neat mobile scanner

crashcart

Active Expediter
Just unboxed my "neat" portable scanner. Simple setup, hopefully easy use. Seems like this will be a welcome addition to my trucking equipment.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
We have been using the neat prtable scanner for years as well. Truth be told we would be LOST without it, and would replace it immeeeeeediately if not sooner if it were to die. It paid for itself quickly by not having to pull off the road to find and pay to fax paper work to our carrier that they needed for the load we were on.

Quick tip, I scan any paper work that is going to be emailed in the PDF format so anyone can open and view without having the neat software. Another tip under the "quick scan" there is an option for multi-page scanning, usefull if you plan to keep run paperwork electronicly, it allows you to have it as one file instead of a seperate file for each page.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I also purchased this at the first of the year. The tip on multi page scanning is a great one. I have started scanning all of our BOL's and some of them are several pages. I look forward to trying this hint.

The scanner is super easy to use and I really like being able to scan in a PDF format and email to people. The size is also awesome as it takes up very little room.

The scanner came in very handy on our old truck when we had some warranty work done. I easily found the receipt and printed it out. Before the scanner I needed a receipt which of course was at home and it was a frustrating experience.

After you guys scan your receipts what do you do with the receipt after it has been scanned?

Here is a link to the Neat Receipts:
The Neat Company - NeatReceipts

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
BOL hard copies go to Load 1 after they are scanner, everything else that gets scanned hits the circular file after it is vertified and saved....

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Bob & Linda
it realy depends on you as to what you do with the receipts once scanned. I for now save them in envelopes sorted by month, but that is personal preference. All receipts scanned are acceptable to the IRS, so if you don't care to save them there is little reason to do so. The only ones I will keep if I decide to "file" most are ones that the retailer state that the ORRIGINAL receipt must be accompanied with the merchandise to receive credit.
Another side note about multi page scanning is you have to select it every time you start the program. I have yet to figure out how to save that as a default setting. If I do ever figure that part out I will pass that on.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Bob & Linda
it realy depends on you as to what you do with the receipts once scanned. I for now save them in envelopes sorted by month, but that is personal preference. All receipts scanned are acceptable to the IRS, so if you don't care to save them there is little reason to do so. The only ones I will keep if I decide to "file" most are ones that the retailer state that the ORRIGINAL receipt must be accompanied with the merchandise to receive credit.
Another side note about multi page scanning is you have to select it every time you start the program. I have yet to figure out how to save that as a default setting. If I do ever figure that part out I will pass that on.

I too have used the Neatworks scanner for years - and as you have said the settings need editing each time you use it - I have not found a way of saving a default - but its become habit now to go in and set it up the way I want it :D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
While i wouldn't do without my Neat Scanner, if you have a QC that has a scanner, you can download a program online that will let you use it to save docs to your computer also....while not as good a program as the Neat Scanners, it does work....

crashcart

Active Expediter
Thanks all for the feedback! New to expediting, but knew was a good choice.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Each time I scan I have to change type to receipts. Is there a way to change this in the setting. I scan many more receipts than documents. I am still learning about the scanner.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Just upgraded to Neat 5....:mad: Don't do it....it's a nightmare! Looking at the possibility of buying a different scanner now because it won't calibrate and there is no longer a "quick scan" option

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Just upgraded to Neat 5....:mad: Don't do it....it's a nightmare! Looking at the possibility of buying a different scanner now because it won't calibrate and there is no longer a "quick scan" option

Instead of going with a new scanner why not just uninstall the software and reload from the disc? Disable automatic updates and just decline any future updates, you will be back at square one again.

Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Tomorrow is just your future yesterday.....

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
hmm never used this scanner, I was looking into buying a portable scanner for in the truck and while walking around in Office Depot I seen they have a xerox travel scanner on sale for half price the original price was $199 they had it on clearance for $99 :cool: I love it and would buy another in a heart beat :D

In case your interested it was this scanner
Travel Scanner 100

Maybe if you look around you could find another for that price!

The only thing I didn't like was the software the came with it, so I just installed the drivers and set it to save each page as a JPEG and then use the trans-flow now to send in the paperwork!

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
What is the need for a scanner? Would love to hear the pluses of making the investment myself?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

1: scan and save copies of load paperwork electronically.
2: be able to send paperwork to carrier in the event they "misplace" the original.
3: less storage space than that needed for hard copies.
4: the IRS accepts neat receipt scans as originals for tax purposes. Faded or disappearing ink receipts could cause issues if audited.

There are more but those would be enough to convince me to buy another one.

Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Tomorrow is just your future yesterday.....