Malfunctions - Breakdowns - Flat Tires

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Need some input from you pros out there.

As a former road warrior sales consultant I was in the habit of using AAA for roadside assistance. Obviously, AAA does not respond to commercial vehicle calls.

Just curious as to how others have handled breakdowns, flat tires, etc.

Any companies offering nationwide coverage?

As always, your comments are greatfully appreciated.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Perhaps not for straight trucks, but AAA does provide roadside assitance to commercial vans; I've used them many times. I have had AAA employees tell me they don't insure commercial vehicles, but that is not the corporate position.

Terry

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Really?

That is very interesting.

My AAA info didn't seem to offer assistance to commercial vehicles.

They don't freak out when they show up and see company logo on the van?

I wonder if their coverage is posted online.

Thanks my friend.

Sitting in Louisville, KY waiting on freight.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
My first renewal attempt at the local AAA office they told me no commercial, so I did not renew. After ignoring a couple of renewal offers in the mail, an agent called with the usual telemarking pitch and when informed why I wasn't renewing the agent said I was misinformed. I've been a born-again AAA user ever since.

I've used their services in the form of a battery jump in Syracuse, NY and Poukeepsie, Ny; I've been towed in Hannibal, MO; Murphresboro, TN and Bowling Green, OH. I was reimbursed for tow services in Quebec. I had my present van for one day and was working on outfitting it in my driveway. Rene' called me in for supper and I locked three sets of keys in the van when I left. I called AAA at about 0730 the next day and was back in the van by 0800.

Each of these vans serviced were fully branded with the company logo and markings and none of the AAA reps balked at doing the work at hand. I have the AAA Plus policy which gives me a 100 mile tow, plenty enough, thus far, to get us to a service point. Additionally, the 800 fone # beats cold calling repair shops at unfamiliar locations.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Terry,

You are quickly becoming my best friend! Maybe you should start charging me for the great ifo you have provided to this new guy.

I found the AAA info:

Eligible Vehicles
Basic: Service applies to all properly licensed four-wheeled motor driven vehicles of the passenger, pleasure or recreational type (vans, campers and motor homes), if those services can be safely delivered.
Dual wheel campers/motor homes are eligible for all services except towing, extricating/winching and tire service. Dual wheel unloaded pickup trucks are eligible for all services except rear tire service. Full coverage for these vehicles are available under the AAA Plus/RV® membership.
Rented passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles are eligible for service with the exception of taxi cabs and limousines.

The only thing they don't cover when it is a commercial vehicle:

Exclusions

The following are not covered by legal reimbursement benefits:
Fees for attorneys in defense of any charge when member is also charged with operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or narcotics, driving while intoxicated or driving on a suspended or revoked license/registration.
Fees for witnesses, subpoenas, plans, photographs and maps, fines and court cost. Fees for defending second or subsequent charges arising out of one occurrence.
Commercial vehicles
Plea bargaining before court date or outside court chambers will negate reimbursement of legal fees.

PS. We don't need legal fee coverage because we aren't going to break any traffic laws.

Again, thanks my friend. Lunch is on me when our paths cross out there on the great ribbons of highway....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
For straights and tractors, we use one of the two.

www.nttsbreakdown.com
www.truckdown.com

Ntts has a downloadable disk I believe if you are on the road. Handy if you breakdown and have no internet access.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
AAA allows for different "emergency services" options as well.

i.e., Three (3) weeks ago we cut a tire eastbound on the Ohio Turnpike about the 95 mm. Even though we had a spare, we elected to have the vehicle towed to Elyria, OH to a dealer because we thought the steering may have been damaged when the tire blew apart.

The tow truck driver got permission from his dispatch, and within a total of 25 minutes from the original call, we were on our way to Elyria (about 50 miles).

Also, with the premium subscription, I do believe if you are involved in an accident at least 100 miles from your home address, and your vehicle is not drivable, AAA will pay for the delay (lodging, car rental, meals) up to $1500.00 per incident. At least is was that way 2-3 years ago.

Further, Allstate Motor Club advertises that their premium subscription will pay for all of the above including mechanical breakdows as well.

Allstate wanted $146 for this pkg, but if you tell them it is too expensive, to make a sale, the marketer will offer you the same pkg. at $76.00 if you were ever a previous member.

We then bought it. It is cheap insurance for somebody driving over 125K miles every year.

Hope we don't have to use either, but suspect we will.

Be safe. No cargo you are 'hauling' is more valuable than the driver.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
2 weeks ago, I switched my cellphone to Cingular, and got Roadside Assist, for $3.00 per month. I told them I drive a commercial van, they said "It's free the first month, if they don't cover comm. vehicles, you can cancel". Before I could learn whether my van is covered, I blew a wheel bearing on the interstate, outside Cuba, Mo, just after midnight. Called the Cuba Voss truckstop, who gave me the number to a towing company nearby, they towed the van that night & fixed it in the morning. Then I called Cingular to complain, because they hadn't included any contact info for the roadside program. They instructed me to fax the tow bill, & they would credit $50 on my bill. I still don't know whether they cover commercial vehicles, but the reason I thought they wouldn't is that AAA had informed me that they do not - so I'm glad to find that they do. It's nice that Cingular paid half my tow bill, but I think I'd prefer to go with AAA. Thanks for letting me know that I can! :)

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
cheri1122:

Another advantage to using AAA and Allstate, is simply that they have their own network of tow truck companies, and also repair shops which allows them to monitor their vendor's response time, quality and cost of repairs, etc., etc.

BTW: Call your insurance agent about the entire towing bill. Some companies and/or agents will alllow you resubmit that bill for towing benefits on your own insurance without fear of raising your rates. (Comprehensive claims should not affect your liability rates)

If you don't have towing insurance on your current policy, you might want to add it. It is probably less than $10 per year.

Hope this helps.

G

This sounds crazy, but I was reading an article about roadside assistance in a truck magazine while waiting on my truck at a CAT shop and I saw something about Nextel providing roadside assistance (including towing) to commercial vehicles up to 33,000 gvwr to subscribers to their roadside assistance. Someone tell me if this is true.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
Are you guys telling me I can use AAA Plus for road calls for a flat tire or tow on a 40' straight trk with 22.5 tires. Who is your AAA guy and Ph# Thanks:)

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of flat tires, will the jack that comes with a Chevy or GMC van lift and hold the truck for changing a tire if the van is loaded to it's max GVW?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know if GM's jack will safely lift a fully loaded van. I carry a 5 ton bottle jack just in case.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Speaking of flat tires, will the jack that comes with a
>Chevy or GMC van lift and hold the truck for changing a tire
>if the van is loaded to it's max GVW?

No

ratwell71

Veteran Expediter
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm

Check for recalls here.

Read my complaint to International.

M.L. Atwell Trucking
Mary Linda Atwell
XXXXX XXXXX Avenue
XXXXXXX, MO 63109
(314)-609-3101
March 8, 2006

Customer Service Engineer (CSE)
Senior Administrator
International Corporation
4201 Winfield Road
P.O. Box 1488
Warrenville, IL 60555
(630)-753-5000

Dear Customer Service Engineer:

On February 28, 2006, I had my 2004 International 4400 (Vin # 1HTMKAAN24H592264) towed to Westrux International, located in Santa Fe Springs, CA, to be repaired. The vehicle had water coming out of the blow by tube (crankcase ventilation). This was noticed after driving the vehicle a mile down the road after stopping for a coffee. I immediately stopped the engine and called a tow truck. After a diagnosis to what was wrong with my truck, I was told that I would get help from International Corporation because of a premature O-ring failure on cylinder number 4. My truck has never overheated nor has ever been under maximum load capacity. In fact, my truck is registered for 26,000 pounds even though the manufacturer says that it can handle up to 33,000 pounds. I have a very clean truck, and I have taken extreme care of this vehicle. Westrux deemed it necessary to overhaul my engine despite my engine only has 219, 987 on it. This was because when the O-ring failed it emptied my radiator’s antifreeze fluid into the crankcase. This O-ring failure was not due to misuse of equipment because of overheating, cryogenics, chemical degradation, cavitations, etc. The head mechanic, Hector, assured me that he was convinced that this was a manufacturer defect. I feel very strongly that I should not have been out of any money seeing that I bought this truck brand new, and I had no control over manufacturing this engine. I understand that Quality Control has done numerous tests on different types of O-rings under different conditions because of the 2004 Federal Emissions Requirements and the need to be in compliance with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I also know that International understands that it needs to act not only socially responsible for the products that it creates, but also ethically and timely when a complaint is made. I made this purchase at Alumibunk in Woodhaven, MI in February of 2004. The truck when purchased displayed only 11 miles, but had over 2000 hours of operation registered on the display. When questioned on whether this engine was used for government testing or International testing we were told that this was a brand new engine and it had never been tested just ran on a Dyno.

Unfortunately, your product has not performed well because this engine should have never failed this soon. Also, I feel that when International recalled my truck because of a software issue that the warranty should have restarted or I should have been extended an additional warranty because running the wrong software on this engine could have precipitated or caused the problem at hand. When the service department flashed my ECM with the correct software version, my mileage on my truck nearly doubled which means that when I purchased the vehicle it did not have 11 miles on it as well as the vehicle’s price was inflated because of inaccurate odometer reading. This was unethical and if I would have known, the engine had more miles on it than what was displayed I might have not purchased this vehicle. The fact that your technicians uploaded the wrong software version when I purchased this vehicle should be enough to hold International accountable. Running the wrong software for this engine could have done more damage than just an O-ring. The engine was not operating under the specs designed by the engineers. The software operates many facets of the engine’s operation, any of which could have contributed to the problem for which I am requesting retribution.

Therefore, to resolve the problem, I would appreciate your reimbursement for all associated costs. This includes the following: tow bill, hotel stays, car rental, labor cost, and lost time. I will send copies (copies, not originals) of my records (receipts, warranties, cancelled checks, contracts, model and serial numbers, and any other documents) upon request.

I look forward to your reply and a resolution to my problem. I will wait 48 hours before seeking third-party assistance. Please contact me at the above address or by phone. If I do not get a satisfactory resolution I will have no other recourse but to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), my state’s attorney general, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, etc. I feel I have given International Corporation every opportunity to make this situation right, but at this point I am getting annoyed by the shuffling of responsibility. I hope that you will work with me on this matter. International advertises that the DT466 engine is reliable, durable, low downtime, and minimal maintenance. I have not had the opportunity to enjoy any of these advantages. I, as a dissatisfied customer, was mislead not only by the research that I did prior to the purchase of the vehicle, but also by the false odometer reading. Altering the odometer is covered under Article 49 U.S.C. 32710 despite the fact that commercial dealers are allowed to stamp exempt on the title because the vehicle is over 16,000 pounds. When the vehicle’s mileage is altered by the manufacturer this voids the original contract. The customer has a right to know the actual mileage at the time of purchase not a year later when there is a recall and possibly damage done to the engine because of negligence on behalf of the manufacturer.

Sincerely,

Mary Atwell
President, M.L. Atwell Trucking
(314)-609-3101