Maybe Things Aren't So Bad After All

ATeam

Retired Expediter
With freight slowing, rates declining and no sign of turnaround in sight, it's more somber out there and dampened spirits tend to linger ... at least until you put some expediters in a room and start swapping stories and talking shop.

At the Bordentown Petro today a number of expediters were doing their thing. A little before the dinner hour, I went truck to truck to invite people to dine together. Ten people representing three carriers (Bolt, FedEx Custom Critical, Landstar Express America) responded. We took over the back room of the restaurant and enjoyed a meal and some expediter fellowship.

Not everyone had success stories to share but the mood was upbeat. It was nice to swap stories, compare notes and enjoy each others' company for a bit. I left the room appreciating the friendly community we have among expediters. The economy may in the dumps, but expediters know how to stay positive while they roll with the punches.

Most remarkable was that nobody indicated they wanted to be doing anything else. It's good to be an expediter and fun to rub elbows with people who like their work.

ExpeditersAtBordentown.jpg

Last edited:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Cool...that is a nice benefit of this business. We need more stories like this..in times like these.

shawnm1981

Seasoned Expediter
yeah i think sometimes no matter how good it gets its never as good as you want and I drove in 05 and 06 and it was a bit slow but I loved the freedom to just up and move if i thought i was in a bad spot or to be able to just take a month off to vacation if i wanted where else can you do that lol I myslef really enjoy expediting unless I get hit by the **** port of entry in colorado again bad expereince

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Phil, thanks so much for sharing the story AND the picture! What a great thing for you to do inviting others to share the time. It looks like you were having so much fun!

We were at a pick up today and another expediter came over to our truck, introduced himself and asked how we were doing. My husband replied that we were doing great. The other driver said, "Man, that is what I like to hear! I love to hear that others are having success like we are! Isn't this a great business to be in?"

A positive attitude goes a long way. We see that all the time.

Thanks again. It is great that you keep your camera handy to get pictures of something like this!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Looks like a lot of fun! It is always nice when you can get a bunch of drivers from different carriers together. Funny how we all have the same stories.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We missed you by a week :cool: I like getting together with "upbeat" folks that can swap stories and have a good laugh. Thanks for sharing :)

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had supper the other night with another FXCC van driver, it's nice to share stories and laughs with someone in the exact same biz. What a good idea Phil to get a whole bunch together.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
That *was* a great idea ATeam! A little cameraderie amongst expediters sounds like fun! Next time get the waitress to take the pic so you can be in it too!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Absolutely Awesome! My hat is off to all that sat and enjoyed each others company!

I drove up to the atlanta area and stopped for the night at the J in Jackson, LOL, I just said a few days ago that I had never stopped anywhere and had more the 1 other Bolt van in the lot, well I ran into 2 others in the same lot today! The 3 of us sat and ejoyed conversation, but i can't say we swapped too many storys, me being in this business since sept, i was the old ti,er in the group!! The other 2 signed on in Jan!!

So Again it is awesome that all of you got to enjoy the time together and share a meal...what more can you ask for when business isn't the best!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Phil

That was one of the best post I have seen in a long time. Nice to see people together talking about the business, no matter what company you are with. Maybe you can share something like this once a week with the people of EO. Maybe a Friday get together at the Petro can be done every other week? Maybe DaveKc can meet with people there? Sounds like something fun. Thanks for sharing this with the people of EO.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Spontaneous events like these are easy to organize, especially at the Bordentown Petro where a private room is available and a number of expediters are usually hanging out.

"Organize" overstates the effort. All you have to do is tell other expediters that you and maybe other expediters will be going in to eat at a specified time and invite them to join you. Yesterday, of 11 people asked, ten came in. On Thanksgiving, all of the people invited came in to dine together.

With separate checks, it doesn't cost you a dime. People on layover usually have the time. You don't even need to eat a meal. Some had already eaten and just had coffee while they visited. It's not difficult to get strangers talking once they are seated together. Someone will quickly break the ice and the gab-fest is on. When multiple carriers are represented, it is an especially informative time if you want to learn more about the business and ask a few questions.

Judging by the response, folks seem glad for invites like this and the time together. At any truck stop or other place where expediters can be found, if you are extroverted just enough to approach fellow expediters and say when you plan to go inside to eat, you can make the day more fun and interesting for yourself and others. Treating the waitress right can make her day too.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This is too cool! As I write this, one of the people from last night's meal is out knocking on doors now, rounding people up for breakfast. Not that I need to eat a full meal again, but it's off to breakfast I go! :)

guido4475

Not a Member
that really is nice to see something like that happen, phil. it reminds me of how expediting used to be back in 94. always had a barbecue going on in the back lot of the perrysburg petro on the weekends.what ever happenened to all of that? we used to be one happy family out here,no matter who a person was leased onto. now, i go down the road and pass someone in the right lane, and i look over and wave, and they look at me like i'm crazy or something. with times as tough as they are,i really think it is important to help each other out, no matter what.if youre talking to someone and the subject of a mechanical problem comes up that they are having with their truck, and you know how to fix it,help em out! i know i do when i can.and if someone is on the side of the road, and they dont come back on the cb when you ask them if they are okay,pull over to a safe place and walk back and ask them if they are okay.you just never know.with summer coming up, i encourage everyone to get a small grill,a coulple of them lawn chairs in a bag,and try the same thing phil did, only outside.it used to be so fun.time we put the fun and caring back in expediting.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
that really is nice to see something like that happen, phil. it reminds me of how expediting used to be back in 94. always had a barbecue going on in the back lot of the perrysburg petro on the weekends.what ever happenened to all of that? we used to be one happy family out here,no matter who a person was leased onto. now, i go down the road and pass someone in the right lane, and i look over and wave, and they look at me like i'm crazy or something. with times as tough as they are,i really think it is important to help each other out, no matter what.if youre talking to someone and the subject of a mechanical problem comes up that they are having with their truck, and you know how to fix it,help em out! i know i do when i can.and if someone is on the side of the road, and they dont come back on the cb when you ask them if they are okay,pull over to a safe place and walk back and ask them if they are okay.you just never know.with summer coming up, i encourage everyone to get a small grill,a coulple of them lawn chairs in a bag,and try the same thing phil did, only outside.it used to be so fun.time we put the fun and caring back in expediting.

Did that last year in Perrysburg...dogs and hamburgers...the wife fed about 3 or 4 other solos off the grill with the J donating the lettuce and onions....had a great time swapping lies....:D