Mexican trucks........again

Dispatcher03

Not a Member
These Mexican carriers are not going to run teams?

It may not affect cargo vans as much, but it will hurt the team tractor trailers IMO, maybe even str8 trucks.

Plus it's supply and demand, that hot semi or str8 load from Detroit to Laredo now could be run by a mexican team for half the price as a backhaul... they may even take your skid that would go on your van for a buck a mile just to get back....

I have actually seen slightly less. I know of a mexican carrier who got a str8 truck load for .94/mi. from Nuevo Laredo to Romulus I believe. I dont see how they did it.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
you are exactly rite. dont even get me started on people living off the taxpayers. well, the wrong people that is. there are individuals who cant help it. i have one of these myself. my gripe are the ones that are in line at the grocery with fifteen kids paying for food with food stamps or the rest of the scenarios we have all seen. if you have a true problem that prevents you from earning a living or economic conditions preventing the earning then thats one thing, but the rest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dispatcher03

Not a Member
The people that are depending on welfare and could be working a good job because they are healthy, are making our costs go up and our income go down. We are getting it at both ends.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I have actually seen slightly less. I know of a mexican carrier who got a str8 truck load for .94/mi. from Nuevo Laredo to Romulus I believe. I dont see how they did it.

They have reserve tanks on their trucks, and carry cheap Mexican fuel. That's how they do it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
as greg posted a whole .80 a gallon....

from proposal

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/cross-border/Concept-Trucks-English.pdf

3. Pre-Authority Safety Audit (PASA)
• Review carrier’s safety management programs (vehicle maintenance, drug and alcohol testing programs, driver qualification files, etc.).
• Review driving records for only those drivers who would participate in cross-border long haul operations.
• Review the combined driving record of drivers who would participate in the program (U.S. driving history, Mexican Federal license history, and Mexican State license history).
• Inspection of each vehicle to be used in the phased in program.
• Check all participating vehicles for Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) certification.
• Check all participating vehicles for EPA emissions standards.
• Conduct an English Language Proficiency and US Traffic Laws knowledge test of each driver participating in the program, conducted in English.
• Review of all convictions, crashes and inspections in Mexico in determining carrier’s safety record.
4. Document Mexican Commercial Driver’s License process to demonstrate comparability.
5. Insurance - If PASA is successfully completed, applicant must submit evidence of financial responsibility (insurance) to FMCSA

greg334

Veteran Expediter

They take the loss to get their foot in the door to prove they can do the work. Chances are the guy is a company driver, he gets his wages and don't care what the company gets.

Yep 80 cents difference, and that is ULSD fuel. They pay road taxes under the same IFTA system we have.

The problem we may see will be just along the border, the outbound freight from Mexico will be direct delivery instead of a border transfer - just like the Canadian companies do right now.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter

They maybe had extra room on the trailer... but yeah that's whats going to be happening across the board. They run expedites for a buck a mile! I have seen it before too

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Seems to me that truckers are just making to much money and mabe its time they have some competition, All these benes like getting detention pay, layover pay, hand unload pay, fsc, has just made truckers overpaid. There are people standing in line willing to do your jobs for half as much money, so maybe truckers are just overpaid.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Seems to me that truckers are just making to much money and mabe its time they have some competition, All these benes like getting detention pay, layover pay, hand unload pay, fsc, has just made truckers overpaid. There are people standing in line willing to do your jobs for half as much money, so maybe truckers are just overpaid.

Yeah Right! LOL

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Um.... right ...

Seems to me that Auto Workers are just making too much money and maybe it is time they have some competition, all these benies like getting low cost health care, training discounts, retraining and profit sharing, has just made Auto Workers too overpaid. There are people standing in line willing to do your job for a half or a third as much money, so maybe Auto Workers are just overpaid.

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Um.... right ...

Seems to me that Auto Workers are just making too much money and maybe it is time they have some competition, all these benies like getting low cost health care, training discounts, retraining and profit sharing, has just made Auto Workers too overpaid. There are people standing in line willing to do your job for a half or a third as much money, so maybe Auto Workers are just overpaid.

I dont know about all that, im just a van driver

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter

Thus your saying your well over paid and need to get less money for your efforts.
PS your CV is your truck and your a trucker!!!

CharlesD

Expert Expediter

So if your company cut your pay down to about .60 cpm......? :)

dant

Seasoned Expediter
here is the thing there is a big differnce between mexico and the canada trucks canada trucks are in alot better shape then mexico truck have you ever sat in laredo or any south border town and watch some of the mexico trucks are scary looking i dont ever see the border being open to many drugs will come across and we dont have the agents to cover that i think there are just trying to keep good relations with mexico i dont understand why? plus the fmcsa is trying to cut the truck crashes down and cracking down on us why would they want to make there job even harder by letting paco and joses trucking company drive our roads

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea but the consumer isn't buying our product directly and there is no direct correlation to the price of the product and the cost of our services where in the auto industry there is.

The need to institute a right to work attitude would do great for those auto companies who have yet to recover or are lying about their recovery.