My 2015 Ford Transit Experience

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Some people clearly like them. Ford announced today they are adding 1200 workers for a second shift.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was just informed by a 20 year veteran of Fedex Express....Fedex will not be buying the Transit....they are staying with the Sprinter.... now this is just Rumor now...so take it whats it is worth The headlight assembly is a sealed unit....to change the bulb you'll need to buy the whole unit....cost....$450.00 So if you are buying one or have one....let us know the real story...

guido4475

Not a Member
I was just informed by a 20 year veteran of Fedex Express....Fedex will not be buying the Transit....they are staying with the Sprinter.... now this is just Rumor now...so take it whats it is worth The headlight assembly is a sealed unit....to change the bulb you'll need to buy the whole unit....cost....$450.00 So if you are buying one or have one....let us know the real story...

From what I have heard also, from my internal contacts at Freightliner......(lmao, not really) The headlight assembly is kinda the same way, only it is the marker light bulb or daytime running light that is irreplaceable and the whole unit has to be replaced to replace that bulb....speculation, of course...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
From what I have heard also, from my internal contacts at Freightliner......(lmao, not really) The headlight assembly is kinda the same way, only it is the marker light bulb or daytime running light that is irreplaceable and the whole unit has to be replaced to replace that bulb....speculation, of course...

rumor at this point....anyone can set the record straight?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So far, the only large fleet that has ordered the Transit is Charter Communications, with a little more than 800 units of the low roof, standard wheelbase vans. They really don't need the high roof, and they'll get about 75% more cargo room and better fuel mileage.

As for the $450 headlights, that doesn't make sense. If they were xenon bulbs, maybe, since those would last years, but the Fords have halogen bulbs which won't last very long in most commercial operations.

Incidentally, Ford had already recalled about 2000 of these vans for brake fluid leaking and slide door issues. About 1400 for the brake issue and about 600 because the doors were assembled without the epoxy reinforcements.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
This is why you dont buy the first year model of any vehicle out there. Let others go through the hassle.

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have owned a Transit the diesel since Aug.4 Right now it has 29,800km ! no problems what so ever the fuel mileage is as good as 8.5/l 100km empty and under a full load of 3000 lbs I got 9.7 on the highway. so its holding up to lots and lots of use and long trips and being a great vehicle for the purposes of work. so far.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have owned a Transit the diesel since Aug.4 Right now it has 29,800km ! no problems what so ever the fuel mileage is as good as 8.5/l 100km empty and under a full load of 3000 lbs I got 9.7 on the highway. so its holding up to lots and lots of use and long trips and being a great vehicle for the purposes of work. so far.

Trying to figure out your post on fuel mileage.. 8.5 pr 9.7 doesn't make since to me.. Now I might be looking at this wrong, can someone help me out

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seen the long and tall Transit and I've got
to say it's sweet. Seen the overhang it doesn't look that bad, hell it looks like the Sprinter has just as much.

Maybe the end of next year I might pull the trigger on one.

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
Aint got much choice in my situation. The old sprinter s bout to puke the engine. The bosses boss ( His wife....a very smart lady) Gave us full permission to pull the trigger on a 2015 Ford Transit. .. This one is gonna be fully loaded ( e trac , insulated , and espar heater