My truck was abandoned

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
My truck got left at who knows where because I don't a QC or anything on it, and it's got my trailer hooked to it. All I know to do is wait and see if someone will call me to come get it. The fella already told me he trashed it. He stepped up on my front door step today. He left the truck sitting somewhere, he won't tell me, said he turned the refer off with the chickens in it, and trashed the truck. Then he caught a flight home. He said he was just tired of the road. I just gave him a bonus last week. My dad said he'd go get it, but as bad as he said it was trashed I might have to carry a wrecker up there. He told me he dropped a duece on the sleeper floor and poured oil on my new suede seats. I hadn't planned on putting a driver in it, but I had to when I had to leave the road.

Can I press charges for Grand Theft on this guy, and tell him I'll drop them if he tells me where my truck is and pays for the damages?

Benzoid

Seasoned Expediter
I would press charges and hope your insurance is good.

Really sorry to hear about that! I would also call Dave Nemo's show and maybe a couple of other XM hosts to get the word out.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
My truck got left at who knows where because I don't a QC or anything on it, and it's got my trailer hooked to it. All I know to do is wait and see if someone will call me to come get it. The fella already told me he trashed it. He stepped up on my front door step today. He left the truck sitting somewhere, he won't tell me, said he turned the refer off with the chickens in it, and trashed the truck. Then he caught a flight home. He said he was just tired of the road. I just gave him a bonus last week. My dad said he'd go get it, but as bad as he said it was trashed I might have to carry a wrecker up there. He told me he dropped a duece on the sleeper floor and poured oil on my new suede seats. I hadn't planned on putting a driver in it, but I had to when I had to leave the road.

Can I press charges for Grand Theft on this guy, and tell him I'll drop them if he tells me where my truck is and pays for the damages?

I would definatley file Criminal as well as Civil Charges against this P.O.S. As well as putting it on his DAC!! Contact the Shipper and Find Out where and when he Picked up the Load of Chickens and where it was Supposed to go!! What Time he Left and Hopefully he started heading to the Consignee before he Got Stuck on Stupid!! I Know it's a Long shot But Start Checking Truck Stops along that Route and the Cab Companies!! Tired of the Road Huh? Maybe he can get all the rest he Needs With "Bubba" in a Jail Cell!! He just Might Decide to Tell You where he Left it after being in there a Couple of Days!! But I Wouldn't Drop any of the Charges, Maybe reduce some But Not Drop Them!! Sorry to hear of your Problems with this Guy and Good Luck in Finding your Equipment!!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
He*ll yes file charges !!! Post a COMPLETE Discription of the Truck and Trailer with all ID in them so WE can keep and eye open fof...also give us a general location of the last shipper...

Then a name a address for the POS driver would be nice...6-8 other drivers showing up on HIS door step may make an impression that he needs to let you know where your truck is....:mad:.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Why was he able to "walk" off your porch? You should have immediately called the police while he was in the area.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If he walked to your porch, your truck is likely closer than you think. First thing is report it stolen. You probably have a uphill battle on charging this driver with vehicle theft since you let him drive it. More than likely is will be misuse of a auto, and that depends on your state laws. You can certainly go after him for civil charges. Now whether you are able to collect is another matter. Winning a judgement and having the money in your hands aren't necessarily the same thing.
As for the load, that should be covered with your load insurance. What course they go to collect could go many ways.
Good luck on what sounds like a mess.
I'm not sure why the guy trashed your truck just because he wanted out. Almost seems like there is something missing to this story.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
People are just terrible sometimes.
My grandparents owned 5 rental houses and I remember helping them clean them after the tenants moved out. The houses were usually left in terrible shape, holes in doors and walls ruined carpet, beyond being able to be cleaned, drapes and or blinds torn off the walls etc etc etc.
:eek:
Made me realize I never want to be a landlord!!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Absolutely file charges and go for the maximum criminal and civil penalties available. Good luck with it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Report this to the FBI. If your truck was involved in interstate commerce, I believe this would fall under their jurisdiction.

Also a letter to former President Clinton may help. He has a direct line to Tyson.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Please post his name on this forum. In this way nobody will hire this criminal!

guido4475

Not a Member
What kind of truck is it that we are looking for? the planned route? with so many of us out here, spread out as we are, let's all checkout the truckstop we are at and try and find it.As far as the driver goes, nail his balls to the wall.Don't hold nothing back.But as Dave kc has mentioned, And I am thinking as well, why would he do something like that if you were giving him bonuses? Is there more to it?

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't let this guy off the hook for anything - get all the civil and criminal charges placed and let the chips fall where they may. If he actually trashed it and turned the reefer off someone will notice it before long - especially when the chickens start to stink. If this guy is so brazen to tell you this to your face on your front porch, I see no reason to show any mercy at all. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to also consult an attorney or legal aid to see what options you have at this point.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
All the advice is great but we are all missing something - without legal advice, everything is meaningless. I would start with calling the cops and reporting it stolen, not just the rig but the contents seeing he was in control of it and it is your responsibility.

I would ask the officer/detective who takes the report if there is any reason to call the FBI or to have them call the FBI, CYA. Most likely if it is a truck, once it hits the system, they see it anyway.

Then I would find a lawyer if you don't have one, this is to protect you now, if something else happened that he is not telling you (smuggling people or doing property damage).

BUT before you do anything else - DOCUMENT EVERYTHING, time he appeared, what you talked about, how much you have done so far and so on - CYA.

Oh and I would call DAC.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Might be worth a call to your city/county prosecutors office to see what initial path you should go down as well. Gives you a starting point prior to talking to a attorney. If criminal charges are involved, this is who would be pursuing them.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
He was running from Russelville,AR to Dover,DE. I honestly don't know what the deal is. Dave I really don't know what your driving at, but I'm not with holding any information. This guy only wanted to run out west, and would get ****y anytime he had to go east. If the money is east go get. I was paying him 30% of what the ER unit was making. Most t/t drivers around here working on % are making 25%.

The truck is a dark green 1997 Peterbilt chromed out with the mid roof type sleeper. It's pulling a stainless Great Dane 53' Refer trailer. You can mostly smell it from a good distance away.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
Check with OOIDA. They have a service now, where they send out e mail announcements to all their members concerning missing/stolen trucks, etc.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
He was running from Russelville,AR to Dover,DE. I honestly don't know what the deal is. Dave I really don't know what your driving at, but I'm not with holding any information. This guy only wanted to run out west, and would get ****y anytime he had to go east. If the money is east go get. I was paying him 30% of what the ER unit was making. Most t/t drivers around here working on % are making 25%.

The truck is a dark green 1997 Peterbilt chromed out with the mid roof type sleeper. It's pulling a stainless Great Dane 53' Refer trailer. You can mostly smell it from a good distance away.

Here is what I am driving at. How did he get "to your porch"????? As for going east, many won't run out there regardless of the money.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
He pulled up in his personal pick up. One of my friends went and had a little discussion with him. I don't know what was said but the truck is in West Memphis. My Uncle is loaning me a wrecker he has, and my dad and me are to pick it up today. We're leaving in about an hour. A buddy of mine from high school is looking for it and he's is gonna see if it's trashed and call me.