Michigan front lic.plate for straight truck

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Have been questioned a few times @ Port of entrys, and weigh stations about our trucks lack of a plate (Michigan) on the front bumper. We obviously have one displayed on the rear of truck. truck owner was told by someone @secretary of state that only one lic.plate was to be issued for our truck. While in Vegas I saw a S/T with a Michigan "apportioned" lic plate on front of their truck. For some reason I never asked the driver about this, perhaps the 104 degree temp. outside curbed my enthusiasm ? Anyone have accurate knowledge on this ? Truck is class 8 DR unit. Thanks..could call SOS, but not in mood to go through phone menu maze.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
In Missouri our license plate is required to be on the front of the truck.

We have been questioned about this twice and in both instances we told the officer in Missouri the plate is required to be on the front of the truck and that was the end of the conversation.

Your state dictates where the plate needs to be located.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
The plate was on the front if my truck when I got it, so I've kept it there. Finnaly got tired of being told it supost to be on back, so I moved it to the rear. A DOT officer said a tractor pulling a trailer, the plate goes on front. A truck with a box, plate goes on rear. This is in Michigan, in my home state of TN plate goes on front.

Sent from my DROID X2

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Check with your state as we believed that as well a straight truck the tag goes on the back and that was not true for our state.

The law was very specific when registering a truck that the plate be placed by the weight of the truck not the type of truck.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Michigan requires the plate on the rear and it MUST have a light shinning on it at night. I don't know about tractors

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
That is the funny part of the laws is that we have to have our plate on the front but the tag light has to be working on the rear of the truck.

When we had our Flying Pig the plate tag illuminated the purple pig.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Five years now we have only had a front plate and have never been questioned.
I thought about having a plate made up for the rear
" Please see front ", but that falls under "why tempt fate" catagory.:D

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Five years now we have only had a front plate and have never been questioned.
I thought about having a plate made up for the rear
" Please see front ", but that falls under "why tempt fate" catagory.:D

They would probably cart you off to prison for 12 years for several counts of forgery.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
OK..will stick with the rear plate..and answer respectfully when questioned. Thanks for all the replies !

BTW : Canadian's have more than free health care to brag about, don't forget vastly superior domestic beer, Coffee Crisp, Ketchup potato chips, and poutine !!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
SoS, MSP both say on the back. Even tractors are supposed to have them on the back. I think a few states issue two plates and Ontario may also.

Customs has hassled me a few times over the issue and I said when you guys allow me to register the truck with you and you issue the plate, I will be more than happy to put it on the front.

I got the same thing from an Alabama trooper, "son you need that on the front" and I told him to save me the hassle "yes sir but I can't take it off right now, I have nothing to secure it with"

Monty

Expert Expediter
Here is what I got from Michigan .... google knows everything!

Thank you for using the Department of State's web site.
>
>Except for the option to purchase two vanity (personalized) plates,
>Michigan does issue only one plate. The mounting depends on the
>type of vehicle. The legal reference can be found at
>Michigan Legislature - Home The section of law is 257.225.
>
>The following is an excerpt:
>
>257.225 Registration plate; attachment to vehicle; legibility;
>color; distinctive registration plates; name plate, insignia, or
>advertising device prohibited; violation as civil infraction.
>Sec. 225.

(1) A registration plate issued for a vehicle shall be attached to
the rear of the vehicle. Except that a registration plate issued for a truck tractor or road tractor shall be attached to the front of that vehicle
>

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It depends on the state issuing the IRP plate.

The following is from the Michigan Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Quarterly:

Michigan is a participant in the International Registration Plan (IRP) which allows commercial motor vehicles to
operate between states with only one registration plate. As such, Michigan is required to comply with the requirements
of the plan. Officers should remember that not all states require that commercial vehicles display their IRP plates in
accordance with MCL 257.225.

According to the IRP requirements, commercial vehicles are required to display their IRP plates in accordance with law specific to the state in which the plate was issued.

For example, Illinois requires that IRP plates on trucks be displayed on the front of the vehicle as opposed to the rear.
Under the IRP, Michigan is required to honor Illinois law.

I drove a company owned Ford E-350 with an IRP plate on the front and a license plate sized sign on the rear stating IRP Power Unit, plate on front.