Missing the Point on Speed limiters

babs3361

Expert Expediter
I have read most posts on the speed limiter post and am sorry if I missed one that got to the real point and am repeating what they may have said. Speed limiters are a infringement on our civil rights. It is making us as a sector of a population do something that the rest of the population does not have to do. The true speed limiters should be the speed limit signs themselves and law inforcement should inforce them. Also this is a violation of NAFTA because in the states we do not, nor do we want speed limiters on our trucks. It is a violation of commerce. While each state has a right to set their own speed limits it is not the right of any government to put a mechanical devise on any equipment to allow One sector of the population a disadvantage over another. I have no problem with a owner of a company to put speed limiters on their equipment that is their own business decision. At what point are we going to stop government from infringing on our god given rights. This is not a safety issue this is a control issue. If it were a safety issue all vehicles would have them. A truck going 55 mph, 65 mph or 75 mph hits a small vehicle they are going to be just as dead, and most of the time it is caused by the actions of the smaller vehicle. Putting speed limiters on trucks will not stop this. Only education of the population on how to drive around large equipment will. We will always have Human error and bad judgement you can not fix that and that is why we have accidents. I also agree with one of the posts that taking a tool away for me that can make me more safe does not make any since. I will stake my record on this 30 yrs driving T/T no tickets no accidents. I'm not bragging either, I thank God for being my pilot and keeping me safe.

termite289

Expert Expediter
unfortunately, as Canada is a foreign country, they are not bound by our constitution. when we go to Canada, we are guests, and should have acted as such. they have decided this will either slow down the trucks to the speed limit, or generate revenue for their economy. or create more jobs for Canadians, as American drivers, at least a percentage of us will stop running Canada because of it. if we stop going, there is more freight for their citizens. You don't get to start screaming how it isn't fair, because they obviously aren't interested in what we think. if their plants cant get the stuff they need after a while of this, and a shortage of drivers, they may change it back, but im not counting on it.
I have an rfid chipped fast card in the cab of my truck that will probably never be used. because i have other customers who want their freight on time. so choose, and stop with the it isn't fair, or a violation of this or that. the law will probably create a whole new cross border group or two that will base its self in Michigan, and upstate ny who will build terminals, and invite customs to their facility's to inspect cargo as it is swapped from fast truck to slow truck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
unfortunately, as Canada is a foreign country, they are not bound by our constitution. when we go to Canada, we are guests, and should have acted as such. they have decided this will either slow down the trucks to the speed limit, or generate revenue for their economy. or create more jobs for Canadians, as American drivers, at least a percentage of us will stop running Canada because of it. if we stop going, there is more freight for their citizens. You don't get to start screaming how it isn't fair, because they obviously aren't interested in what we think. if their plants cant get the stuff they need after a while of this, and a shortage of drivers, they may change it back, but im not counting on it.
I have an rfid chipped fast card in the cab of my truck that will probably never be used. because i have other customers who want their freight on time. so choose, and stop with the it isn't fair, or a violation of this or that. the law will probably create a whole new cross border group or two that will base its self in Michigan, and upstate ny who will build terminals, and invite customs to their facility's to inspect cargo as it is swapped from fast truck to slow truck.

And when the US mandates the "Black Box" recording devices that being discussed now....? Who is the unfair one?

And when FMCSA decided to change the HOS did the Canadians have a chose? NO....Solos are stuck with these silly rules...
And when the changing of the clocks...Congress passed. Was Canada involved? I doubt it..Again the US got its way....I could go on about the high handedness of the American government over smaller countries...but I digress....

You are a commercial vehicle and have no such rights....commerce and anything to do with commerce is regulated to the hilt....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is NOT just the U.S. Government OR the Canadian Government. It is government, period. THEY ALL SUCK!! VOTE THE SCUM OUT!! IN 2010 AND BEYOND. It may be WAY too late for those "lefties" up in Canada and if we don't do something here, now, it will be too late for us and we too will be "subjects" just as Canada and the rest of the world is. Ruled.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Speed limiters are a infringement on our civil rights.

Barb,
I don't mean any disrespect but you and I work in a regulated industry, it is one of the only industries that has something to do with a constitutional mandate that the feds regulate interstate commerce.

The real unfortunate thing is we never had the right to drive, even cars and being in a regulated industry, we have few rights than if this was a car going down the road.

To top all of that off, this is another country, which is not like us nor wants to be like us. This is something others have made a big deal out of but fail to understand it is another country and we have to respect their laws. I lived too far long in an area where Canada is thought as an extension of the US and even my foreign built van, my Dodge Caravan is considered a US built vehicle. When these idiots go to Windsor, they forget to respect their laws and cry when they get into trouble.

Speed limiters have nothing to do with rights but contracts and carriers do. If you drive for FedEx and have been told to set the limiter on your truck well then you have to, it is a contractual obligation to follow their rules. As Teamcaffee has mentioned, if you don't like it, go somewhere else.WG trucks from what I gather have been the only one's to be told they have to and as far as I am concern, FedEx should stick to one policy whandich makes everyone one of those WG straight trucks have the limited set.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even if it does come to pass in the U.S., it's no more a violation of our civil rights than any other regulation we have to follow. Laws that limit how much we can work, having to get physical examinations, drug testing policies, random vehicle inspections...

I guess I'm being redundant after Greg's post. The other thing is, all the threads in the world aren't going to change anything! Comply or don't go to the Great White North. Pretty simple...

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Random drug testing IS a violation of our Constitutional rights. It violates our rights to a presumption of innocence AND search and seizer without due cause or a warrent. We just don't fight it. AS a GROUP we should but we will NEVER get the industry to stand up and say enough is enough. I also believe that a National speed limit is a violation of States rights. The Federal government, at least in my opinion, has not the LEGAL authority to set speed laws in individual states.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The thing about drug testing, it really has been a success. Not a complete success, but compared to the way things were prior to testing, the industry has been cleaned up quite a bit. I wish there were a better way to do it. It certainly is an imposition on decent people. But, that's the same with the other impositions we have in this business. HOS is a huge hassle. I'd rather sleep when I want to instead of when some Poindexter behind a desk says I need to.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
The government has a fix for human error:eek: Brain washing:D I do not believe that the government should enforce the use of speedlimiters - it is over steeping there bounderies!! All I can say is the great folks of Canada have a different government system and they must not mind all the restrictions. Or else there would of been a HUGH out cry, so much so that they would of never got the bill pasted. And to all the US drivers you have to remember you are a guest in there country so you must abide by all of there laws when you are there - no matter how stupid they are. If you don't like there laws stay out of there country. Do I think it will ever happen here?? Oh yes if we keep getting people like the Messiah in office it will surly happen sooner than latter:(

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
And when the US mandates the "Black Box" recording devices that being discussed now....? Who is the unfair one?

And when FMCSA decided to change the HOS did the Canadians have a chose? NO....Solos are stuck with these silly rules...
And when the changing of the clocks...Congress passed. Was Canada involved? I doubt it..Again the US got its way....I could go on about the high handedness of the American government over smaller countries...but I digress....

You are a commercial vehicle and have no such rights....commerce and anything to do with commerce is regulated to the hilt....

Well, if Canada wanted to be a super power, all they had to do was kick Germany's arse at Dunkirk, and spell shop with out an e, and color without a u. Geez!:D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is there any PROOF that illegal drug testing has cleaned up our industry? Even if there is, is the loss of freedom and our Rights worth it? If there is, should not ALL those who work in professions have to test as well? Like doctors? Like the President? Think that is silly? His finger is on a button that can kill hundreds of millions and he has a history of drug use. WHY, if this works is he NOT being tested. IT is WRONG and unconstitutional. PERIOD!! :mad:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I shy away from the dark side so we are not attuned to such things, but this thread leads me to wonder; how much of an unlicensed, underground freight-transport market exists or can be expected to exist as this neverending stream of regulations lands on on licensed and legally-compliant owner-operators and carriers?

What might trucks, drivers and the highways look like if people decide to simply ignore the regs and run underground?

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The more silly regs and laws the bigger that problem will become, Phil. Just look at drug laws and prohibition. Black markets cigarettes and guns. Government oppression causes crime everytime. HEY!! That rhymes!!

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Diane and I shy away from the dark side so we are not attuned to such things, but this thread leads me to wonder; how much of an unlicensed, underground freight-transport market exists or can be expected to exist as this neverending stream of regulations lands on on licensed and legally-compliant owner-operators and carriers?

What might trucks, drivers and the highways look like if people decide to simply ignore the regs and run underground?

i think most of the market that the hotshot pick-up towing stuff is just for the reson they are not as heavily regulated

i have see a gooseneck trailer with 4 of those wire basket coverered square drums that had the lables all turned to the inside you could not make out what the lables said but you could clearly see the jolly roger, the trailer nor truck had any hazmat placecards.i admit there maybe something that you might mark with a posion symbol that might not be hazmat but cn't think of anything that might be

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I say it's been successful, I'm just basing that on my own observations. I started trucking in '76, well before drug testing and I just don't see drivers looking "pilled up" anymore. At the very least, it's not the common sight that it used to be. I do agree that it's an unreasonable search without just cause.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not relavent Greg. No one forces me to buy guns but they do an illegal search of my backround everytime. The fact is that they are doing everything they can do circumvent the Constitution, period. Your choice of professions or hobies does NOT give the Government the authroity to take away our Rights. We are letting them control us. It is OUR responsibility to take back our power or lose it all. What about a drug test for every driver? Just by sheer numbers 4 wheelers cause more accidents and kill more people than truckers do. ANY loss of Rights is wrong. Why are we soooo ready to just accept it?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
i think most of the market that the hotshot pick-up towing stuff is just for the reson they are not as heavily regulated

i have see a gooseneck trailer with 4 of those wire basket coverered square drums that had the lables all turned to the inside you could not make out what the lables said but you could clearly see the jolly roger, the trailer nor truck had any hazmat placecards.i admit there maybe something that you might mark with a posion symbol that might not be hazmat but cn't think of anything that might be

Those hot shots taking those 3-4-or 5 pallets....when they are done they rip off the cardboard signs and they can DH anywhere they want and not log.....

babs3361

Expert Expediter
Barb,
I don't mean any disrespect but you and I work in a regulated industry, it is one of the only industries that has something to do with a constitutional mandate that the feds regulate interstate commerce.

The real unfortunate thing is we never had the right to drive, even cars and being in a regulated industry, we have few rights than if this was a car going down the road.

To top all of that off, this is another country, which is not like us nor wants to be like us. This is something others have made a big deal out of but fail to understand it is another country and we have to respect their laws. I lived too far long in an area where Canada is thought as an extension of the US and even my foreign built van, my Dodge Caravan is considered a US built vehicle. When these idiots go to Windsor, they forget to respect their laws and cry when they get into trouble.

Speed limiters have nothing to do with rights but contracts and carriers do. If you drive for FedEx and have been told to set the limiter on your truck well then you have to, it is a contractual obligation to follow their rules. As Teamcaffee has mentioned, if you don't like it, go somewhere else.WG trucks from what I gather have been the only one's to be told they have to and as far as I am concern, FedEx should stick to one policy whandich makes everyone one of those WG straight trucks have the limited set.

I understand that this is another country, and I don't drive for FedX and if they told me I had to put a speed limiter on my truck I would be contacting a attorney for them trying to make me an employee. I also live in Michigan and Canada has always been an extension but when is enough, enough I use to fish in Canada no longer even go to Canada Refuse to spend any money there. But this is not a regulation this an infringement on our rights and the NAFTA agreement.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't see how it is impeding commerce? They are not slowing you down....its still above the legal limit....you'd have a weak case if you are going to argue that you want to go faster then the legal limit.....

You may have a case for employer/employee relationship....
Depends how the judge sees it....are they forcing you to limit your truck? OR is it now a condition of your service contract? AND if you don't like those conditions...change carriers....