Medical bill paid with pennies

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Man cited after paying bill with 2,500 pennies

VERNAL, Utah – A Utah man has been cited on a charge of disorderly conduct after paying for a disputed medical bill with 2,500 pennies.

The Deseret News of Salt Lake City reports Jason West went to Basin Clinic in Vernal on May 27 prepared to dispute an outstanding $25 bill.

Assistant Vernal Police Chief Keith Campbell says that after asking staff members whether they accepted cash, West dumped 2,500 pennies on the counter and demanded that staff count them.

Campbell says the incident upset staff because pennies were strewn about the counter and floor, and West's action served "no legitimate purpose."

Police later issued the 38-year-old West a citation for disorderly conduct. That carries a fine of as much as $140. Or 14,000 pennies.
:eek:

Follow Yahoo!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I read that earlier today...those charges will be dismissed IF, they are based strictly on the fact that he uses pennies to pay..they are still legal tender and can't be denied as payment...now the charge may included more then the payment since the article also said he "demanded they count them"..no depending on how that "demand" went, that coud have contributed to the charges...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They have no legal reason not to accept those pennies in payment. They are 100% legal American coin. I think that we should all start paying our quarterly tax estimates in pennies. What a hoot that would be!! Can you see the IRS/government refusing to accept legal tender? OH what fun that would be! :p

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I don't think it was about him paying with pennies; but rather the fact that he dumped them all over the counter and floor.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That could be, but I understand the feeling. People are getting tired of getting "dumped on" so much these days. Maybe the guy just finally got fed up with it. Better to dump a few pennies on a desk than punch someone out, or worse.

matlack

Expert Expediter

I knew a fellow several years ago who paid his state tax with a

wheel barrow full of pennies.

When he wheeled it into the local tax office the axle broke over

the threshold and the pennies spilled onto the floor.

Three agents counted for hours the coins and came up a couple

of dollars short.

The man disagreed and said to count the coins again, one

agent said something and made up the difference himself (out

of his own pocket) refusing to recount.

This story ran in the local newspaper

and if I can find it I will post a link to it.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
If it IS just a matter of him paying in pennies and he's fined, I hope he pays the fine in pennies.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Hey, I delivered to Vernal, UT once. It's about 35 miles west of Dinosaur, CO.

I wish I could remember the details, and I know it's happened at least once before, back in the early 60s, but a few years ago some used car salesman (owner, actually) got a little too full of himself and his television ads, and offered a car during one of the ads for something like 15,000 bananas.

Yep. :D

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Hey, I delivered to Vernal, UT once. It's about 35 miles west of Dinosaur, CO.

I wish I could remember the details, and I know it's happened at least once before, back in the early 60s, but a few years ago some used car salesman (owner, actually) got a little too full of himself and his television ads, and offered a car during one of the ads for something like 15,000 bananas.

LOL did anyone take him up on the offer? :D:p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
He tried to back out of the deal, saying he didn't really mean real bananas, but a judge disagreed, just like what happened back in the 60s.