Magical Mystery F.S.C.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wednesday about 16:30 I accepted a 263 mile load with a .44/mile f.s.c. The load consisted of 10 - 5 gallon pails of black ink weighing 427#. Freight charges were prepaid. After delivery I received a paid empty move back to the board I started from.

Thursday about 16:30 I was offered a 263 mile, 10 pieces at 427#. Same shipper. Same consignee. It was like déjà vu or a parallel universe except for the f.s.c. which had mysteriously dropped to .28/mile. I questioned the dispatcher about this and was told that the customer sets the f.s.c. rate. I was having some difficulty comprehending this and asked in my best perplexed, thinking out loud kind of voice: “So the customer was feeling generous Wednesday and was willing to set and pay a f.s.c. of .44/mile but 24 hours later was feeling stingy and decided to set the f.s.c. at .28/mile? This after receiving prompt, courteous, and extremely professional service on the first load.

I was told that’s the way it is. When I pressed further he said, and I quote: “I assure you that the customer sets the f.s.c.” Okay, fine! I’m not knocking a .28/mile f.s.c. Especially since I paid $2.02/gal. for gas today. But even low life slug van owners have some principles. Aside from my principles I don’t like getting jacked around. So I declined the load and told them I would haul it if the f.s.c. matched Wednesday’s f.s.c.

The dispatcher put me on hold for about 5 minutes. While on hold I had the feeling that I was sitting at the desk of car salesman. The salesman departed to ostensibly talk to the sales manager but actually had a smoke with the kid that sprays the black rust proof gunk on the undercarriages of new cars.

Eventually I got a bonus of $42.08 to make up the difference between the two f.s.c.’s. On the way to the shipper I felt proud and satisfied that I stood up for what I believed to be right. That feeling of pride soon turned to guilt and shame. I realized that I had just stabbed my carrier, my business partner in the back by cheating them out of $42.08.

How could I make amends for what I had done? Should I vote for Barrack Obama and hope his wealth redistribution plan takes $42.08 from me and gives it to my company? Too late for that! I mailed my absentee ballot last week. Should I send the $42.08 anonymously back to the company? Maybe I should make a donation to Sally Struthers in my carriers name. Or possibly go have my tires rotated. That always makes me feel better. What should I do? I have not been able to sleep at night. Although I have been sleeping fine during the day!

Excuse me for a minute; I must remind the tire jockey to rotate my spare into the mix. …I’m back!

Has anyone ever come across the Magical Mystery F.S.C.? If so, what did you do. How do you deal with the guilt and shame that comes from cheating your carrier. Will I ever be able to look myself in the mirror and shave?

Thank you all for your time spent reading this. Please remember that tomorrow, dawn’s first rays of light will fall upon us all an hour earlier.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Just remember, Moot, if you had accepted the lower FSC I doubt that the customer would have felt any shame and remorse. He or she definately would NOT had voted for Obama for that reason or sent money for Sally to chow down on. Remember who you are working for: Moot, not Sally or Obama or Save the Whales. (I thought of Sally and I just threw that in)

Does the FSC SLOWLY rise as the price of fuel goes through the roof, and QUICKLY drops as the fuel cost drops? That's the way is seemed when I drove.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Remember who you are working for: Moot, not Sally or Obama or Save the Whales. (I thought of Sally and I just threw that in)

Prof; I always think of Save The Whales also when I hear Sally Struther's name. Why is that?

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Moot,

I commend you on your dedication to the partnership with your carrier, but I can't help but notice you look like a friggin' porcupine with all the knives sticking out of your back. Wonder where they came from......? Oh NO not your Partner in business,
You can't make me believe that!!!

Sleep well tonight Moot, For today you were a WINNER.
Tomorrow will be another day and with a smile they will insert another dagger.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I once turned down a load going from Lebanon, TN to Indianapolis, because at that time of night I didn't want to deal with going all the way up Hwy 231, instead of the Interstate, and that's the routing that the loaded miles paid. It paid a $.44 FSC. The guy parked next to me took it. An hour later I get offered a load from the same shipper, to the same consignee, and it paid a FSC of $.28. I questioned it, and was told the same thing. I asked her to explain Pro# whatever-whatever, and she couldn't. Turned out, mine at $.28 was the same load as the other one. The first driver got there and found they needed a Sprinter cause it was tall freight. Why would I accept that at $.28 when I wouldn't at $.44, I asked her, especially since it's now specialized freight that requires a Sprinter or a straight truck? That load ended up getting delivered, by me, at $1 a mile plus the $.44 FSC, and at the Practical Routing instead of the shortest routing.

Got a load offer once for an 11 mile run, FSC of $8 and change. I checked, and that was Zip Code to Zip Code, not the actual mileage. The actual mileage was 23 miles. I asked the dispatcher how hard it was to get the actual miles from address to address, since every tool at their disposal will do it. She said if they used 23 miles, the FSC would drop to $2 and change (she managed to give me an exact FSC figure, tho). It's a mystery.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The magical mystery tour is coming to take you away,
Coming to take you away.
The magical mystery tour is dying to take you away,
Dying to take you away, take you away.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot, I would not be surprised that when you get your settlement that the first load you did will be changed to 0.28 fsc.......and Panthers answer will be that is a estimated fsc.....had it happen to me.and my question is how can you run your business on estimates!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't understand .44 at all? your makin out like bandits! ....With the price of fuel now....E-1's and the Feds have dropped like a rock... Flat Rate for C/V's .13 this week will be adjusted tomorrow to new average...which will be down again..

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is the alternative. .44 or .28 is probably higher than the flat rate system that is available if someone wants. That FSC is a guaranteed one.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
ya fs is coming down..my driver had one for .14 friday....but it got him to michigan then to my house, where we got some maintenance done on the vehicle...also got one for .44 fsc last week. average is still in the .20s

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM. please re-read my post, especially the second and third paragraphs.

Mr. Snappy you may be right about the first load getting knocked down to .28. Everything is subject to change.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot...I did...what am I missing? you run on gas...your makin out like a bandit still.....

I guess my point is...IF you were on the flat rate system you'd be getting .13 for the FSC.

IF things were reversed...
I understand IF the first trip was .28 FSC and the second indentical trip was .44...you'd be calling to complain about the difference...right?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The flat rate FSC isn't the issue, nor is how much the FSC actually is. It's like getting a load offer of 900 miles, then accepting it, than a few hours later they tell you that it's gonna swap, and they tell you, "Hey! 450 miles is a good run!"

Like, that's sooo not the issue. The issue is them playing the games of lies, deceptions and misdirections.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The flat rate FSC isn't the issue, nor is how much the FSC actually is. It's like getting a load offer of 900 miles, then accepting it, than a few hours later they tell you that it's gonna swap, and they tell you, "Hey! 450 miles is a good run!"

Like, that's sooo not the issue. The issue is them playing the games of lies, deceptions and misdirections.

And I'd betcha 8 times outta 10 the swap is from yours to a fleet owners van.....now thats an issue I hear a lot....

normal operating procedure...whats your point?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And I'd betcha 8 times outta 10 the swap is from yours to a fleet owners van.....now thats an issue I hear a lot....
If the percentage of vans at Panther that are fleet vans is 80%, you'd be right about 80% of the time.

But I've swapped out to non-fleet vans, and have taken the second half of swaps from both fleet and non-fleet vans. I honestly don't think that dispatch, the Swap Desk in particular, cares one way or the other. The Swap Desk is more concerned with even finding another van to swap it out to, and in many cases that's not easy at all, and in trying to find a location where the cross dock can happen, which ain't all that easy, either.

And they have to try and swap the load out so that both vans be nearly-equal miles out of the deal, to an available van, at a suitable location? If they had to start taking into consideration whether or not one van or the other is a fleet van, they'd just explode.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess my point is...IF you were on the flat rate system you'd be getting .13 for the FSC.

My point is that I am not on the flat rate system!!!!!

IF things were reversed...
I understand IF the first trip was .28 FSC and the second indentical trip was .44...you'd be calling to complain about the difference...right?

It doesn't matter which f.s.c. was first. There is a .16/mile discrepancy between the two. And yes I would complain if 24 hours later the exact same load was offered at .44 and the explanation for the difference was that the customer sets the f.s.c. rate. I would have refused the load unless they were willing to pay me .60/mile to make up the difference.

My approach to expediting puts me in the minority. I operate differently than most who post here and expediters I have met on the road. I am in it for the revenue, not the miles. Under most circumstances I would choose a 350 mile load with a .40 f.s.c. over a 1000 mile load with an .20. I am not afraid to deadhead to a better location on my own dime. Also I have little tolerance for being jacked around. But that's just me.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
if...`the customer sets the fsc' is true then why would they offer anything at all. just thru the kindness of their heart? think we have had this discussion already.