My 2015 Ford Transit Experience

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
U
You are awful confident in a vehicle that is not even proven itself past 200,000...we will see...also...21 mpg. Seems odd....

Sent from my SM-G900V using EO Forums mobile app

I have every fuel receipt from day one including the odometer reading when the gas was put in. My very first tank of gas was over 19 miles per gallon and it has steadily increased ever so slightly until 10 thousand miles when I changed to Mobil 1 full synthetic and it jumped more than 10%. If anyone doubts that I have averaged more than 21 miles per gallon for last twelve thousand miles all I ask is for them put their money where their mouth is and I'll meet up with them and prove it!

Those drivers that report 17 miles per gallon must be driving floorboard to floorboard with both pedals and going at 75 miles an hour. They will also be the ones to report early engine failures, transmission failures, and brakes burning up coincidentally. I own my truck and I pay for my own fuel! I drive like there are eggs taped to the pedals. I Drive 61 to 64 miles per hour and I draft whenever I can. NO idling. I keep the vehicle maintained meticulously including having the tires full of air to the side wall specs.

I have the proof. I am sorry you don't believe me but that's the facts.

I actually expect the Promaster's and Transit's both to have early transmission problems... not unlike the $printers did!

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The difference is, one is cumulative miles and gallons at the end of the vehicle's life, and the other is highway mileage only.
I do both! I get a snapshot of my fuel mileage for that particular trip/tank and data for the life of the vehicle.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yup! I just did. :)

BTW, the last Mercedes shop I was in with a $printer was $154 an hour TWO years ago... the oil change was $240. I changed my Promaster's oil Monday at Walmart with Mobil One full synthetic for $43 TOTAL. Shop prices the same? NONSENSE!!!

V 6 Penstar had horrible head problems when first out, not sure how long ago that was. I like what someone said " ltalian van by chrysler made in Mexico, what could possibly go wrong"? LOL. I will take a serious look though. I like the ladder frame chasis. As a structural engineer in the Navy, it seems to make sense to me.:D

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Do you think the Transit will come with the Sprinter "Rust acceleration" package????...lol..

Thanks! I saw those heavily rusted Sprinters and was wondering how they designed that to happen.:D

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The problems with the Chrysler pentastar v6 were only in the first batch of the 2011's that went into the caravans. Shouldn't be an issue, it's a good engine as is the six speed tranny that mates to it.

It remains to be seen however how it will hold up under constant heavy load over time.

Last edited:

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dunno...Maybe the Ford package on the Pinto or the Dodge package on the Colt...lol.

Don't know much about the Colt but had a Pinto that had over 175k whrn I sold it, our son has a Cobalt. The worst I have seen for rust was a Chevy Vega in Hawaii. I had a 53 Chevy in Guam that had to be at least 25 % plus Bondo.:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't know much about the Colt but had a Pinto that had over 175k whrn I sold it, our son has a Cobalt. The worst I have seen for rust was a Chevy Vega in Hawaii. I had a 53 Chevy in Guam that had to be at least 25 % plus Bondo.:D

forgot about about the Vega....then there was a "Pony" as well....

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dunno...Maybe the Ford package on the Pinto or the Dodge package on the Colt...lol.

The tinworm is a horrible beast. Killed several of my favorite vehicles over the years, including my beloved 1994 E250. That van had 307K on it when I got rid of it. The engine (a 351) ran like a Swiss watch, as did the transmission. Buyer junked it after pulling the drivetrain for a racing Maverick :eek:

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I like the Ford Transit. I like the Promaster also. I hope they do good and put some pressure on Mercedes so I can buy myself a cheaper Sprinter.

Now why do I say this?

1. I couldn't care less that there are more Ford dealers than Mercedes. My sprinter has visited a dealership twice in 625000 miles.
2. I couldn't care less that Ford or Dodge charges less per hour than Mercedes for the same reason as above.
3. There is a good reason why Mercedes Sprinters have been number 1 in Europe for years, where the competition is fierce, not like here.

My Sprinter cost me less then 3 pennies per mile in maintenance, including tires. Fuel mileage? I am afraid to mention it since I might be accused of lying. The more I drive it the better it gets. Heck, I'll say it anyway. Gallons used in 2014 divided by miles driven gives me 27.21 miles per gallon, and I have receipts to prove it. Mpg over 625000 miles is 26.24.

So, why would I try my luck with another unproven brand? I can see myself owning a Transit even though it has too many buttons for my taste. Too much of a transformer look inside for my liking. But Promaster? Never. Too darn ugly.

Btw, I am not looking down at the people that buy Transits and Promasters. I hope they serve you at least as good as my Sprinter served me.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Gallons used in 2014 divided by miles driven gives me 27.21 miles per gallon, and I have receipts to prove it. Mpg over 625000 miles is 26.24.
Just don't expect that kind of mileage with a long one. :D

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Just don't expect that kind of mileage with a long one. :D

I agree, and then I subtract some more for the dpf. :thumbdown:
But still, the new 4 cylinder gets pretty good fuel mileage based on what I hear from other expediters. Remains to be seen if it is just as reliable as our 5 bangers.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm broken down right now. It's awesome.

The heater hose above the engine, near the hot water heater valve, they're is a non - standard plastic "T" connector in the hose. A couple or three years ago we couldn't get the correct length of hose so the mechanic went with two hoses and the connector. The part of the connector that one of the hoses clamps over snapped off inside the hose. Is a team easy fix, if I can find a connector.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wasn't the correct part, was it? Didn't wait six weeks for it to come from Germany, didja? Your breakdown is Daimler Karma :rolleyes: . Good luck; hope you get moving soon :)

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm broken down right now. It's awesome.

The heater hose above the engine, near the hot water heater valve, they're is a non - standard plastic "T" connector in the hose. A couple or three years ago we couldn't get the correct length of hose so the mechanic went with two hoses and the connector. The part of the connector that one of the hoses clamps over snapped off inside the hose. Is a team easy fix, if I can find a connector.

Sorry to hear that Turtle, hope you get it fix soon. You have a replacement coming......but it's a Ford.

DRIFT BUS & SUPER VAN in one Ford Transit V8 part…: DRIFT BUS & SUPER VAN in one Ford Transit V8 parts 2 - YouTube