mexican trucks in america are a fact.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I can tell you that the ones I met a few years back were paid better than I was and they spoke good english and drove better trucks than I see around here.

Greg
1999 Freightliner FL70
Professional International Traveler

Thats not hard to believe.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Greg said:
Much of what impacts this industry is the lack of political cohesion and more or less a selfishness that prevails above everything else.
And then this.
Regardless how anyone can prove the numbers, it won't impact me or for that matter any one else here. We are in a different part of the market and serve different type of customers. We don't have the Best Buys, the Whirlpool, or GE freight to worry about, and we don't do the Avocado/tomato stuff either.
So... umm... are you part of the problem?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Will it affect expediters? Maybe. It depends on the rate of Mexican trucks that get granted authority to come in.
In the short term, not much will happen.

But........it is another gift from the Obama administration. Actually two presents in a day. Imagine that. Giving the Mexicans 1.3B for border security and letting their trucks operate here.
He is right about one thing. "It will create new American jobs". Bad news is the jobs aren't for Americans.

As for US trucks going into Mexico, good luck with that. Not an insurance on the planet that will insure a US truck going in there.
That doesn't even address all the other issues that one can imagine.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
AND with all of that, not one shred of proof that anyone can offer or point to that supports the speculation that this will destroy the industry.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well Greg, et al, there are M number of loads to be hauled. They either go into a citizen's truck or into a foreigner's truck. Common sense says if you admit a large new group of foreigners that takes away .xxM jobs from the citizens. Common sense won't tell the exact numbers but it certainly tells that this will harm truckers, unless we're going with the same liberal excuse "they're just doing the jobs citizens won't do".

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
greg wrote:

AND with all of that, not one shred of proof that anyone can offer or point to that supports the speculation that this will destroy the industry

I went back and re-read every post, I didn't find anyone that posted that this would DESTROY the industry...I did see words like "disadvantage, affect, harm...but no where DESTROY....hmmm good deflection greg...post things that weren't said to try and make a point that was never brought up or stated to begin with...typical....:rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Then don't be chicken sh!t....go to Mexico...is there any more danger then going to NYC or Detroit?

Most of the plants in Mexico are right off the expressway...it is not like you are out in the middle of no where...

If Pedro runs cheap that won't last long....his truck will need repairs the same as everyone else...

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Sounds like so of the same arguments for nafta, this won't cost US jobs, we see how well that went!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well Greg, et al, there are M number of loads to be hauled. They either go into a citizen's truck or into a foreigner's truck. Common sense says if you admit a large new group of foreigners that takes away .xxM jobs from the citizens. Common sense won't tell the exact numbers but it certainly tells that this will harm truckers, unless we're going with the same liberal excuse "they're just doing the jobs citizens won't do".

Leo,
You don't look much in the cabs of trucks do you.

We have eastern Europeans in cabs of trucks hauling freight here in the US.

We have Indians and Pakistanis in cabs of trucks hauling freight here in the US.

We have Brazilians and Colombians, people from Peru and from Argentina in cabs hauling freight here in the US.

We have Chinese and Aussies in cabs of trucks hauling freight here in the US.

AND we have those Canadians coming here in vans, stealing C unit freight.

So when you say "They either go into a citizen's truck or into a foreigner's truck." who do you think is hauling the stuff now?

It surely isn't all red blooded Americans who live to eat apple pie and drive Chevrolets.

When a truck is hosting a family, READ FAMILY from India, they can work for a lot less than what we expect (like just above cost), where is the outcry to limit their access?

Again ... no one with any thing to back up the claims?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, there are many already. How many jobs have already been lost? How many more will be lost? I'm sorry, I won't write novellas, just the short version. We need to shut the door to outsiders while there aren't enough jobs to go around. We especially need to slam it shut on Mexico.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
greg wrote:

We have eastern Europeans in cabs of trucks hauling freight here in the US.

We have Indians and Pakistanis in cabs of trucks hauling freight here in the US.

We have Brazilians and Colombians, people from Peru and from Argentina in cabs hauling freight here in the US.

We have Chinese and Aussies in cabs of trucks hauling freight here in the US.

Gee..I highly doubt any of them are hauling freight back to their home countries....:rolleyes:

Mexican trucks will be bring freight inti the heartland of our country where they have no been bring it to the border towns...and they will be taking freight that use to go to the border towns from all over our country directly into mexico...kinda hard for all of those foreigners listed above to haul freight our of our country to their home lands...:rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes, there are many already. How many jobs have already been lost? How many more will be lost? I'm sorry, I won't write novellas, just the short version. We need to shut the door to outsiders while there aren't enough jobs to go around. We especially need to slam it shut on Mexico.

How many jobs are lost?

None that I can see. We haven't had massive layoffs due to any right to work issues or foriegners taking over the industry - that's my point.

To be more exact, I don't see the reduction in trucking jobs any time soon, the recruiting of the majors is still going on, we are hearing all kinds of talk about another up and coming driver shortage thanks to the regulatory changes and CSA 2010 while at the same time even in this industry we look like it is growing and people are jumping into it rather haphazardly.

SO if we have another shortage, where would there be a loss in jobs?

Gee..I highly doubt any of them are hauling freight back to their home countries....:rolleyes:

OH now I get it, you are afraid of losing that Laredo freight you haul from the north.

Mexican trucks will be bring freight inti the heartland of our country where they have no been bring it to the border towns...and they will be taking freight that use to go to the border towns from all over our country directly into mexico...kinda hard for all of those foreigners listed above to haul freight our of our country to their home lands...:rolleyes:

Yep kind of hard for them to travel to their home country but your position seems to fall apart because unlike those bad Mexicans who go from say Meritor in Detroit to the GM plant in Ramos Arizpe, they seem to be a bigger threat by living here and driving here as in making a living as an American Trucker - too funny.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, yea I am really worried about losing those trips to Laredo...I have been there once in the last 6 months lol..but the fact is the border town freight is what will get moved by them, but it will go direct instead of through the logistic warehouse in the border towns, so yea there could be a loss of some of that expedite freight.. and as long as they are living here as a legal citizen and driving for an American company. more power to them...

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When in El Paso yesterday was this spankin brand new KW tractor, all decked out....guess what...Mexico plated....and I'll betcha his bills to operate are about the same as anyone.....made the Werner and the Conway look like crap..and ya know a lot of them warehouse workers LIVE in Mexico still and commute across the border...the advantage IMO will be NO cross dock fees and product getting straight there...it could lessen the costs of manufacturing our products and make them more appealing overseas....

simdog20

Seasoned Expediter
Well it comes down to if they are hauling the freight in our country that means we are not. There is no way around it that is lost freight for somebody. Might even be a new job for someone on unemployment now cause available freight could mean more jobs. It might not effect u or me directly but u being effected. Look at the trade deficit with china. Its the same thing. Anything they are making is jobs lost for us. We send them cotton they send us t-shirts. That is lost manufacturing jobs. We can get them back. Haul or own freight in our own country and make our own tshirts.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
The US government spent 4 years and millions of tax payers dollars to get the mexican trucking companies up to speed to run on US roads. There isn't a trucking company out there that wouldn't have great trucks if the feds were paying the bill to fix them and keep them running so hearing about those great trucks is pure bull crap. How will those trucks look when the government stops funding them? And as someone pointed out there will be job losses at the boarder because we wont need all of those brokers to cross boarder. I read a report on OOIDA'S web site the adv mexican trucker makes $0.13 per mile so while the costs as far a fuel and any repairs that are made here << if they have to pay for them are the same costs their driver's cost is nothing. So they can easily under bid that freight.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A lot of parts are made in Mexico that come across to US and Can assembly plants...IF they reduce the cost of them parts....we can export more and compete worldwide...and maybe create some jobs....This is a big world..we can not isolate ourselves and be just a country of consumers like we are...
We lost those jobs overseas because we could not compete on a global scale....