My 2015 Ford Transit Experience

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
What are the important specs?

We looked at mpg first & foremost... the Promaster being substantially shorter height & being lighter, with a more efficient drive train has to deliver better mpg... and we are seeing others report the same. My Promaster is delivering a consistent 21+ mpg on regular gasoline. I have all the reciepts from day one to prove it.

The cargo floor is 160" long which is, in my opinion, just about the shortest length we could possibly fit 3 skids and all the proper gear to make our drivers comfortable... which is important to retain great drivers.

The ceiling is just tall enough (76" inside) to insulate with inpenatrable 4" insulation and plywood while still allowing a 6' person to stand. Ford has more height in the Jumbo Transit, which we don't need.

We buy Promasters at invoice that is thousands and thousands less than a $printer, but I do not know how Ford dealers are marking up theirs.

We are now ordering our Promasters with the air ride drivers seat, which we know will save our drivers backs over time. When ordered with the air ride drivers seat, the passenger seat is automatically deleted, making perfect space for a small kitchen, including a real RV refrigerator/freezer, microwave, and storage that is securely and permantly affixed to the truck. None of this has to be moved or adjusted in order to load 3 skids, saving our drivers grief and equipment abuse.

Most importantly, our drivers cruise through the McDonald's drive throughs while Jumbo Transit drivers are walking! ;)

You will be happy with your handsome Transit, but we will make more money and probably be more comfortable in our Promasters. As long as we are "guaranteeing" things, I guarantee that! :)

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
We looked at mpg first & foremost... the Promaster being substantially shorter height & being lighter, with a more efficient drive train has to deliver better mpg... and we are seeing others report the same. My Promaster is delivering a consistent 21+ mpg on regular gasoline. I have all the reciepts from day one to prove it.

The cargo floor is 160" long which is, in my opinion, just about the shortest length we could possibly fit 3 skids and all the proper gear to make our drivers comfortable... which is important to retain great drivers.

The ceiling is just tall enough (76" inside) to insulate with inpenatrable 4" insulation and plywood while still allowing a 6' person to stand. Ford has more height in the Jumbo Transit, which we don't need.

We buy Promasters at invoice that is thousands and thousands less than a $printer, but I do not know how Ford dealers are marking up theirs.

We are now ordering our Promasters with the air ride drivers seat, which we know will save our drivers backs over time. When ordered with the air ride drivers seat, the passenger seat is automatically deleted, making perfect space for a small kitchen, including a real RV refrigerator/freezer, microwave, and storage that is securely and permantly affixed to the truck. None of this has to be moved or adjusted in order to load 3 skids, saving our drivers grief and equipment abuse.

Most importantly, our drivers cruise through the McDonald's drive throughs while Jumbo Transit drivers are walking! ;)

You will be happy with your handsome Transit, but we will make more money and probably be more comfortable in our Promasters. As long as we are "guaranteeing" things, I guarantee that! :)

Getting out and walking into a restaurant isn't such a bad thing, you know..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Will you? Really?....Can you guarantee the life span of your van over the other?.....will it stand the test of time?....will the parts go the distance?....do you know the Tranny life expectancy over the other?...how about the engines....life expectancy?....What is your PM schedule compared to the Fords?...most shops are pretty much the same labour wise...just saying...there seems to be a lot of speculation without facts flowing...

AND the Transit was out for years in Europe and didn't make the top 3 vans over there with Sprinter being #1...

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Will you? Really?....Can you guarantee the life span of your van over the other?.....will it stand the test of time?....will the parts go the distance?....do you know the Tranny life expectancy over the other?...how about the engines....life expectancy?....What is your PM schedule compared to the Fords?...most shops are pretty much the same labour wise...just saying...there seems to be a lot of speculation without facts flowing...

AND the Transit was out for years in Europe and didn't make the top 3 vans over there with Sprinter being #1...

Yup! I just did. :)

BTW, the last Mercedes shop I was in with a $printer was $154 an hour TWO years ago... the oil change was $240. I changed my Promaster's oil Monday at Walmart with Mobil One full synthetic for $43 TOTAL. Shop prices the same? NONSENSE!!!

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I spoke with half a dozen pm drivers only one has claimed to be getting over 17mpg and he said he drives under 60 mph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yup! I just did. :)

BTW, the last Mercedes shop I was in with a $printer was $154 an hour TWO years ago... the oil change was $240. I changed my Promaster's oil Monday at Walmart with Mobil One full synthetic for $43 TOTAL. Shop prices the same? NONSENSE!!!

big difference pal...you comparing Walmart to a Mercedes dealer?....LMAO sweet Lord!!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I spoke with half a dozen pm drivers only one has claimed to be getting over 17mpg and he said he drives under 60 mph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

Tell me when you are at the shop next. I have the reciepts with me. I'll put $5,000 on this one. Got the cash big boy?

I drive one myself... a 159" wb extended 3500. Anyone that is willing to put up cash can call me a liar... temporarily.

Last edited:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Tell me when you are at the shop next. I have the reciepts with me. I'll put $5,000 on this one. Got the cash big boy?

I drive one myself... a 159" wb extended 3500. Anyone that is willing to put up cash can call me a liar... temporarily.

I KNOW Promasters...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I forgot to mention... my Ram dealer shop rate is $89 an hour.

still like comparing apples and oranges...
Last Dodge dealer I was in in NC was $105

wonder how much for a Jaguar oil change?....at a Jag dealer....or take it to Walmart....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Really tho...I hope both vans work out well no matter what someones personal preferences are....:) basically that is what it comes down to...the creature comforts.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Promaster is delivering a consistent 21+ mpg on regular gasoline. I have all the reciepts from day one to prove it.

Tell me when you are at the shop next. I have the reciepts with me.

Twice you have stated that you have the receipts to prove your mpg claim. Can one infer from this that you are actually calculating your mpg based on fill to fill and not data from an on-board computer?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is like the Canadian calling the Michigander...

When you drive the best, you hate someone saying something that just isn't true... so I've got money where my mouth is!

claiming the "best" is mostly opinion...I happen to think Sprinters are the best...I haven't driven a PM or Transit....and even a test drive is not a good test...so my statement is a Moot point isn't it?...after all we live in these things...and it always comes down to personal likes and dislikes....I've had mixed reviews with Fords in my 63 years....same with GM's....I happen to love big block Chyrco's ...:)