Need info. on A. Blair

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
My explanation on sleeping.

If I am so loaded that all I have is the front seat, my goal is to arrive at the consignee as soon as possible to attempt to be unloaded. If I were filled up and had to wait several days to deliver, it becomes "motel time". I'm so lucky as I live in Arlington, TX just south of I-20. So many of my loads take me close to home. So, if I'm fully loaded from Laredo going north, and I know for sure when I can deliver, I can stop at the house, shower, eat, nap or whatever and then head out to my delivery thus avoiding the hassle of sleeping standing up.

It's all in the planning.

It's amazing how many reasons you get concerning why they can"t, and never an excuse why they can. Frankly, the ad for drivers is pretty straight forward. Seems it said that if I want to work and move freight.......call. If I have the need to screw the pooch....don"t.

HHDLLC

Seasoned Expediter
Chet, I know you personally but you may want to read VERY SLOWLY the things you wrote. You sound a bit crazy.

Me personally, I want to be paid fairly for the work I put in. I like $1.25 - 1.30 per mile.

I'm glad you're so happy, but running that hard, all the time WILL catch up with you. That's my advise for what's worth.

I also have to question your wisdom putting that much investment in a vehicle owned by someone else. Again, my opinion, but you could buy one like mine for around $9,000 cash, fix it up like you want, and run for the guy I do. Running as hard as you do, you could retire in a few years.

Hey your happy, that's all that matters. Oh I got a driver, so we'll see how that goes.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Wow, Bob. You've known me almost 5 years and you decide today to attack me on EO? That was a bit unexpected. An email or a phone call would have been more tactful if you really think I'm that crazy.

When did you get to judge me?

Did you not read the post where I said I would never own my own truck? Missed it, did you? Maybe you didn't read this thread slowly enough.

Whatever, Bob. This is America.

HHDLLC

Seasoned Expediter
Chet, My comments were not a personal attack. If it came across that way, then I am truely sorry, in was not my intention.

This being a Newbies Forum, I will say this, what is working for you, is mostly likely not the right thing for 99% of the readers of this forum.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Bob HHDLLC:
would you mind telling me who you are contracted to that pays $1.25-$1.30 per mile for a Sprinter or Cargo Van. At $9000.00 I'm thinking a Van.:rolleyes:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I don't get the safety part ether. The average TT driver with a decent company runs 150,000 single and that's legal so a C.V @ 170k not really a big deal.:cool:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
The Cargo Van that does 170.000 miles a year, is doing 3,269 paid miles? a week, every week for 52 weeks. Personally I don't believe it.:cool: BUT I would really like to know what Company is getting their drivers 3000 plus miles week in and week out.

Last edited:

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
interesting comments. If you want the work, the work is there.

However, one of the replies did say something about a CSA Score and alert... to clarify... was that for Blair? or ? Explain further please. Just curious.

Also, regarding one of the comments on government regulations on vans and sprinters...
I'm all for it... time to level the playing field.
There's so much enforcement and revenue that can be put onto vans and sprinters it's almost unreal. Enough of going after the big rigs. Vans and Sprinters haul commercial freight, why are they not regulated like 18's are so much?

The government could rake in some serious money by cracking down on them.
Think about it, sleeper configurations, weights, generator set-ups, ventilation systems, electrical wiring and insulation regulations, freight bulkheads behind the drivers seats or "Sleepers". The log book end of it would also be good revenue.

If they enforced many rules that 18's have to endure onto smaller CMV's,
think of how much revenue could be made.

BigBusBob
OOIDA Member.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Or how about backing off a bit if it's so bad for the "real" trucks and continue to leave us in vans alone. Geesh

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I really would like to see the math that gets a solo driver TT or St 150,000 legal miles a year. Considering the 70 hour rule in any 8 consecutive days.:confused:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Well, it's not hard to calculate actually.

5 days of 11 hrs of driving = 55 hrs/week

55 hrs/week at an average of 55 mph while driving = 3025 miles/ per week.

50 weeks x 3025 miles/week= 151,250 miles.

5 full days a week and 2 weeks vacation.

FYI. I have never done this and probably never will, but I'm guessing there are plenty of LTL drivers who have. I'm also thinking they could do it perfectly legal if they choose.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You might average 55 miles per hour eleven hours a day five days a week driving East to West and back in Montana. I don't believe your going to average it on a daily basis in the real world.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If your not averaging 55mph on line 3, your making stops that your not logging accurately. Which would mean that quite possibly the 150,000 mile per year driver might just have more accurate logs than you.

There may be days that you can't average 55, but there are days that you can average 60+....I've done 60+ in a t/t with paperless logs and governed at 65 mph.

I'm not sure that it matters anyway. You asked for a log book that could show 150,000 miles per year. I'm just pointing out that it is possible. Do I want to do it? No, I don't. But it can be done and done legally. I'm just too lazy for that much work :)

Last edited:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
If your not averaging 55mph on line 3, your making stops that your not logging accurately. Which would mean that quite possibly the 150,000 mile per year driver might just have more accurate logs than you.

There may be days that you can't average 55, but there are days that you can average 60+....I've done 60+ in a t/t with paperless logs and governed at 65 mph.

I'm not sure that it matters anyway. You asked for a log book that could show 150,000 miles per year. I'm just pointing out that it is possible. Do I want to do it? No, I don't. But it can be done and done legally. I'm just too lazy for that much work :)

Yer trying to splain tings it seems, to a fella whom'd ruther stop an let the dawgs pizz every hunnert miles than do the windshield time. Prolly why those kinda miles kan't be done??

FOTR2001

Seasoned Expediter
this is outta the norm for MOST van/sprinters but if an accident happens, and god forbid it does, this is what will change the way vans/sprinters are looked at. if something should happen and an investigation occurs they will be able to find out what they need and see whats been going on. at this point in time it is not illegal but if the rite group catches on to it, it wont take long to bring it to light.
I agree with Dyma= I pray it never happens, but if it does the DOT and States will look at this and say ( Ok time for Log-Books) in the Expediters Van/Sprinters......Just be careful and stay focus ok....

moose

Veteran Expediter
I agree with Dyma= I pray it never happens, but if it does the DOT and States will look at this and say ( Ok time for Log-Books) in the Expediters Van/Sprinters......Just be careful and stay focus ok....

If it dose, it will be do to GREED, not an accident.
the Transportation Safety Administrations only investigate 4 roads accident a year.
Air crash investigations are way more fun.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
X06Col:
my dogs can go just as long as I can with out a whizz. I personally don't believe there's a driver averaging 55 mph eleven hours a day five days a week fifty two weeks a year.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I agree with you Bill. Teams may be able to average that- and if they do, it's not going to be a surprise that one driver "may be" driving more than the other... but solo's averaging those #'s are cheating more on their logs than on their taxes. How can I say that??

Well, what you're telling me is that if you stay east of Charolotte, NC for a week and a half, that 1/2 of those days you would be able to average 55? How about North East of... ? Baltimore?? I would enjoy seeing a solo average 55 for 2 weeks, 11 hours a day in that part of the country. West of Atlanta sure, but try in the north east. it can be done, for 11 hours, but not for multiple weeks at a time.

How many of us (that were above I-40, and east of I-35, averaged 55 when those snow storms went across the country in the recent weeks? Ok. I rest my case.

I noticed that the CSA Safety Score issue was never really brought up on this company, somebody brought it up... and it looked interesting.

Perhaps somebody would care to elaborate on that Blair Safety CSA Score a bit more and/or explain it further?...Not for me, but for all reading thru these posts that are curious about this company now and/or in the future.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I really would like to see the math that gets a solo driver TT or St 150,000 legal miles a year. Considering the 70 hour rule in any 8 consecutive days.:confused:

Bill ask to see the math. I showed it to him. In that scenario, the driver had 150k miles + some in a year. He had every weekend off and 2 weeks vacation. He also only used 55 hrs of his 70 hrs on line 3. That left him with 15 hrs for line 4 each week and very possibly some time for line 3 if he needed it.