Logging

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Spoke with folks at OOIDA here is their response:

Running team all time in truck needs to be logged as either sleeper berth, driving or on duty (not driving). The only time one can log off duty is when at truck stop or some place similar where one can exit truck.

Running team at border crossing you lose your sleeper berth time if less than eight hours. No provisions have been made to accommodate drivers in this area.

Reactions: 1 person

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
John I am a little slow can you expound on this?

Running team at border crossing you lose your sleeper berth time if less than eight hours. No provisions have been made to accommodate drivers in this area.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would say that the reason you would lose your sleeper birth time would be when crossing at the border both members of the team must be in the cab of the truck.meaning that the co driver would now have to legally log on duty not driving...

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Your sleeper berth time was interrupted before 8 continuous hours when you crossed border as you had to sit in jump seat, therefore you lose all those hours in sleeper berth. Now you need to log on duty (not driving) for sitting in jump seat as you crossed border. Jump back into sleeper berth to accumulate 8 hours uninterrupted time so you can legally start your 14 hour day.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think the folks at the FMSCA had reeeeeaaaaallyyy strict parents, and they're getting even.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
How many have informed Dispatch the load will be delayed because customs interupted the sleep period. WHAT WAS THEIR RESPONSE?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When you accept the load you as an independent Owner Operator or driver have to make the decision if you can cross the border and stay legal.
IMO the company offers you loads and you then make the decision can I haul the load legally and then you accept or reject the load offer. I do not see this as the companies responsibility.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I realize that I am breaking the "rules" but, I'm not logging the 2 minutes it takes for the Border Guard to see that I am the co-driver and to look at my passport. Never had a problem.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being that peeing has become a recent hot topic on E.O. let me yellow the snow with this little scenario: You drive in a team operation. Urine the bunk on line 2 for 5 hours sleeping. Your co-driver stops for fuel and you have an urge to evacuate your bladder. What should you do?

a) Drop down to line 4 for 15 minutes and go into the truck stop and take care of business.

b) Remain on line 2, deposit liquid assets into temporary holding account and then empty said account out of sleeper window.

c) You are wise enough to distinguish between reality and ridiculousness. You use the truck stop restroom and return to slumber all while remaining on line 2.

d) You hold it knowing that tomorrow is laundry day.

e) Experience, research and planning have prevented you from ever being in this situation.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
you dont have to change duty status if it takes less than 15 minuets,just flag that you were there,when we use to do canada,did that for many years

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't know about that Steve, sounds too complicated to me. ;)

It seems that my program ('cough' driver's daily log) has a 15 minute window that I can do all sorts of things in. For example if I stop at 15:25 to dump my garbage or take a whiz on the side of the road and then get back on the road at 15:34, I am still in that same 15 minute time slot on the log. I use the NOW button on the little time window to set my time by the way.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
When I was using paper logs with schneider their policy was 7.5 minutes of whatever before changing duty status. It documents the majority of what the driver is doing during a particular 15 minute period.

eb

Telecaster

Seasoned Expediter
Re, Moot's post:
The correct answer is to parse "b" and "c" and combine. "Remain on line 2, deposit liquid assets into temporary holding account," (don't toss it out the window, okay?) because "you are wise enough to distinguish between reality and ridiculousness."
What if you choose "a" and it takes more than 15 minutes? Are you going to log that? Is anyone going to log that?

For team border crossings:
As OOIDA and others have said, "No provisions have been made to accomodate drivers in this area." No surprise there.
What TeamCaffee said.
Pelicn's also right, IMO, but these days, technically, that could bite you.

(temporary sig):
Marc Mayfield
Retired Owner Operator
Million-mile safe-driving awards -- no accidents, no incidents
OOIDA member since 1994 / Lifetime Member
Tone Aficionado

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
See question 18 WasteWatcher . It states intervals under 15 minutes may be flagged on the same "on duty" or "driving" line . It does not mention sleeper berth and the time duration and location of flagged incident must be recorded . 5 minutes out of the sleeper interrupts the break .

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
Being that peeing has become a recent hot topic on E.O. let me yellow the snow with this little scenario: You drive in a team operation. Urine the bunk on line 2 for 5 hours sleeping. Your co-driver stops for fuel and you have an urge to evacuate your bladder. What should you do?

a) Drop down to line 4 for 15 minutes and go into the truck stop and take care of business.

b) Remain on line 2, deposit liquid assets into temporary holding account and then empty said account out of sleeper window.

c) You are wise enough to distinguish between reality and ridiculousness. You use the truck stop restroom and return to slumber all while remaining on line 2.

e) Experience, research and planning have prevented you from ever being in this situation.

I'd like to phone a friend. Or should I use my 50/50????

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

You'd better hope Joan Claybrook doesn't read this or Public Citizen will be petitioning for motion detectors and cameras to be required on sleeper berth entrances .