Low prices are killing this month!ppl bending over like crazy!

Dave Sullivan

Seasoned Expediter
It is true the duelly is a red flag if a DOT cop is behind me and he notices im far from the state im plated in
, Thay allways are very willing to talk to me about my truck and whats in it

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just to help out some understanding ...... the Yellow cubes that everyone gets excited about ..... years 2008 and older were door tagged at 10,000 lbs. (12 ft. Box) inside the cargo area on the wall was listed AVAILABLE freight weight around 2300 lbs..... most drivers have painted over those numbers because Smart shippers refused to load 4000 lbs. on them seeing those numbers ...
The yellow cubes 2009 and newer are door labeled 11,500 lbs. and 12,500 lbs. Depending if 12 ft. or 14 ft. Box ...so now do the Math...

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
One of my sprinters 14ft box T1N is labeled 10200 GVWR which sucks.. For that xtra 200 pounds gotta scale , log which sucks I run it local mostly and don't run logs... Usually .. I rarely use it tho... And the payload should be around #4700-5000 around but! When I put 3500 most I've put in it that thing is a horrible ride ... The box! Touches the rear wheels on bumps lol when load is centered let say 2 pallets... Those sprinter boxes not designed correct... For sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of my sprinters 14ft box T1N is labeled 10200 GVWR which sucks.. For that xtra 200 pounds gotta scale , log which sucks I run it local mostly and don't run logs... Usually .. I rarely use it tho... And the payload should be around #4700-5000 around but! When I put 3500 most I've put in it that thing is a horrible ride ... The box! Touches the rear wheels on bumps lol when load is centered let say 2 pallets... Those sprinter boxes not designed correct... For sure

I heard stories about the frames twisting in certain conditions....then the drive line is out of whack..

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Lol I believe it... Those things are not made for boxes honestly I can't imagine someone putting over 4000 pound on it...

Funny thing u say driveline one of my other sprinters its been in the dealer for the past week waiting on a new driveline to be replaced..... The ujoints are shot and R not replaceable needs whole new driveline... Benz.... What can I say

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Here goes $1500.... Sucks when u know ujoints usually run like 15-20$ for most vehicles......

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Here goes $1500.... Sucks when u know ujoints usually run like 15-20$ for most vehicles......

When my u-joints went bad I replaced the driveshaft with an after market one that has replaceable u-joints. Cost me around $375. The place where I bought it was Carolina Driveline in South Carolina somewhere. Shipping wasn't too bad either.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
When my u-joints went bad I replaced the driveshaft with an after market one that has replaceable u-joints. Cost me around $375. The place where I bought it was Carolina Driveline in South Carolina somewhere. Shipping wasn't too bad either.

Are u for real both pieces were 375$?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Lol I believe it... Those things are not made for boxes honestly I can't imagine someone putting over 4000 pound on it...

Funny thing u say driveline one of my other sprinters its been in the dealer for the past week waiting on a new driveline to be replaced..... The ujoints are shot and R not replaceable needs whole new driveline... Benz.... What can I say

YA know these sprinters really arnt that good of a design in my opinion
Mb isn't that well engineered except forsaking mb money !

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
YA know these sprinters really arnt that good of a design in my opinion
Mb isn't that well engineered except forsaking mb money !
I can agree about the box on the chassy , but the Sprinters engines all 3 DSL motors and inside out are the best Vans on the Market... I've taken more then a couple past the 800k mark with original engine , transmission...

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I know they are German engineered and that should be good but. To design a simple thing like a drive shaft that can be fixed by most shops is beyond stupid what's so special that they have to make a non repairable part like a. Driveline when every car manufacturer can do it and does?
Their rustproofing and corrosion metal work leaves little to be desired also.
I'm glad I never owned one!

Reactions: ajakapari

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know they are German engineered and that should be good but. To design a simple thing like a drive shaft that can be fixed by most shops is beyond stupid what's so special that they have to make a non repairable part like a. Driveline when every car manufacturer can do it and does?
there is quite a few models that have non changeable U Joints/non lubricatable

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We almost bought a new one in 2013, but so glad I had a moment to ask what the hell am I doing??

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
This is the big problem. We have experts that never owned, nor they ever plan to own a sprinter giving advice how crappy sprinters are.

In my humble opinion, my Sprinter has been the best vehicle that I owned so far, and I owned a few. No vehicle is perfect, but this has been the best. There are some things that I wish they did differently on it, but such is life.

My Sprinter lifetime maintenance only cost me less than 3 pennies a mile, including tires. Couple that with under 8 pennies a mile for fuel and there it is. Lifetime expenses for under 12 cents a mile.

Never had an alignment done yet, currently it has 765,617 miles. How many alignments does a Ford require in this many miles?

It took me a while to realize that even dealership mechanics most of the time don't know what they are doing. So my success story is partly based on not letting any dealership bozos touch my vehicle. Other than one time that I took my van to a Sprinter expert for something that I wasn't willing to tackle myself, the only bozo that touched my vehicle was myself.

But what a piece of crap my Sprinter is!!!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is the big problem. We have experts that never owned, nor they ever plan to own a sprinter giving advice how crappy sprinters are.

In my humble opinion, my Sprinter has been the best vehicle that I owned so far, and I owned a few. No vehicle is perfect, but this has been the best. There are some things that I wish they did differently on it, but such is life.

My Sprinter lifetime maintenance only cost me less than 3 pennies a mile, including tires. Couple that with under 8 pennies a mile for fuel and there it is. Lifetime expenses for under 12 cents a mile.

Never had an alignment done yet, currently it has 765,617 miles. How many alignments does a Ford require in this many miles?

It took me a while to realize that even dealership mechanics most of the time don't know what they are doing. So my success story is partly based on not letting any dealership bozos touch my vehicle. Other than one time that I took my van to a Sprinter expert for something that I wasn't willing to tackle myself, the only bozo that touched my vehicle was myself.

But what a piece of crap my Sprinter is!!!!!

No kidding eh.....some just don't or can't understand.....
and we are just now starting to see signs of the Transits weaknesses now the mileage is adding up....no model is immune....nope none....

and YOU treat your van with respect and drive it responsibly...and do preventive work....

tknight

Veteran Expediter
My friend Jeff bought 4 new sprinters this past year and all have been to the dealers more times than you would think from def troubles to electrical issues to cooling so I'm just speaking from what I've seen happen to him . He still Seward by them and at them u was just saying mb makes nothing easy or cheap everything is grossly inflated