, it wont take long to bring it to light.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You'll hear a lot of good and bad things about A. Blair. I started with them in March, 2004. I've left and returned several times. I've driven for other expedite companies and I've driven T/T for big carriers. Now I'm driving a Sprinter for them and suspect I will never leave until it's retirement time.

(Left and returned several times? If you left once and came back and stayed, that would be one thing. Several times suggests that there are a lot of issues you've had to come to grips with.)

Everybody looks at the "low pay" and thinks that it would be crazy to work for them. But, the "low pay" is made up in volume of loads. So, you can sit for a long time waiting for your 1.00 or more per mile, or move all week at less pay.

(I'm not sure why low pay is in quotes. Low pay is low pay, period.)

Company drivers are forced dispatch. So what? Take the load and when you deliver your situation is just the same as it was before you took the load, except, you just made some money.

I'll never leave Blair again so long as I'm capable and willing to drive. They gave me a 2010 EB Sprinter. I've put in insulation, an Espar heater, and auxiliary battery bank and other improvements to make my experience better.

(They gave it to you? It's yours? Or, have you spent all that money on a company truck?)

I can fit 4 full pallets (8 double stacked) in the van. Since we usually deliver direct, I don't worry about not having a sleeper because I won't be sleeping until the freight is off my truck.

I'm sure I'll hear a lot of negatives about this post, but I don't care. I'm too happy with them to listen to negative comments. We have one van driver who drove 170,000 miles from April until the end of December. I drove 137,000 miles. Obviously the other driver is luckier than I am at getting loads.

I tried the low pay, volume idea of expediting for a very short time. I'll sit a bit and wait for a little more to run. It just makes sense.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That 170k would be a tough one as a solo regardless of rate.
But with that said, it isn't what you make but rather what are keeping? If that is workig for you, I would hang where you are at.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
OMG!!!! I'm sorry I ever answered the post. Stop with the dangerous drivers. Our drivers have an excellent safety record. We may not have sleepers, but we have room to sleep when we are shut down. My goodness. I have an Espar, a cot, blankets, a rug for my feet and plenty of food and reading material.

We aren't abused drivers. And as far as how much we keep? That's up to how well the driver can run his business. If he takes an advance for every trip ($10 charge), uses his comdata card for fuel ($2.85 transaction fee) at truck stops instead of cheaper fuel stops and eats at truck stops rather than at locations that have better food at cheaper prices, then of course he won't have much left.

For some reason, whenever A. Blair is discussed, I always hear how we just drive too much. Lucky us!!

Regarding the 170,000 miles, I don't have proof. I just believed the driver. I know I drove (loaded and unloaded) 137,000 miles from March 10, 2010 until December 24, 2010. I sat way more than I wanted to. Not everybody has to have his 8-10 hours of sleep every day. We are all biologically different. That's why HOS is so stupid.

Blair leases on O/O Sprinter and Team Straight Trucks. They hire company drivers for Sprinters.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I knew from the first post you were entering dangerous territory.:D

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
No kidding, Dave. I never learn. Anytime I defend my source of income, I hear about how we just drive too much and none of us make money. Geesh. If that were true, how come I always come back when I need money?

Doing the same thing again and again expecting a different outcome is a sure sign of insanity. That's me.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
We aren't abused drivers. And as far as how much we keep? That's up to how well the driver can run his business. If he takes an advance for every trip ($10 charge), uses his comdata card for fuel ($2.85 transaction fee) at truck stops instead of cheaper fuel stops and eats at truck stops rather than at locations that have better food at cheaper prices, then of course he won't have much left.

For some reason, whenever A. Blair is discussed, I always hear how we just drive too much. Lucky us!!

I'm more concerned about the safety of the van driver as well as John Q that is on the road with him but I have to stick my nose into your money here and ask you.......don't you think these comdata fees you posted above are waaaay high?? I mean seriously???

Yep.....lucky you.......better you than I!:rolleyes:

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thank you all for being concerned about our safety. That is very nice of you.

Regarding fees. I may have mislead you. At Blair, when you first start, they will give you an advance of half your pay when you pick up your load "free" for the first 4 weeks. The only cost is $1.00 to put it on your Comdata card. After 4 weeks, you can continue to get advances, but Blair deducts $10 from your advance and charges you the $1.00 Comdata fee. Comdata isn't charging the $10.

Because we are a small company, we have no "deal" with Comdata. So, if I were to pull into the T/A and purchase fuel with my Comdata card, in addition to the cost of the fuel, Comdata charges me $2.85 or so as a transaction fee. To avoid this cost, I have money moved onto my Transportation Alliance Bank debit card, which is accepted as a TCH card (cash price) at most truck stops. I can also purchase diesel at any Murphy (Walmart) with my Mastercard. The cost to transfer the money to my debit card is $1.00 by Comdata.

That's what I meant by high fees. Sorry for the confusion.

smokie409

Seasoned Expediter
Chetjester, Didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest but I liked what you had to say and thank's for your info. We are just trying to weed out the good company's from the bad.

I know you can run all those miles and still get plenty of rest. (Been there and done it) THANKS!

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Thank you all for being concerned about our safety. That is very nice of you.

Regarding fees. I may have mislead you. At Blair, when you first start, they will give you an advance of half your pay when you pick up your load "free" for the first 4 weeks. The only cost is $1.00 to put it on your Comdata card. After 4 weeks, you can continue to get advances, but Blair deducts $10 from your advance and charges you the $1.00 Comdata fee. Comdata isn't charging the $10.

Because we are a small company, we have no "deal" with Comdata. So, if I were to pull into the T/A and purchase fuel with my Comdata card, in addition to the cost of the fuel, Comdata charges me $2.85 or so as a transaction fee. To avoid this cost, I have money moved onto my Transportation Alliance Bank debit card, which is accepted as a TCH card (cash price) at most truck stops. I can also purchase diesel at any Murphy (Walmart) with my Mastercard. The cost to transfer the money to my debit card is $1.00 by Comdata.

That's what I meant by high fees. Sorry for the confusion.

I understood, Chet. I knew you weren't saying that Comdata was charging these fees.:D

After 4 weeks, you can continue to get advances, but Blair deducts $10 from your advance and charges you the $1.00 Comdata fee.

So with the above quote, are you saying that A.Blair "keeps" the $9.00 difference or did I miss something??

Last edited: