Multiple Carrier Cargo Van, Sprinter, Box Truck Drivers

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Hey all,

I currently run for 4 different carriers, I am getting great miles, fight for good rates and my bills are getting paid every month. I sometimes wonder how I stack up against others doing the same thing. You ever wonder that? I hear lots of numbers all over the board at truck stops but I think that numbers from those of us on EO may be a bit more credible.

I am not going to ask you to list the carriers you run for or give away any big secrets. I am interested in putting together averages for us multi-carrier drivers and I will share that info after I get the numbers put together. Would you take a minute and answer the following questions? You can either post here in the forum or send me a PM. Let's just look at the numbers for that last 3 months or so.

What type of vehicle do you drive?
How many carriers do you run for?
How many miles do you average a month?
What is your average rate per mile?
How many miles of dead head are you averaging?
How often do you get home?
How many days a month do you spend out of service?
Are you happy doing what you do?

I will run the numbers for the whole group, top and bottom 20% and break it down by type of vehicle. I think it would be helpful for all of us to see where we stand. I think I am going to start a thread in the Carrier Forum as well so all of us Multi-Carrier drivers can have a place to share what is working and what is not.

See ya out there!

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
1. What type of vehicle do you drive? Straight Truck

2. How many carriers do you run for? We are currently in partnership with 135 Carriers/Brokers

3. How many miles do you average a month? 4500 average by choice.

4. What is your average rate per mile? 1.72

5. How many miles of dead head are you averaging? 0, we always calculate all miles. Drop to pick up to drop to pick up and so on.

6. How often do you get home? Whenever we want.

7. How many days a month do you spend out of service? That’s a tough one; we book and run ourselves so we do not think in that term.

8. Are you happy doing what you do? A flat yes is the best choice, but I/we get antsy for new challenges and while this (trucking) has been interesting I/we are less content to give only to one adventure in life. Happy? On a scale of 1 to 10…. 6.9 and sliding down.

NOW I have a question. We do not disclose our location to any of the partnerships we move loads for and obviously do not sit about our day waiting for a phone call or a beep offering a load. So what is your method you use to inform your partners you are empty and available for a load?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I ran for 5 carriers last year and I made 24 thousand dollars in 3 months! I worked from April to July and ran the wheels off of the truck. I was getting anywhere from 80 to 88 cents to 90 cents per mile at that time. I was able to take home about 14k of the 24k that I made. I chose to end the year early in order to start up my own company and to make up for the time when I spent 18 months straight on the road. I am seeing my aging cat every day, my family, and a lot of friends that I lost contact with over that 18 month period of time.

Now my driver is leased on with 4 companies plus my company. We are averaging about 6 thousand miles a month and her average rate per mile right now is around 90 cents per mile. Deadhead is probably about 10 percent and she is in a cargo van. I get her about 4 loads a month for well over a dollar a mile - because I am the carrier - and she gets the rest from the other 4 companies. My driver does not go home as she is from Oregon. She is always available and ready to run a load at least until December when she will take the winter off and I will probably re-assume control of the van. I hope this helps.

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the replies. Lugnut was really looking for drivers of vehicles under 10,000 gvw but am glad things are rockin for ya. Thanks Blizzard and those of you sending pm's.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Is $1.72 all miles or loaded?
All miles as indicated in answer to Q #5.

Thanks for the replies. Lugnut was really looking for drivers of vehicles under 10,000 gvw but am glad things are rockin for ya. Thanks Blizzard and those of you sending pm's.
My apologies for thinking a box truck could be a straight truck box. Now sing along….A box is a box is a box, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a box of course that is, of course, unless the box is the famous straight truck box.

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
My apologies for thinking a box truck could be a straight truck box. Now sing along….A box is a box is a box, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a box of course that is, of course, unless the box is the famous straight truck box.

Wow, I think you have a gift for writing songs! :cool:

guido4475

Not a Member
Okay, here is my question: I also have a friend leased on with several smaller carriers at once also.A load comes up, and then, BOOM! 3 or 4 calls from all his leased carriers, asking him if he wants them to bid on the load.Sure, he says.So, with all of this in mind, all 3 or 4 carriers bidding on the same load, off of the same load board, wouldn't he, in a sense, be selling himself out to the lowest bidder? I don't see the advantage in that at all.And his rates are nothing to brag about, either, actually, pretty low.No paid tolls,extras,incentives, etc, and he pays the Primary insurance on top of that, which we all know is not cheap.So, where is the advantage? Why not be leased onto one good paying carrier? My average pay, all miles, comes in at around $1.02.For a van.And then there is trying to get the $$$$$ for the loads run...I don't see the advantage at all.Am I wrong in thinking this way?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I agree with you Guido. I am leased to one carrier and my all miles rate so far this year is $1.58.
That's 92% of what lugnut1 posted. I'll let my carrier handle the billing and insurance while I collect the discounts on fuel and purchases and concentrate on running the loads they find for me.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Okay, here is my question: I also have a friend leased on with several smaller carriers at once also.A load comes up, and then, BOOM! 3 or 4 calls from all his leased carriers, asking him if he wants them to bid on the load.Sure, he says.So, with all of this in mind, all 3 or 4 carriers bidding on the same load, off of the same load board, wouldn't he, in a sense, be selling himself out to the lowest bidder? I don't see the advantage in that at all.And his rates are nothing to brag about, either, actually, pretty low.No paid tolls,extras,incentives, etc, and he pays the Primary insurance on top of that, which we all know is not cheap.So, where is the advantage? Why not be leased onto one good paying carrier? My average pay, all miles, comes in at around $1.02.For a van.And then there is trying to get the $$$$$ for the loads run...I don't see the advantage at all.Am I wrong in thinking this way?

Based on the info you supplied about your friend and yourself and then your question, “Am I wrong in thinking this way? “; I would say you are not wrong in your thinking.

You used the word “advantage” in your comments and that may best describe the real focus to why your friend is not running out and trying to get hired on with one of those “good paying carriers” you cited.

What would be the advantage for me to work for Load1? Money, my tolls paid? How about those extras and incentives? What if Load1 was to be sold, would I then lose my advantages as a LoadOner?

For us the advantage over your position is complete independence of obligation to a particular company. Am I wrong in thinking this way? Some on EO will say both you and your friend are wrong for thinking the way you do. I think those persons work for FedX and LEA.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with you Guido. I am leased to one carrier and my all miles rate so far this year is $1.58.
That's 92% of what lugnut1 posted. I'll let my carrier handle the billing and insurance while I collect the discounts on fuel and purchases and concentrate on running the loads they find for me.

Our business objectives are not like yours. Our objectives are more relaxed than yours and do not focus on money as priority one, we choose to keep up with no one and be told by no one we have to. Your efforts sound a typical of what is expected of an expedite trucker and you should be proud of your accomplishments. Those who aspire to your position need to pay attention to what you recommend they should to do to reach their money goals in expediting.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Lugnut , you speak to the aspect of not being money driven and the independence of not leasing to one carrier. I am often refered to as a "vacation" expediter..and i least to one carrier...i go out of servic e whenever i want to for whatever reasoni want to..be it to enjoy 3-6 margaritas or 3 Jamesons..or to site see along rt 66 (hey i grewup listening to the song and watching "kookie" comb his hair)...so my independence is no different then yours..yes those with the "big carriers" that have 13 units on every corner pay a proce for that, but not me....

I like you i am sure have a "nut" be it a "Lug" or just a certain amount that i strive for each month (there are cost involved to run any business) and i as well as you are aware of what i need , but beyond that, its all grave....Guido and i least to the same carrier, but my pay per mile numbers are a bit higher then his for whatever reason...but the fact is i am only about $.40 cent and change less per mile average then you, in a large van with considerable expenses based on the type of vehcile only then you and with as Guido said, Letting the carrier take care of the business end and not waiting to be paid at all...

I know people that run for mulitple carriers and do well, but when to compare the miles they run and the pay per mile and the added expense for me to let Load 1 take care of the "business" end, i am still ahead f their game...

Is there a right way and a wrong way to do this business? Not thjat i can see, but when i tell you or you tell me that "this is how to do it"...thats where it becomes wrong..we each have different wants and needs for whatever it is we do..and no 2 individuals will ever be the same...

BUT..Guido and myself, don't have to "fight" for our good rates", our carrier won't even ask us to run for what some consoder a "good rate"....

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was running for two carriers but gave that up, now I'm running for the carrier I started with. Running for two actually created problems, not least of which was the concern that carrier #2 seemed not to have proper--or any-- authorities. It occurred to me that getting pulled over while running freight for them could be a problem. I also help a friend with some construction projects, and that helps a bit.

guido4475

Not a Member
Based on the info you supplied about your friend and yourself and then your question, “Am I wrong in thinking this way? “; I would say you are not wrong in your thinking.

You used the word “advantage” in your comments and that may best describe the real focus to why your friend is not running out and trying to get hired on with one of those “good paying carriers” you cited.

What would be the advantage for me to work for Load1? Money, my tolls paid? How about those extras and incentives? What if Load1 was to be sold, would I then lose my advantages as a LoadOner?

For us the advantage over your position is complete independence of obligation to a particular company. Am I wrong in thinking this way? Some on EO will say both you and your friend are wrong for thinking the way you do. I think those persons work for FedX and LEA.

I hear ya, but I don't think John or Load One is going anywhere, except up and forward.So that is not a concern or worry of mine.One example of being leased onto several small companies where getting paid may be a problem is Landshark.I wonder how many o/o's are owed money from them? Will they ever see it? Who knows.But can many afford to take the hit and not get paid? Obligation or not,to one particular carrier, if it works and a person, or several people can make a good living doing it this way,Than I think there is nothing wrong with that, either.I guess it is all about whatever works best for that person, while feeling comfortable doing it that way also.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
As is said often on this forum. Everyone's goals, needs and wants are different. Being happy is what matters.

guido4475

Not a Member
Lugnut , you speak to the aspect of not being money driven and the independence of not leasing to one carrier. I am often refered to as a "vacation" expediter..and i least to one carrier...i go out of servic e whenever i want to for whatever reasoni want to..be it to enjoy 3-6 margaritas or 3 Jamesons..or to site see along rt 66 (hey i grewup listening to the song and watching "kookie" comb his hair)...so my independence is no different then yours..yes those with the "big carriers" that have 13 units on every corner pay a proce for that, but not me....

I like you i am sure have a "nut" be it a "Lug" or just a certain amount that i strive for each month (there are cost involved to run any business) and i as well as you are aware of what i need , but beyond that, its all grave....Guido and i least to the same carrier, but my pay per mile numbers are a bit higher then his for whatever reason...but the fact is i am only about $.40 cent and change less per mile average then you, in a large van with considerable expenses based on the type of vehcile only then you and with as Guido said, Letting the carrier take care of the business end and not waiting to be paid at all...

I know people that run for mulitple carriers and do well, but when to compare the miles they run and the pay per mile and the added expense for me to let Load 1 take care of the "business" end, i am still ahead f their game...

Is there a right way and a wrong way to do this business? Not thjat i can see, but when i tell you or you tell me that "this is how to do it"...thats where it becomes wrong..we each have different wants and needs for whatever it is we do..and no 2 individuals will ever be the same...

BUT..Guido and myself, don't have to "fight" for our good rates", our carrier won't even ask us to run for what some consoder a "good rate"....

The number I posted was all miles, empty and loaded combined.I think you make more than me, based on the height, length, and weight that you can haul versus me.You are more versatile than I in many ways.The only advantage I have over you is a paid for vehicle, but I am sure my maintenance costs are higher than yours, being an older vehicle, unless I happen to get tangled up in plastic.....lol...

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter

It all depends how your friend runs his business. If he has multiple calls on the same load, he has 2 options, only allow one carrier to bid on each load or have them all bid the same rate to the truck. Then it is not a lot a lowest bidder situation. If he wants money for tolls and extras, he needs to tell the carriers he is working with to include that in the bid. Increased liability insurance and cargo insurance increased my bill by $72.00 a month. As for pay, I have one carrier that any load picked up by Sunday is paid on Wednesday, one carrier that any load delivered by Monday pays on Friday, one carrier takes two weeks and one carrier pays same day it's delivered. So waiting for pay is not an issue.

You asked what the advantage is and there are a few. Multiple eyes looking for loads. Different carriers with different relationships with different shippers and brokers gives me a greater opportunity for loads. No matter where I deliver, I am first out with at least a couple carriers. Personally, I enjoy having options and dont have to worry about being sent to the bottom of the list if I turn down a load, which I do a lot. No qualcomm fees, no workers comp, no stickers.

There have been many threads debating all this back and forth. I guess I was overly optimistic hoping that this thread wouldn't be overtaken by the one carrier crowd :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There have been many threads debating all this back and forth. I guess I was overly optimistic hoping that this thread wouldn't be overtaken by the one carrier crowd :)
Amazing isn't it? The questions asked in the Topic Post seemed so straightforward, simple, easy, well defined and unambiguous - numbers from people who are doing the same thing you are doing. One would think that those who aren't running for multiple carriers would have no answers at all to your questions, since, you know, they wouldn't be part of the group the topic deals with, and would respect you and the topic of the thread by not hijacking it to a different topic. But noooooo.

Getting honest answers to these questions, and then getting the compiled results, would be of great benefit to all, multiple and single carrier folks alike. It would be nice if this could get back on topic.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Looks like I am one of the guilty hijackers.
Please accept my apology for my actions.