Mother's fury at school sending boy, six, to psychiatric ward after he drew video-gam

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Mail

A mother has criticised school authorities for committing her six-year-old son to a psychiatric ward against her wishes because of a picture he drew in class.

Jack Dorman was pulled out of his elementary school classroom after he sketched a drawing of zombies and stick figures and wrote that he wanted to die.
But the boy’s furious mother, Syndi, said her son was simply upset that his soldier father was being deployed to Iraq

She said the way Los Angeles school officials treated her son ’was right up there with my worst nightmare.’
Mrs Dorman added: ‘They said they were concerned about a picture he drew. I said he plays video games and it’s a picture from a video game.'

She claims Jack suffers from separation anxiety and was particularly upset on the day he drew the disturbing picture after learning his father, an Army commander, was leaving for Iraq on Thursday.
‘I explained to them what was happening, that my husband was being deployed to Iraq, that he was upset when he came to school today, that he wanted to be at home,’ she said.

‘I’m saying, "I will deal with it, that we have a therapist and that we’ll make sure he’s seen today".’
‘They said it was out of my hands. They said they were in control and they could do this and had already called an ambulance.
‘I said, "Can you do this?" and they’re like, "Yeah", Mrs Dorman said in an interview with NBC. ‘I’m just like, "What? Can I get a lawyer? How is this happening?".'

Education chiefs in San Pedro, California, were alerted on Monday after a teacher became worried about Jack’s drawing. The principal at Taper Avenue Elementary called a Los Angeles County psychiatric mobile response team.
They determined that the boy needed to be taken by ambulance to the local Del Amico Hospital in Torrance and immediately be committed to a 72-hour psychiatric hold

Mrs Dorman said the ambulance ride was terrifying for her son, who was already seeing a therapist because he became anxious when he was separated from his family.
‘I was trying to reassure him that it would be okay and he asked if I’d come back for him and I said of course I am going to come back for you,’ added Mrs Dorman.

Jack was released after 48 hours, but his mother fears the ordeal has traumatised her son.
‘My son doesn’t want to go back to school. He’s afraid they are going to take him away again,’ she said.
However, as a result of the incident, Mrs Dorman was able to contact officials at her husband’s military training centre and he was able to delay his tour of duty.

‘He will be able to come home and see him for a few days. He’ll be able to reassure Jack that everything is okay,’ she told the local Daily Breeze newspaper.

In a statement, Los Angeles Unified School District Superintendent Ramon Cortines insisted his staff took the appropriate action.
‘We did the right thing here,’ he said. ‘I can unequivocally state that correct procedures and protocols were followed, including contacting the parents and accessing community resources such as the Los Angeles County Psychiatric Mobile Response Team.
‘When any student indicates a desire to take his or her own life, the LAUSD is required to follow strict protocols to ensure the safety of the student. The safety of LAUSD students is paramount,’ he added

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Re: Mother's fury at school sending boy, six, to psychiatric ward after he drew video

Several disturbing things about this. One, the family already has a therapist because their SIX YEAR OLD has separation anxiety. OMG.

Second, her name is Syndi. How cute. <barf> It's no wonder they have a family therapist.

Third, I understand that most people in LA are crazy, but Los Angeles County has a Psychiatric Mobile Response Team?

Forth, this kid has no shot at a normal life. Butter him up. He's already toast. Anyone wanna take wagers on whether or not this kid is already being medicated?

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Re: Mother's fury at school sending boy, six, to psychiatric ward after he drew video

I think the most disturbing part for me was the way the school handled this. If the boy was in his teens maybe, but 6 years old - appalling IMO.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

I think the most disturbing part for me was the way the school handled this. If the boy was in his teens maybe, but 6 years old - appalling IMO.
Oh, that's just the normal everyday overreacting to stuff. Kid hints that he wants to kill himself, and if the school didn't do anything about it and he actually did kill himself, the school would be sued for negligence or some crap like that.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Third, I understand that most people in LA are crazy, but Los Angeles County has a Psychiatric Mobile Response Team?

Wasn't LA county the place they did the pilot programs for the suicide hot lines when the economy was going into the crapper? Something like a 300% increase in volunteers and professions have been installed throughout the state to help people to coup with their losses either of their home or the Oscars.

Medicated? No doubt, most likely he has a bunch of mind altering drugs prescribe to him by his family PC.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I'd like to see that picture, myself....When my kids were six, they watched The Muppets - wonder if a drawing of 'Animal' would rate the same reaction?
The bit that struck me was that the child's father will be coming home for a few days to reassure him, [but the father will just have to leave again], as if the Dad's responsibility is less important than the child's passing fancy. :eek:
Oh, and how the child 'doesn't want to go to school anymore' - like that'll never happen again!
It just boggles the mind, that we put greater restrictions on people who want to fish, than those who want to raise children.:rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Many children of military people who are deploying are having problems. It is very hard on kids, they really don't understand why the parent is leaving. My nephew's son had a hard time. He was lucky with a lot of extended family to help. Lots of older men to them him under their wings. Not all kids are that lucky.

Brisco

Expert Expediter

Do a google search for either Jack Dorman, the kid, or for Syndi Dorman, the mother, and see how many different versions of this story you will find.

Story posted above came from the "The Huffington Posts" version of what happened. Very Very Very embellished.

Kid is 8 years old, not 6. Mother was called first. Mother told school he was unhappy that day and wanted to stay home, she made him go to school anyway. Mother did go to the school and did ride with kid to hospital. School followed proper procedures, etc, etc, etc.

My biggest problem with the whole ordeal is an 8 year old seeing a "Therapist". (and of course the SENSATIONALISM that has come from the Huffington Post over this simple story) Proper parenting will cure any so-called "anxiety" problems an 8 year old MIGHT have better than any Therapist ever could.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter

Do a google search for either Jack Dorman, the kid, or for Syndi Dorman, the mother, and see how many different versions of this story you will find.

Story posted above came from the "The Huffington Posts" version of what happened. Very Very Very embellished.

Kid is 8 years old, not 6. Mother was called first. Mother told school he was unhappy that day and wanted to stay home, she made him go to school anyway. Mother did go to the school and did ride with kid to hospital. School followed proper procedures, etc, etc, etc.

My biggest problem with the whole ordeal is an 8 year old seeing a "Therapist". (and of course the SENSATIONALISM that has come from the Huffington Post over this simple story) Proper parenting will cure any so-called "anxiety" problems an 8 year old MIGHT have better than any Therapist ever could.

This report is actually quite close to the interview, with the mother, that I saw on the TV News.

The mother said that her son was 6 years old, that the school contacted authorities first and, not that I see it in this report, that her son was strapped down in the ambulance.

As for him being afraid to go to school - I would be too if that had happened to me at 6 years old.

As for panic/anxiety attacks in children - I think you would need to see that happen to a child before you should comment.