Load One

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Is it me or did this train jump the tracks?

It might have. I won't rehash the pay side, but with regards to sleeper sizes, it is really part of a package. I don't think I pass the cost to drivers, but would readily acknowledge it is part of my operating costs. I would rather have folks in a truck they like verses one they tolerate. On the other side, I could put absolute junk out there and pay the driver more?
One of those, "just not how we roll".

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It might have. I won't rehash the pay side, but with regards to sleeper sizes, it is really part of a package. I don't think I pass the cost to drivers, but would readily acknowledge it is part of my operating costs. I would rather have folks in a truck they like verses one they tolerate. On the other side, I could put absolute junk out there and pay the driver more?
One of those, "just not how we roll".

Absolutely agree, Dave.

Now I'm done... until someone else puts words in my mouth. :p

JENNANDDUSTY

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Was simply a question asking why the 60/40 is hard to find there, and thanks to a few contributors, I got an educated answer.

Casper0418

Rookie Expediter
There is no reason to be ashamed of making a decent profit - it's what we're all working for, isn't it? There are reasons other than money to base a decision on, which no one mentioned, but they matter, too.
The only reason to be ashamed is if one is cheating, or being deceptive, to increase their profit unfairly, and Tom is not doing that, to the best of my knowledge - and I do know how to operate a calculator, lol.
I can only speak for this driver, but I think Tom & Tina are doing fine as fleet owners.

I certainly hope so. We're planning on using their business model to start our fleet and I certainly hope we make money in this venture!! :)

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Thank you very much. All i can say is we try hard to always do the right thing. Nothing is more important to us than our drivers. We look at it as they help us and we help them.

You will make a profit for your trucks in your venture but that is what its suppose to do. You have to or you wont be in business very long. Its all about teamwork. I expect my drivers to let me know if they have an issue with anything the same as we will them. Its not griping or whining its simple business and understanding and a willingness to work on solutions. It has to be that way if its going to be successful. We are fortunate that we have great drivers who understand what we are doing and are willing to embrace anything we see thats not working and are willing to do what is needed. Your staunch business sense is what will make your business work but your drivers are you business.

Good luck to you and holler if you have any questions !!!!!!!!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Maybe owner's should go back to the 50/50 now that fuel is coming down. That is the way contractors was paid before fuel started going up. We didn't have a FSC back then either. Driver's today want the 96 inch sleeper with all the bells and whistles. That is great, but the truck owners have higher truck payments because of drivers wants and needs. Back in 1995 a D unit with a 60 inch sleeper was selling for $62,500.00. A C unit with a 48 inch double bunk sleeper sold for $47,500.00. I understand how you feel. You want what you feel you're worth in pay. We all do, people have a choice to drive for who ever they wish to.

Fuel is going down, but the taxes aren't, and neither is the cost of living, and the rates haven't risen to offset the increases, either. If we don't get more compensation when numerous costs go up, why should we get less because one cost is not? Especially when the FS will decline to compensate for lower prices. FS isn't supposed to be a profit item, correct?
And about the "96 in sleeper": a worker is only as good as his tools. Give me the bare minimum, and that's what you should expect in return. I don't know what "all the bells & whistles" means, exactly, but I do know that staying out for weeks & months at a time requires dedication and sacrifices that "daytrippers" don't have, and yesterday's options [in terms of vehicular lingo] are today's standard equipment. Yes, the prices are higher, but in what time and/or place did they ever go the other way? :confused:
Now I'm going to relax in the jacuzzi, lol.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fuel is going down, but the taxes aren't, and neither is the cost of living, and the rates haven't risen to offset the increases, either. If we don't get more compensation when numerous costs go up, why should we get less because one cost is not? Especially when the FS will decline to compensate for lower prices. FS isn't supposed to be a profit item, correct?
And about the "96 in sleeper": a worker is only as good as his tools. Give me the bare minimum, and that's what you should expect in return. I don't know what "all the bells & whistles" means, exactly, but I do know that staying out for weeks & months at a time requires dedication and sacrifices that "daytrippers" don't have, and yesterday's options [in terms of vehicular lingo] are today's standard equipment. Yes, the prices are higher, but in what time and/or place did they ever go the other way? :confused:

Cost of living is and has been going up for everyone along the food chain...You accepted the job and signed the contract "as is" .............live with it....driver... :0

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lower fuel prices are only temporary so debate based on fsc is kind of fruitless.

tknight

Veteran Expediter

Haha is that jacuzzi in your 98" sleeper, if so there goes your weight capacity, especially when filled with hot chicks!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lower fuel prices are only temporary

You seem to be saying that as an absolute. You're probably right, but no one really knows. Back when fuel hit 5 bucks, there were "experts" saying it would never go down and get ready for 10 bucks. Yet, here we are...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Let me try to help. The definition of those "bells and whistles" is about 100k.:cool: With that said, you have to find the best balance you can. That is the biggest hurdle our industry and others have. Trying to operate year after year for essentially the same money. That is why you have many nameless carriers in a constant state of trying to pick your pocket. But it is the same supply and demand issue that has been here for years.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Let me try to help. The definition of those "bells and whistles" is about 100k.:cool: With that said, you have to find the best balance you can. That is the biggest hurdle our industry and others have. Trying to operate year after year for essentially the same money. That is why you have many nameless carriers in a constant state of trying to pick your pocket. But it is the same supply and demand issue that has been here for years.

That explains why I'm unfamiliar with all the bells & whistles, lol, cause it would need a team to support that kind of outlay, and I don't wanna go there.
I was just poking Bruno for his "drivers don't know or care how tough it is for fleet owners" shtick. ;)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Haha is that jacuzzi in your 98" sleeper, if so there goes your weight capacity, especially when filled with hot chicks!

Don't got a jacuzzi, or a 98" sleeper, and if I did, and found any "hot chicks" in it, they'd be hotter than they wanna be, and I'd be smiling angelically, as I sprinkle in the Zatarains, lol. :eek:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Don't got a jacuzzi, or a 98" sleeper, and if I did, and found any "hot chicks" in it, they'd be hotter than they wanna be, and I'd be smiling angelically, as I sprinkle in the Zatarains, lol. :eek:

That's might good stuff mmmmm mmmmm good !

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

You never know about people... I didn't picture Cheri as a cannibal...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You never know about people... I didn't picture Cheri as a cannibal...

Dude: do you eat everything you kill? The Zatarain's is just cause I like the smell of it, but even when it's crab & shrimp 'berling', I don't eat the stuff - yechh! I'd rather have a nice grilled cheese sandwich, thank you. :)