My first D.O.T. Inspection....not good

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
Well, I've been driving a D-unit with the hubby for 6 months or so and I finally had my first D.O.T. inspection! NOT GOOD. We picked up a load in TN to take to TX, we wern't happy about going to TX but had a pretty good week so if we sat over the weekend after dropping on Fri...no big deal. I drove over night and approached a weigh station on I-10 just outside of Houston, TX early in the morning. I waited in the line with all the tractor trailers and couldn't see what was holding them up until I got a little closer. A D.O.T. officer was standing on the scale picking and choosing who he wanted to weigh. He by-passed over 10 tractor trailers in front of me and then told me to pull on the scale, I was nervous! After I weighed he came to the driver's door and said,"Log book--Please"! My heart sank! I was in such a hurry to switch the night before I didn't put myself as driving on the current days log...BIG MISTAKE. After he noticed the log mistake he proceeded to give me the full inspection, inside and out. I had to do an air brake test, show all emergency equiptment, and all the paperwork on the truck as well as my-self/ i.e. shipping papers, medical card etc. I got cited for the log book violation and pulled out of service for 10 hours! There goes the saftey rating!! Word to the wise....don't slack on the logs...as soon as you do....your busted!
PS: Why do the D.O.T officers have to be so RUDE???!!!

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I am gona do you a favor,

CAUSE YOU VIOLATED YOUR COMMITTMENT AS A DRIVER and its his job (DOT officer)to BUST us for doing what you failed to do and you made his job and judgement easy by failing to get your paper work completed properly. He was right you were in the wrong.

Now with that said I know your feeling slighted, and upset but you know the RULES, dot your I's and cross your T's as this is what is gona get your but in more trouble than bad brakes.

I am not picking on you but warning other newbees TAKE CARE OF THAT PAPER WORK BEFORE PULLING AWAY FROM THAT DOCK.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Like Broompilot sez, the DOT guy is just doing his job.
(Good to see you've made it back, Broom!!)

I got waved over on I-95 in Joizy Wednesday morning. After going over all of my paperwork and doing a Level 2 inspection, the officer asked if I wanted to have him do an under-truck inspection so I could get a windshield sticker!?! I said "no thanx" as I am planning on having the windshields replaced at the end of the month and it would be a waste of a sticker. He said drive safely and have a nice day.

The bottom line is this, Lisa, YOU are responsible for maintaining YOUR log to the last change of duty status. The runs I make may have as many as 6 drops in 1 day. The first thing I do before pulling out of a drop is get my log current.

If you search some of the archived posts you will find threads that cover what the scale officers are going to want to look at when you get waved over. Check them out and next time you will likely breeze through the inspection.

Rex

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
Believe me I've been beating myself up all day about it. I have always been someone who has to learn everything the hard way, this was no exception. Since I help my husband with the logs I got him in the bad habit of writing everything down on a notepad while I was sleeping, then I would log it for him as soon as I got up. Then I caught myself doing the same thing; easier to quickly scribble it down on a notepad and log it later than get out the ruler etc. Well, I learned my lesson! The notepad is already in the trash! Hubby will have to learn to log when I am asleep! My mom and step-father are also drivers, locally, and they said I should count my lucky stars because the D.O.T. officer could of been a lot harder on me with the inspection.

Bottom Line: Lesson Learned

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sorry to hear of your bad time, Lisa, and it's good that you understand that you were in the wrong, & won't let it happen again, because we have probably all made a mistake sometime.
Now I'm going to swim against the current, and say that the officer was doing his job correctly when he inspected you, and when he put you out of service, too - but no professional needs to be rude to do their job!

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
If you did not witness the conversation then your response is merely subjective in nature.

I was at a photo shoot inside of a church's fellowship hall and I told somebody's young child to close the cabinet door beneath the sink and stay away from there.

The boy's mother only heard the "Stay from there" portion of the statement. She replied, "Who do you think you are telling my son what to do."

I tried in vain to explain that her child was getting into the cabinet and there were several dangerous household chemicals stored in that area. She continued on and on, saying, "I heard what you said to him." I thought to myself, "OK lady, the next time I just let him drink the drain cleaner."

She considered my comment to be rude BECAUSE she did not hear the entire conversation.

It has been my experience in observing law enforcement officers who have enforced the rule of law that the person who receives the citation often feels that the officer was too strict, stern or yes, even rude.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oh, I dunno. I've had both very polite, and very rude, experiences with DOT officers, as well as customs officials. They did their jobs equally well in all cases - the only difference is how rude they chose to be on that particular day. I just make it a point to be sure all my ducks are in a row, all the time, that way they can do or say whatever they want, and I can sit back and find them amusing regardless of which tactic they pick that day.

Being in a van, I don't log or scale on a regular basis, so, it's particularly gratifying (and amusing) when I'm carrying HAZMAT to have them do the "get tough" thing with me, only to find nothing wrong. :)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Lisa... I'm assuming you're teaming with your husband when this happened. Question: Did he shut the truck down for ten hours?

Question 2: Were your logs complete for the day prior? If so, he was supposed to give you time to complete the log for the CURRENT day, thus you would've not been placed out of service. I'll post it so there's no confusion. We've been thru that dilema before.

§ 395.13 Drivers declared out of service.

(a) Authority to declare drivers out of service. Every special agent of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (as defined in appendix B to this subchapter) is authorized to declare a driver out of service and to notify the motor carrier of that declaration, upon finding at the time and place of examination that the driver has violated the out of service criteria as set forth in paragraph (b) of this section.

(b) Out of service criteria. (1) No driver shall drive after being on duty in excess of the maximum periods permitted by this part.

(2) No driver required to maintain a record of duty status under § 395.8 or § 395.15 of this part shall fail to have a record of duty status current on the day of examination and for the prior seven consecutive days.

(3) Exception. A driver failing only to have possession of a record of duty status current on the day of examination and the prior day, but has completed records of duty status up to that time (previous 6 days), will be given the opportunity to make the duty status record current.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had always known the rule to be "current to the last change of duty status." Maybe that wording changed with the overhaul.

This is a case where CB info may have helped. When you're approaching a scale, just ask what they're doing and someone will tell you they're checking log books. That approach is common in many states. The CB is also useful to know when a rest area inspection is taking place. I know, it means listening to the over-population of morons that seem to inhabit the airwaves. But it's worth it to keep from having a problem.

In my 15 years of T/T driving I can honestly say I never encountered a DOT officer that was rude. I did get inspected by some that were much more "all business" than others. Could it be that his demeanor came off as rude as you were reading the OOS ticket?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Star, he can still give you a ticket, but he has to allow you time to catch up, IF you have yesterday's log completed.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
It is just a good habit before you move update the logs. We have also found the DOT officers here and in Canada to be professional and we also treat them as professionals. Some do seem to be a little over zealous in doing there jobs though. Just keep everything in good shape and the dash clean sure seems to help.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
lisalewis said, "Bottom Line: Lesson Learned."

If that's the case, no one need say anything further. Congratulations on successfully dealing with a negative situation. The long term result counts more than a single incident of that nature. It sounds o me like you are in good shape. As time passes, the significance of a single log book violation will fade. The benefits of full compliance will accrue. Don't let it get you down. Because of how you reacted to the violation, you are a better driver than you were before; and one who is sharing a positive example that will benefit others.

For newbies reading this who have no prior truck driving experince, note that several mindset adjustments are required when you move into trucking. Logging how you spend every minute of every day, and keeping your log book current by updating it several times a day is different and more important than keeping a Franklin Planner or Day Timer. A Day Timer error may mean a missed appointment. A log book error may mean a missed delivery and a degraded record.

While regulatory compliance in trucking is easier than that of some white collar professions, the number and nature of the inspections and inspectors are quite different from what you may be used to.

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
To clear things up:

Ok, I was inspected around 9 a.m. on the 18th. I did have part of the log done for the 17th but it was not signed, added up, and my status was still in sleeper position--2 p.m. So, he said that day doesn't count and on my citation it states last log complete was on the 16th so I was pulled out of service for 10 hours. I was about at the end of my drive time anyway. He checked the hubby's log...his was almost finished for the 17th (just wasn't signed or added) but he told him to pull up and catch it up so he could drive.

When I asked why some D.O.T. have to be so rude is because of how he talked to me. I watched him by-pass SEVERAL tractor-trailer drivers, all male, and then he put his hands over his eyes to block out the sun to see who was driving our truck and pointed to the scale. Now I am not playing the "poor me I'm a female card" but at the begining of the inspection he went to the back of the truck and made a motion with his hands--like slapping his fists together--I had no idea that means tap the brakes. I am 26 years old and six months ago I only knew how to drive an automatic car so these hand signals are news to me. So, frustrated, he comes to the drivers door and says, "Miss, do you understand that when I am at the rear of the truck you have to watch me so I can check your lights!" I explained that I did not understand his signals and he wrote someting down on his notepad and proceeded to explain every hand signal as if I were a five year old. He went back to the rear of the truck and continued his signals. After my husband witnessed our conversation he said, "what a jerk". His way of explaining things continued through the rest of the inspection, I was humiliated. I tried to make conversation to explain to him that I was new at this but he just stared at me with no response so I didn't push the subject and continued with the, "yes sir's".

*During anyone else's inspection did they have you show them where the windshild wiper knob was, or where certain gauges were? Not what the gauges should read but their physical location? Or did he just think I was that big of an idiot?

I respect the D.O.T. and understand that their job is more stressful than I can imagine. I did not want any special treatment because I was a female but I wonder if he would of talked to my husband the same way if he was driving? He didn't know the hand signals either. I was in the wrong with the logs and he was in the right to give me the citation--that's their job.

I just hope he didn't file me under the "stupid young women shouldn't drive comerical vechicles" category. And if he did than so be it.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I agree. Better to chalk it up to experience, and not take it personal. He could've pulled you over cause he's a pig. More than likely because you have a straight truck, and they're easier to inspect. Use what you've learned for the next time you're pulled in, cause you will be pulled in again. Try to be confident and not be nervous, and everything should run like clockwork. :)

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
I have ben behind the wheel for three DOT inspections, one in LA and the other two in TX. I will admitthe first one in TX was an experience. Luckily, Tod was looking into the rearview and explained to me what to do. Lisa you would have loved the second one in LA. The officer was "in training". I loved it! .I just kinda led him through by asking him if he wanted to see this and that and if he wanted me to this or that next. We laughed when it was over, he thanked me and I was on my way.:)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wow Lisa what a inspection. I have been through two level one inspections and never been treated that way or had those hand signals. I have just rolled the window down and they yelled at me. I am sure I would have been read the riot act also for not having a clue about what he was talking about! They do seem to like to keep us on our toes!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>More than likely because you have a straight truck, and
>they're easier to inspect.

I've heard this many times including once from a DOT guy inspecting my truck. As others have said, the important thing is you've learned things that will be valuable to you when you eventually get the next inspection.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
Lisa Be glad it wasn't in Calif.. I heard those log tickets were $2100.00 at one time. Current article on Mich. trucker getting prison time for logs make it clear why those DOT types are out here. Imagine what some would try to do or get away with. No reason for rudeness When he realized your newness , he should have taken more time and explained what he wanted. Maybe the previous driver he dealt with was a jerk.. I use to say Hey I"m a virgin at this, please be gentle" no tickets yet The old saying of "log it as you do it and how you do it". Thanks for sharing your story We all need to be reminded

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
WHOA.. Wait a minute...yes, Lisa made a mistake and it can be turned into a good learning experience. But we also need to address something that needs addressed,and that is law enforcement officials who over step the bounds of courtesy, propriety, and respect, as this officer did. I certainly have had more than my share of dealings with people like this DOT officer that Lisa alludes to. Way to many of these officers love to throw their weight around, and abuse and victimize civilians who are guilty of very minor violations. These people know that hiding behind a badge, a gun and a uniform gives them tremendous legal and psychological power over civilians. I would submit to the forum this thought: Fundamentally the vast majority of these men know that they are cowards, that when the chips are down they will fold under pressure. To compensate for this, and to hide this terrible truth from themselves, they gravitate to law enforcement and para military law enforcement organizations. This gives them the illusion that they are "tough" and the more that they can bully civilians, the "tougher" they are in their own eyes.
Since nine eleven, and the "war on terror" this kind of mentality has burgeoned. Last year, I watched a DOT inspection by 2 young officers. Their Barney Fife appearance made me want to laugh at them...sunglasses, dark uniforms, cargo pockets, trousers bloused over boots etc. Two years ago I made a wrong turn in a POV and ended up somehow on the NSA compound. As I had changed addresses 2 weeks before, the clerk at the PennDot lisence center told me to keep both
my new lisence and the old one with my old address in case I got stopped and the computer and paperwork did not catch up to each other.
He even punched a hole in the old one to invalidate it. Of course this explanation meant absolutely nothing to Der Hitlerjugend officer. He pulled me over and I had to wait an hour while he waited for his supervisor, an older man who appeared to be (like me) in his late 50's fat, bald, not exactly your local terrorist looking suspect. The young Hitlerjugend officer of course was decked out in his Barney Fife gear...dark uniform, cargo pockets, bloused trousers etc. However on his uniform he wore a number of "expert pistol shooter" badges...
To old military service veterans like myself these people are nothing more than wannabes, who are beneath contempt. Question to all of these types...if you're so tough... why aren't you in Iraq?????
Lisa, cheer up. I know exaactly what you went through and what you're feeling.

Regards
Doowop

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Lisa, you'll live thru it. Shoulda did er right in the first place and you wouldn't have had to go thru the "watch my lips" routine. Bottom line is YOU will never forget this lesson. Now, what else don't you know about Truck'in that you better start paying attention to. It is really and truly about more than slamming a couple/few skids on a truck, and aiming it down the road. You could have been in a crash with a bad log book and gotten the pee pee slapped real hard. My $.02