Missing the Point on Speed limiters

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I too have stopped buying a Canadian fishing licecense do the border garbage going on on the river.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
NO LOL!! For some reason the Canadian Coast Guard has been coming into Michigan waters on Lake Erie and the Detroit River and harrasing fishermen and hunters in US waters. I have no idea what is going on with our Coast Guard is up too or what else is going on else where. I know two friends of mine who were borded by Canadians in US waters. One was a really threating 16 foot boat!!

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
As I have said before (sorry to repeat myself) most people do not know what the last amendment to the Constitution is:

Truck Drivers NONE of the above applies!:rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
True, but ONLY because WE allow them to get away with it!! WE have to power but do not use it. Just shut the roads down and see what happens.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Layout, I understand about the drug testing but in fact it has caught a lot of people and more so a lot of people who tried to cheat or refused the test are no longer in the trucking world. It comes down to their lack of ethics which goes to their ablity to be professional and safe as far as I am concern.

Irregardless, this is the only thing that is federally regulated by our constitution and like it or not we have rules to follow. DO you think I liked peeing in the cup every quarter for a year straight for the Fed? no way, but I knew a refusal is the end of my driving career and it wasn't random.

I would like to be a lawyer but there is no consitutuional regulation barring me from that. I can't take the path of Lincohn because the lawyers have it all tied up, 4 years of an approved school and the bar to legally practice. So why isn't anyone complaining about that? does that make any sense?

I understand that this is another country, and I don't drive for FedX and if they told me I had to put a speed limiter on my truck I would be contacting a attorney for them trying to make me an employee. I also live in Michigan and Canada has always been an extension but when is enough, enough I use to fish in Canada no longer even go to Canada Refuse to spend any money there. But this is not a regulation this an infringement on our rights and the NAFTA agreement.

If you are contracted with a carrier, then there should be a clause in your contract that simply states you will follow the regulations. There is no exceptions to this, and you are not an employee when they enforce the law. If you are an independent, it is even clear than they, your permission to operate means you follow the regulations, no gray area there. If a lawyer takes the case on the basis of being a violaiton of rights, he/she should be disbarred. You may think you have a right to drive but the last time I looked it wasn't in the consistution.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Illegal backround checks have caught a few criminals so that loss of our rights is ok too? NO, we have Rights or we don't.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Illegal backround checks have caught a few criminals so that loss of our rights is ok too? NO, we have Rights or we don't.

I'm confused....

So I get stopped by the cops, they ask me for my ID and I give it to them. They are checking me out because of my crappy car in the middle of a bunch of million dollar homes in Wabeek and then they hand me the stuff back and tell me to go.

Is that an illegal check?

Or this?

I go to purchase another Glock 19 and go to my cop shop. They do a back ground check on me to make sure I am not a felon or a mental case needing professional help like a pelosi supporter. I have a five day waiting period while my finger prints go through the system to see if my fingers were involved in a crime and then I go back to get my purchase permit.

Now the one thing that I think is happening is a return of states rights, so this will become a moot point. There is a push to get back into court to overturn the court case that caused the feds to step into the states like they do. IF this does happen, the 1968 giun control law may have to go.

babs3361

Expert Expediter
Greg: As a Independent Contractor a Company can't make you take a load you do not want to take. They can't make you go to a country you do not want to go to, and last I new In this country we have no laws for speed limiters. And in this country we have the right to go 70 mph in many states. No Driving is not a right it is a priveledge and one I take very seriously. Speed limiters are not a regulation it is a device to set a vehicle to a certain speed. They already have a law that regulates speed that is the speed limit, and it is up to law inforcement to inforce it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The backround check when buying a gun ASSUMES guilt. They have NO right to check. I AM INNOCENT of everything until PROVEN in a court of law that I am not. I think that is the 5th Amendment is is not? Or do I have the Amendment wrong?

Why not do a backround check on everyone that buys a bottle of booze? Drunk drivers kill far more in this country than gun owners do. SO, if protecting the people is the reason they are going after the wrong bunch.

Why not a backround check when someone buys a car?

What is the difference? Give up a little and they will take it all.

Why not a criminal backround check for presidential candidates? They have the potential to kill more than anyone.

The Federal government has NO legal authority to question me when I choose to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights.

Why not do a backround check when people register to vote? Why do we not fingerprint voters to insure only one vote?

It will never end if we allow it to go on.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There was a time, long, long ago, when the right to drive was an actual right, meaning, it was a right that had not yet been taken away from us. You didn't have to have a driver's license or anything like that. But that all ended in July of 1913 when the state of New Jersey became the first to require all drivers to pass a mandatory examination before receiving a license, and thus turned the right-to-drive into a privilege, a privilege replete with whatever requirements the State sees fit, including age limits, sobriety limits, and, if they so choose, speed limiters.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Barb, FedEx does have the right to issue policy, FedEx (as your insurer when loaded) does have the right to protect itself and it's customers freight from delay's due to non compliant trucks being fined in Canada, it has a right to protect it's operating rights in Ontario (the CVOR) from being damaged. FedEx as a "customer" of yours has a right to ask you for a specific service (the ability to cross the border and haul legally).

As a business provider you have the right to stop serving your customer (FedEx). You have a business relationship and your customer is asking for something. Provide it, or risk losing the customer, it's a business decision by both parties.

FedEx says I can only run 700 miles, is there a law that says this? No, it is a policy and if it enrages me enough I have the choice to move on to another carrier. I have to have a Medical, do I need this in my home country, nope. Does FedEx require it, yep. Do I comply if FedEx wants me too? Yep, or I go somewhere else.

It's a dumb law for sure, but FedEx is just protecting it's business and it's customers, pretty smart in a dwindling freight market with an oversupply of trucks don't ya think?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am not arguing FedEx or what they choose. If I decide that I don't like it I will leave. My choice. Not a good choice but mine.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You're right Joe, you and I both hate the law and the stupidity behind it.

FedEx's decision and how it affects their contractors is an entirely different matter, and to me, how they are proceeding is well within their rights and duties as a business.

How the individual contractor responds, that's up to them.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I drive a tractor with a wheelbase longer than 244 inches.By Ontario law,I can't do Ontario pulling ,my 53 foot trailer.So with this dumb law,why would you think the speed limiters in Ontario would make anymore sence.I very seldom run over 60 mph here in the states,and if I were in Canada,the way I drive my truck would be the same.If the Canadians don't have the ability to control their drivers with out putting speed limiters on the vehicles,shame on them.
A few years back,the 53' trailers were loosing wheels,that's how the wheelbase law came to pass.Oh and there is also a maximum length law for TT's of 75 feet.Most of the large sleeper trucks aren't even legal with the shorter 48' trailers.This is already a problem with the FDCC W/G trucks.
If you actually want to see a shutdown,the black boxes will do it here in the lower 48.
What we will get is the governmnt telling us we can pull longer trailers,57',then up the total weight to 90000 lbs,you will get this for putting in a black box.
I was perfectly happy with my 45 foot trailer,and 73280 national weight.I do enjoy not having to drive a cab over truck,hard to stay under 60' with a long nose tractor.

Saturnista

Seasoned Expediter
Canada infringed upon us by mandating Daytime Running lights on cars. Automotive manufactures decided it was generally cheaper to make all of their vehicles with DRL's, so next thing we have DRL's. Not that they are always a bad thing, but sometimes i'd like to be able to turn off the lights.

Sometimes what Canada insists upon has a trickle down effect and effects us all, even when it shouldn't. If Canada goes nationwide speed limited, I fear it may only be a matter of time before a few truck companies just start making a "certified for everyone truck". Lets hope not.

Maybe canada should worry about regulating the cars too. But then my 2012 XYZ cookie cutter automobile would be speed limited even though I'm a US resident...

:mad:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Canada infringed upon us by mandating Daytime Running lights on cars. Automotive manufactures decided it was generally cheaper to make all of their vehicles with DRL's, so next thing we have DRL's. Not that they are always a bad thing, but sometimes i'd like to be able to turn off the lights.

Sometimes what Canada insists upon has a trickle down effect and effects us all, even when it shouldn't. If Canada goes nationwide speed limited, I fear it may only be a matter of time before a few truck companies just start making a "certified for everyone truck". Lets hope not.

Maybe canada should worry about regulating the cars too. But then my 2012 XYZ cookie cutter automobile would be speed limited even though I'm a US resident...

:mad:

Wanna go tit for tat?

And when the US mandates the "Black Box" recording devices that being discussed now....? Who is the unfair one?

And when FMCSA decided to change the HOS did the Canadians have a chose? NO....Solos are stuck with these silly rules...
And when the changing of the clocks...Congress passed. Was Canada involved? I doubt it..Again the US got its way.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wanna go tit for tat?

And when the US mandates the "Black Box" recording devices that being discussed now....? Who is the unfair one?

And when FMCSA decided to change the HOS did the Canadians have a chose? NO....Solos are stuck with these silly rules...
And when the changing of the clocks...Congress passed. Was Canada involved? I doubt it..Again the US got its way.

TitforTat, is that a new snack food?

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Wanna go tit for tat?

Nobody is making Canadians run in the US, if they don't want to follow the HOS rules they can just run in Canada. Its the same with the speed limiters, if you don't want to limit your truck then don't run in Canada

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
TitforTat, is that a new snack food?

kinda like tofu....point ,more outstanding....

Spudhead....Exactly.....

Its more a fedex WG issue anyhow....personally..I'd tell the Feds the truck is limited and refuse every Canada load, whos to know the dif....the numbers support that decision....